question of the day Friday feb 17th

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not particularly. I'm a bit of a homebody. I don't mind travelling within Canada but I hate flying and airports. I'm weird, I know.
I haven't been on a plane or in an airport since pre 9-11, so I'd rather sit it out, too. I am not crazy about crowds to begin with and I remember the plane felt claustrophobic, it was so crowded.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been on a plane or in an airport since pre 9-11, so I'd rather sit it out, too. I am not crazy about crowds to begin with and I remember the plane felt claustrophobic, it was so crowded.
Any flight over a couple of hours and I can't handle it. I'd never make it to Australia. Even Mexico was a stretch for me. I'd much rather get in the car and go across country. No crowds, no line-ups, no turbulence and suffocation, lol.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any flight over a couple of hours and I can't handle it. I'd never make it to Australia. Even Mexico was a stretch for me. I'd much rather get in the car and go across country. No crowds, no line-ups, no turbulence and suffocation, lol.
Be glad you weren’t on the flight Mum and I did from Melbourne to London in the 90s - the aircon on the plane broke down soon after we left Sydney and we were stuck in the departure lounge in Bangkok for five hours while they repaired it. No suggestion of putting an entire 747-load of passengers in a hotel, either. Oh no, just let them sit on the floor.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it’s better for the planet if we all don’t fly! There’s a great book by David Haskell called “The Forest Unseen,” about studying one square foot of land for a year. It is delightfully well written. Just sort of, another way to ‘travel,’ for those of us who can’t go anywhere due to cats, etc.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to travel, but I don't have the money to do it as much as I want. I have at least one trip planned this year and that is Maine in June with my mom and I might be going to New Orleans with my sister in November or December. Next year I want to do a road trip with my dogs to some national parks or national forests and go hiking, but that would require more planning so I'm putting it off until next year.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I flew across the country once, and it didn't take very long, that's for sure! But had I the time, driving would have been so cool and such a great way to see the country. If I had unlimited money, knowledge, bravery, and no ties to home, I would love to drive from Alaska to Cape Horn (and find a way to cross the Darien Gap, hence the bravery thing). Dream big! :lol:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love to travel, but I don't have the money to do it as much as I want. I have at least one trip planned this year and that is Maine in June with my mom and I might be going to New Orleans with my sister in November or December. Next year I want to do a road trip with my dogs to some national parks or national forests and go hiking, but that would require more planning so I'm putting it off until next year.
Tag and I went to a LOT of places near by, we went to small parks and big ones. We stopped at a few random ones we discovered on the way home from trials, and spent some time at Lakeside Marblehead on Lake Erie. I felt more comfortable at Lake Erie than anywhere else because the areas we visited were so wide and open, and there was no way for an off leash dog to surprise us.
I would say go for it and have fun! Just be sure to bring plenty of dog supplies, AND a first aid kit for you both! 🐶

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IF I had an obscene amount of money, I'd go to Scotland and spend an entire year there. I'd stay near my father's clan seat, and just spend the time exploring, a bit at a time. And that much time, with a home base, would allow me to take Miss Thang with me. Not going anywhere for a year without my purr therapist!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Exactly! I never like flying to begin with but when 9/11 happend I knew I would never fly again.
I was on that plane less than 18 months before 9/11, and when 9/11 happened I remember thinking "hope you enjoyed your plane ride."
I've been up in private crafts (4 seaters) and while it was exciting and fun, IDK if I'd do it again. It was one of those things where I was fine *if* I didn't think about being in a tiny tuna can thousands of feet in the air! The minute I thought about it, I got woozy.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE travelling. An no one is going to stop me from doing it. The expansion of knowledge in culture and history, the mental break and rest, the stimulation and social connections, the adventures and learning new things about yourself, practicing a new language etc So happy to be doing it again this summer - going to France! Versailles, Mont-St-Michel, beaches of Normandy where D-Day happened, Vimy Ridge, Paris Catacombs, Louvre, Giverny etc So excited! Have other destination goals for afterward too in the future, like Portugal, Japan, Scotland, Belgium etc I don't really like staycations that much.

(I also have a little mini tradition where I donate to the local animal shelters when travelling)

I am but a humble and very overworked middle class millennial, who has done a lot to give back to society, I go on a economy plane once or twice a year while sipping drinks with a melted carboard straw. Harp on the ultra rich with their private jets or gigantic yachts who travel 50 times a year.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be glad you weren’t on the flight Mum and I did from Melbourne to London in the 90s - the aircon on the plane broke down soon after we left Sydney and we were stuck in the departure lounge in Bangkok for five hours while they repaired it. No suggestion of putting an entire 747-load of passengers in a hotel, either. Oh no, just let them sit on the floor.
What an absolute nightmare!

I was flying (alone) to Vancouver a few years ago to see my grandkids. Shortly after take-off the plane caught on fire and we had to go back. Talk about terrified. It would only happen to me, lol. We had to wait a few hours for another flight but that was bad enough. You could smell the smoke in the cabin. Scary.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes and no. I hate the process of traveling. I hate the prep; getting the house set up, everyone packed and a sitter arranged for Mooch who will handle her meds and routine well. It's STRESSFUL!!

I do enjoy the places we visit. I love being with my family and DH's. I enjoy the change of pace and scenery and making memories with my kids. The ONLY thing about the lockdowns was not having to travel. Starting to travel again was mentally very difficult because it is just such a crazy mental load for me.
Packing is the second worst thing about travel. Unpacking is the #1 worst thing!
On the rare occasion I go somewhere, I usually spend 2 weeks making a list of things I need to take, then I get far enough away that turning around is out of the question and realize I forgot something incredibly important.
Going to agility or obedience trials with Tag was almost a joke, I'd pack the car up so tight it was like playing tetris getting everything in there, then we'd return and I hadn't used 98% of the "essentials" I had packed. :sigh:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IF I had an obscene amount of money, I'd go to Scotland and spend an entire year there. I'd stay near my father's clan seat, and just spend the time exploring, a bit at a time. And that much time, with a home base, would allow me to take Miss Thang with me. Not going anywhere for a year without my purr therapist!
IF I could get there without suffering the indignities visited on air travellers by the TSA goons, I would also like to see Scotland. My paternal grandmother was Scots on both sides; her father's ancestral home was north of Inverness, but I haven't been able to track down where her mother's family was from.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
N NY cat man Scotland is littered with members of BOTH sides of my family. The Elliots were border reivers, and my immediate branch was rounded up and deported to Ulster, Ireland, later becoming part of the "Scotch-Irish" or "Ulster Scots," depending on where in the world you happen to be from. But there are also two highland branches, and a couple more lowland branches. I'd like to track them all down.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I love traveling especially if I do it with my family of 10. This year I would really want to bring them either to Da Nang in Vietnam or to Jeju Island in SK. Magnificent cities!