Question of the Day, Friday, April 1

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! And Happy April Fools!

What is your most remembered April Fools joke that you either played on somebody or that somebody did to you?

Years ago, right after I got a new-to-me car, my dad called me. "Pam, I was in town. What the h*ll happened to your car?" And by that time, I was out the door, down the steps, and running out to my car. I scoured that car from top to bottom and couldn't find a thing wrong. Nothing. Came back into the house, and Dad called me back. When I said, "Hello?" he was laughing like crazy. "April Fool!" And I hung up on him. Called him back, of course, and apologized. He was still laughing.

It hit me then that, had anything really happened to my car, Dad wouldn't have gone home and called me. If he was really in town, he would have been in my house so fast it would have made my head spin, wondering what the heck happened. He got me. He got me good.

What did you do? Or what did somebody else do to you?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don’t normally do April Fools jokes. But one time I took a screenshot of our computer desktop and made that the background. Then I dragged all the desktop icons to the trash can so nothing worked when you clicked on it. DH got on the computer before work for some reason and wasn’t so amused. :lol:

I’m telling my kids thegovernment decided we need an extra day in March so its actually March 32nd. Let’s see what they think.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I put in my 'resignation' I think I'll 'call' in sick today :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok so I took a sharpie and wrote it on the calendar while telling the kids we just have to write it in this year and to be sure they write today's date 3/32/2022 today. DD looked at her Fit Bit and said "I guess they have to update the satellites." :oops: :lol: They had a brief discussion on updating history textbooks (we did just learn about the Roman calendar in History). And then DD figured out it was an April Fools joke. Although they didn't believe me about that at first either. :lol::dunno: DS was bummed he didn't get to flip the calendars. :lol2:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My senior year of high school, a plot was hatched targeting our Civics teacher, Jerry B. It involved one of those weather balloons- the kind that are 6' across when inflated- and a couple cans of talcum powder. On the night of March 31, several unnamed- (ahem)- miscreants snuck into the school, which wasn't locked in those days, slipped the uninflated balloon and its powder contents under the classroom door, inflated it, tied off the neck, and then slipped that under the door as well. The next morning, I was at my locker, about 30 ft. from the door when Jerry arrived. He set his briefcase down, took out the door key, opened the door, and just stopped cold. The real fun was when he tried to deflate it. The balloon exploded, and Jerry's dark blue suit instantly became a white suit. Fun times, those.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I used to work in radio, and so remember the stuff other announcers did.
Once the an announcer in Hobart told everyone that the Derwent river (Hobart sits on either side of it) was so low that all the ferries were getting grounded. He asked everyone to, on the count of three, flush the toilet. Not great environmentally of course and now it would be a no go, but it was clever.
I remember when we went metric.. from inches, feet etc to centimetres etc. The announcer then said he was having trouble getting his head around metric time. That really did throw a few people.

But I'm a bit like Monalyssa.. I don't much like pranks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like silly stuff, like the reptile groups on Facebook keep having posts like "look at my boa constrictor, she laid eggs" (boas give birth to live young) or "look at this mummified T-Rex they found in Idaho" (obviously 80 million years is a little long for mummification!). That's fine. But I don't like pranks that would have any kind of physical effect on anyone, or humiliate them in public.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work in radio, and so remember the stuff other announcers did.
Once the an announcer in Hobart told everyone that the Derwent river (Hobart sits on either side of it) was so low that all the ferries were getting grounded. He asked everyone to, on the count of three, flush the toilet. Not great environmentally of course and now it would be a no go, but it was clever.
I remember when we went metric.. from inches, feet etc to centimetres etc. The announcer then said he was having trouble getting his head around metric time. That really did throw a few people.

But I'm a bit like Monalyssa.. I don't much like pranks.
The simultaneous flushing could have caused collapsed water mains. They don't like sudden large drops in pressure. Also, it knocks off sediments and scale and causes clogging of fixtures.

There really was some attempt at a metric clock in the 18th century or something like that. That it had ten hours is all I remember. Never caught on, probably because 12 has more factors than 10.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The simultaneous flushing could have caused collapsed water mains. They don't like sudden large drops in pressure. Also, it knocks off sediments and scale and causes clogging of fixtures.
See, this is why I don't like pranks. I don't mind a silly joke now and then or gentle teasing that makes me laugh. But destructive pranks and jokes I just don't get.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone at stroller strides said they were going to make cupcakes that looked like hamburgers for dinner and then have meatloaf that looked like cupcakes for dessert (with mashed potato frosting). Now that's the kind of prank I can get behind.

I'm too lazy to pull something like that off, but I bet the talented in the kitchen Winchester Winchester could.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Me, too. I do not like pranks. The last April Fool's Day joke said to me was when a friend said she won the lottery jackpot. I forgot it was April 1st, so I totally believed her.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I told my husband I was pregnant. He was 51 and I was 45...his face went white, hee, hee.
He said but you always have said no to kids after what happened!!! (incident)
When I said jk the look on his face was priceless :lol2:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like pranks. That's why I didn't like the TV show "The Office". Jim and Dwight were always pulling stupid pranks on each other.