Question For Those Who Have Used Atopica

grzina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been on Atopica for just a little over two weeks. Already I've noticed a significant decrease in the itching. In fact, his fur seems thicker, scabs are gone, etc. I was very impressed because I expected it to take longer to work. Then today he seems itchy. Should I be worried that Atopica isn't working or will he just have some itchier days than others?

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had a cat on Atopica...but for something else. Atopica is an immunosuppressant which suppresses the cat's immune system which is responsible for the allergic reaction; ie itching. While it does suppress the immune system, it does not completely shut it down. Hence your cat will have some "itchy" days, however, the frequency and intensity should lessen over time.

Normally, it takes a daily dose of Atopica for a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks to see a resolution of symptoms. The fact that you have seen significant improvement in just a little over two weeks shows that the Atopica is indeed working. I would not be worried at this time.

Your cat is probably on a higher dose of Atopica now, but with resolution of symptoms, his dosage may be tapered by decreasing the frequency. Your Vet could advise on this.

Joe Kremyr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been on Atopica for just a little over two weeks. Already I've noticed a significant decrease in the itching. In fact, his fur seems thicker, scabs are gone, etc. I was very impressed because I expected it to take longer to work. Then today he seems itchy. Should I be worried that Atopica isn't working or will he just have some itchier days than others?

Joe Kremyr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have our cat on A..1 pill every 2 days prescribed by our Vet..if we didn't do this she would start scratching etc...I don't no what dosage cat is on but our is.....25 mg for dogs....works for us ....cat happy...we are happy.....just keep up with the pills

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It takes about 30 days to take full effect. I am giving the dog version 25mg daily. In the beginning because my girl had such a severe case of allergies we also used a steroid which helped until the atopica kicked in. I have noticed this is a very bad allergy season even on the atopica she seems itchier some days than others.

Joe Kremyr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agreed....I noticed the last few days I can c a lil bump that wants to come out on her ear...We might have to start daily if it breaks out but for now every 2nd day seems to work...I feel so sry for them but b4 A she was a mess..eyebrows gone... ...hair on ears gone an scabby from scratchin etc...I hope this site helps cat lovers who spend money on meds that will not work and use Atopica 25mg for dogs...so far so good...using A for at least close to 5 yrs...

Last edited:

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Agreed....I noticed the last few days I can c a lil bump that wants to come out on her ear...We might have to start daily if it breaks out but for now every 2nd day seems to work...I feel so sry for them but b4 A she was a mess..eyebrows gone... ...hair on ears gone an scabby from scratchin etc...I hope this site helps cat lovers who spend money on meds that will not work and use Atopica 25mg for dogs...so far so good...using A for at least close to 5 yrs...
My kitty has been suffering with allergies, well that's what I have been told by 3 different veterinarians. this poor 4 year old cat has been to a vet 6xs in less than 2 years. She has been on antibiotics (I feel too many times) given steroids pills, and now prescribed Atopica. My fear is her immune system is already weakened and I'm afraid to give her Atopica. Especially since I Still have no idea what she is allergic to, food, dust, bugs, (no fleas) we do have a spider problem. She is also an extremely scared cat. I've had cats for 20plus years and have never had or know of a cat like her. And I've had her since she was a kitten. You said you have been giving your cat Atopica for 5 years, so you give him anything to boost his immune system? Sorry for this long message. I have been reading so many posts and articles, when I read the 5years I just needed to ask you. Thank you.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For those using Atopica, have / will you have the kitty tested for allergies? Will you follow up with the injections?

My Bobby was scratching to the point of bleeding; this is years ago when he was a kitten. I had the allergy testing done, and gave the injections for a year. Not been a probelm, since. He was allergic to several types of trees and several types of grasses, all of which were in either my yard or my neighbors' yards. Bobby is indoor only.

Also, I have an online friend with a cat on Atopica. She knows it is an environmental allergy, and she often has him wear a tshirt or sweater (winter months). That helps her cat a great deal.

Joe Kremyr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty has been suffering with allergies, well that's what I have been told by 3 different veterinarians. this poor 4 year old cat has been to a vet 6xs in less than 2 years. She has been on antibiotics (I feel too many times) given steroids pills, and now prescribed Atopica. My fear is her immune system is already weakened and I'm afraid to give her Atopica. Especially since I Still have no idea what she is allergic to, food, dust, bugs, (no fleas) we do have a spider problem. She is also an extremely scared cat. I've had cats for 20plus years and have never had or know of a cat like her. And I've had her since she was a kitten. You said you have been giving your cat Atopica for 5 years, so you give him anything to boost his immune system? Sorry for this long message. I have been reading so many posts and articles, when I read the 5years I just needed to ask you. Thank you.
Hi...sry bout ur kitty having probs like that..our cat was given all above but with no results...we have not given anything to boost her immune system etc...after giving her A she gets her yearly checkups with blood work etc and is in good health...hope this helps ...

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For those using Atopica, have / will you have the kitty tested for allergies? Will you follow up with the injections?

My Bobby was scratching to the point of bleeding; this is years ago when he was a kitten. I had the allergy testing done, and gave the injections for a year. Not been a probelm, since. He was allergic to several types of trees and several types of grasses, all of which were in either my yard or my neighbors' yards. Bobby is indoor only.

Also, I have an online friend with a cat on Atopica. She knows it is an environmental allergy, and she often has him wear a tshirt or sweater (winter months). That helps her cat a great deal.
The vet gave me liquid Atopica. No shots ever, even the steroid was a pill. When she received a shot of antibiotics, she got worse. So she is taking oral antibiotics now. I wanted the dermatologist vet to do allergy testing to see if it was environmental or food but they said it's not conclusive. So your vet tested Bobby and determined it was environmental? My Cream is indoor as well but like all cats, she loves the window open. We have been living here for over 2yrs, her skin issues started less than a year of moving here. I've always believed in my gut it environmental but the vets keep saying food allergies. And have only done blood
Work. Which keeps coming back he same, Just having An infection. I would a post a picture but it's too sad. I would put a sweater on her if she wasn't such a scared kitty. Literally everything scares her. This also started when we moved here.

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long has your kitty been on Atopica? Is it the liquid form? So you give anything to help boost immune system?

Joe Kremyr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long has your kitty been on Atopica? Is it the liquid form? So you give anything to help boost immune system?
she has been on A for over 5yrs...25mg pills for dogs...nothing for immune... her blood work comes back fine..she had bloody ears...no eyebrows..scabby bleeding etc...I swear by A...cat happy..mom and dad happy...if my cat I would stop all the blood work etc but I'm no vet just saying what we did and working great....gl...

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hello
Yes, we plan on going forward in the next month or two and getting the inter dermal testing where they sedate the kitty and shave an area and check for about 72 different allergens. Then based on those results - they mix up allergy injections. We are also currently giving atopica for dogs 25 mg only because it's so simple to administer. The long term goal is to get her down to about 3-4 days of atopica per week as well as adding in the allergy shots ( which I have been told are life long, it's not like humans where you only give them for a year or two, this is a long term life long thing but apparently it's only 1x per week and then it tapers down even more I believe ).
Isn't it funny ,there are so many posts on the board about cats with severe itching and allergies - I never remember growing up any of my cats having these issues and we have quite a few cats - makes you wonder if it's something in the foods, or litter.....something has changed in the world of cats that is now causing all of these itchy kitties....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grzina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Boots has been on liquid Atopica for 4 weeks. The itching was nearly gone! My vet said to now go to every other day. Well, there's a huge difference between every day and every other day. We have been on every other day now for a week. He is itching more and back to biting his paws, and over grooming. Before the Atopica, he itched and licked to the point that he made scabs and bare spots. He's not at that point. The vet says some people have managed to decrease the dosage to once a week and the goal is to be on the lowest effective dose. I cannot see how this is going to be possible considering where we are at for every other day. So, for those who have weaned off Atopica, will he settle down after getting used to the every other day dosage? Is it possible this is my lowest effective dosage? FYI, we don't know what is triggering the allergies. Food is suspect and so far he has refused LID Natural Balance, LID Natures Variety, Prescription Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein. If this is as good as it gets, I'm ok with it but disappointed that I can't wean him off the Atopica more. Wanting to hear other's experiences with weaning off Atopica.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Isn't it funny ,there are so many posts on the board about cats with severe itching and allergies - I never remember growing up any of my cats having these issues and we have quite a few cats - makes you wonder if it's something in the foods, or litter.....something has changed in the world of cats that is now causing all of these itchy kitties....
Yes, I have wondered about this as well. My two cats are going through the exact same symptoms as the other cats described here - shaking their heads constantly, itching their heads, chewing their feet, etc. I changed them over from Orijen to a new cat food (Iams Proactive Health), changed their litter (now using Fresh Step Simply Unscented), vacuum regularly and wash bed clothes, etc. They are also taking Revolution monthly, yet they still suffer from excessive itching. My boy Butch to the point where he pulls tufts of fur out of his head. He also has scabs and sores sometimes around his head.

I live in a basement environment now, where before we lived in a house and the cats never had any of the issues they do now. I'm assuming it's environmental and possibly dust mites or some form of mites. However, their ears are clean and I don't see any crust or gunk in them. I'm just wondering if it's due to the screwed up weather (being very warm and dry) that's causing the increase in bugs and such effecting the cats. But it's odd that when we were living at the house neither of the cats had any problems at all.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Boots has been on liquid Atopica for 4 weeks. The itching was nearly gone! My vet said to now go to every other day. Well, there's a huge difference between every day and every other day. We have been on every other day now for a week. He is itching more and back to biting his paws, and over grooming. Before the Atopica, he itched and licked to the point that he made scabs and bare spots. He's not at that point. The vet says some people have managed to decrease the dosage to once a week and the goal is to be on the lowest effective dose. I cannot see how this is going to be possible considering where we are at for every other day. So, for those who have weaned off Atopica, will he settle down after getting used to the every other day dosage? Is it possible this is my lowest effective dosage? FYI, we don't know what is triggering the allergies. Food is suspect and so far he has refused LID Natural Balance, LID Natures Variety, Prescription Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein. If this is as good as it gets, I'm ok with it but disappointed that I can't wean him off the Atopica more. Wanting to hear other's experiences with weaning off Atopica.
I think right now, the allergy season is terrible all around the country. I was skipping 2 days during the week of atopica, skipping Saturday and Wed dose but I noticed she was licking more again and the dermo said it's just a terrible season right now and to go back for now to daily dosing until things outside settle down.

Joe Kremyr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think right now, the allergy season is terrible all around the country. I was skipping 2 days during the week of atopica, skipping Saturday and Wed dose but I noticed she was licking more again and the dermo said it's just a terrible season right now and to go back for now to daily dosing until things outside settle down.
Wow!!!...hearing all these terrible stories bout those poor cats...
Wow!!! hearing all those terrible stories bout those poor cats...We have had cats for as long as I can remember but the last 2 have had allergies....1st one got needled once month and I think it shortened her life a bit...the one we have now and I have to thank our Vet who is very caring bout goin on internet etc and finding A for us...our cat gets a pill every other day and np now with scratching etc....she has been on A for over 5 yrs and so far so good....I'm not a vet but the less stress I put on my cat the better...just try the simple things 1st...hope this helps other cat lovers...hugzzz to all who want them and gl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grzina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I'm going to do what you are doing. (skipping only Saturday and Wednesday) and see how it goes. Going from every day to every other day is just too drastic! It is interesting that it took 4 weeks to work, but only one week to significantly head back in the other direction!