question from new member

mgs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have a 13 month old Egyptian Mau/ Siamese cross named Nefertiti. Every Saturday I visit my parents for dinner and I have been bringing the cat each time. Everything has been going well until about 2 months ago. Since then, as soon as I arrive, she will hide under a bed and stay there the entire duration of my visit. It is also difficult to get her out from under the bed when it is time to leave. She doesn't hiss or bite or anything, she just grips the rug and won't move. She doesn't seem to like the car ride there and back because she whines constantly. I also have her in the carrying case while in the car. I know it's not the case that she dislikes, because she often will sleep in it at home. I think it's the car ride she doesn't like and that she is seeking to avoid. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mgs

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats get more and more territorial as they age. Your cat is being taken from "her" territory to a strange place that probably smells different every time she goes there. I would leave her at home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mgs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mother likes it when I bring her for a visit. Nefertiti is like her grandaughter. However, considering the cat's increasing territorial nature, I suppose Mom will have to visit me in order to see her.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you said it yourself--she doesn't like the car ride. Cats are creatures of habit; she now knows that the car ride is followed by a period of spending time in an unfamiliar place, and then another car ride. No wonder she's avoiding it whenever she can!