Question Of The Day, Friday, August 31

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: Happy Friday! :yess: A three-day weekend coming up!

We're going into September tomorrow and fall is right around the corner. What foods or meals are you looking forward to eating or making? Do you cook differently during the cooler months?

I'm looking for more in the way of stews and casseroles. Beef stew, pork roasts roasted chickens, pumpkin breads and cookies. Lots of apples! Pies, apple dumplings. More baking, especially breads. We'll still use the grill from time to time, but I like having the oven on when it's cool outside. I like having heartier meals.

How about you?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like heartier meals, too. All the ones mentioned. In the summer, I like to keep salads, like potato or macaroni or tuna in the fridge and just help myself at mealtime. I will be looking forward to pumpkin bread, too. My favorite and I finally found some Zante currants. And apple/walnut/cranberry pie.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I make more soups and stews this time of year. I'm looking forward to all things pumpkin flavored. :clap:

It-is-Pumpkin-Season-Applique-Machine-Embroidery-Design-Digitized-Pattern-700x700.jpg

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the best butternut squash soup recipe. I'm looking forward to that and to honeycrisp apples being in season.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do a lot more with the crock pot, I actually rarely use it in the summer. Stews, soups, chili, chuck roast with carrots and potatoes, there is more. My crock pot definitely makes up for no use in the summer.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything in the slow cooker that makes the entire place smell delicious is welcome when you walk inside from rain, mud, and wind. Ahh =)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't cook very differently through the year other than using more seasonal foods when available. I'll use the crockpot in summer, and grill fish in winter. It more depends on what we want to eat, not when.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like Casserole type dishes with lotsa cheese.
I want to learn to make Eggplant Parmesan this fall or winter.
I'm thinking of going vegetarian for a month or two.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoy chili and stew season. Mostly because I can throw dinner in the crock pot and enjoy it later! I'm looking forward to making a pumpkin chocolate chip cake too.
I became a crock pot believer one night when I was out with 3 dogs and a few horses during a very windy, rainy evening turned night. When the horses were in and given straw and hay and feed, the dogs and I ran to the house, opened the door, and the smell of the most delicious beef stew I've ever had hit my nose.
Imprinting matters I guess, but since then I'm eyeing the crock pot the moment I notice the morning weather feels a little "nippy" (which it has been!)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I def cook mor ein the cooler months. I hardy turn my oven on in the summer as it's just too hot.

But I am really looking forward to making apple sauce in my crock pot. and apple cidar
We used to make apple sauce and cider when I was a kid. :redheartpump:
(Technically I made some today when I steered the mower under an apple tree and mashed and shredded the fallen worm eaten apples to bits...)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the big difference here is that i'll use the oven to bake casseroles and desserts starting in the fall, once the weather starts cooling down. my range oven has been 'on hiatus' since June 1st -- i won't use it during the hot weather months, and cook/freeze ahead so i don't need to.

i'm really looking forward to baking a pepperoni pizza, as well as some oatmeal peanut butter cookies -- i have dough balls for these in the freezer already! :yummy: and i'll be very happy to make rolls and buns again -- using the bread machine to make the dough, then form into rolls, rise, and bake in the oven. :D

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't really cook any differently in the fall than summer, except for more soups in my crockpot.

But I am really looking forward to making apple sauce in my crock pot.
Mmmmm.... I love apple sauce. And apple pie. And apple crisp. I pretty much love all warm apple desserts. :yummy:

I'm thinking of going vegetarian for a month or two.
There's quite a few of us vegetarians here, so just let us know if you need tips, recipes, etc.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
One of my favorite comfort foods to make during winter is vegetarian chili with homemade cornbread.
One of my favorite brews to get outside of the house is a Holiday Spiced Flat White, love that espresso drink.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
neely neely --Oh man, when I go vegetarian, I'm gonna need your vegetarian chili recipe for sure. :)