Question for the breeders

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, some might remember me but if not be assured that I am a serious breeder. I've been breeding and showing Egyptian Maus for 5 years.

My latest queen prospect came of age in the Spring and I have been waiting to breed her. She came into her first strong heat in January but was too young, so I waited. In early June she appeared to be in heat but it was not strong, she rawred a few times, so I introduced her to the male by keeping her in an enclosure next to him. Once they were friendly, I put them together but didn't witness a mating. My grandfather passed away that week and so I did not get a chance to watch them mate.

I brought her out after 4 days, and have been watching but she doesn't appear to be pregnant.

She has not gone back into heat, so I am wondering if she is having 'silent' heats, and if so, how am I going to know when to put her with the male? My males live in a separate cattery building, so I could put her in an enclosure beside them but I may miss any signals she is putting out.

Anyone have a female who doesn't have recognizable heats?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi hun! :doh3: of course we remember you! Well, sorry I can't be of help, since I am not a breeder, but I just wanted to offer you my condolences for the passing of your grandpa :hugs: and say welcome back to tcs :wavey:
:hugs:
Oh miss your kitties too, hope you post pictures soon, they are beautiful! Stick around!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My import girl doesn't call, I've watched for signs of silent heats too. She did call when I brought a stud in but since it was his first day of arrival I didn't put her with him.
My friend was still able to tell by smoochiness, paddling when the end of her back was scritched, basically like any other girl minus all the noise.

I'll probably pen her near the boy and see if he notices changes in her. And will get her further tested soon if nothing happens
I've mated 2 others so want to space this one out a bit while still making sure she's healthy

Mine did call at 4 months at the breeders awaiting export so spent 5 months on the pill, not a method I would use but common in that country.
Her sister is fertile and already raised her first litter.

Mine's also a low ranking girl so I've removed her from the other girls since some can hold off calls around other more dominant girls

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I had suspected this would be the answer as it is what I have been trying. Since she is a lap cat extraordinaire it will be difficult to determine when she is extra loving, but I will try. The only other cats in the house are a male kitten and a spayed female, so she is not having dominance issues. I think she is just not an expressive cycler. She is a year and a half old now so I have plenty of time.

Thanks for the advice Missy, I'll let you know if I figure this out :)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
18 months is quite old enough in mine, especially when her first cycle was 4 months.

Likewise mine's a smoocher so it's hard to tell. Good luck with your girl,  guess who spent last night here calling the night away! 
 Such a brat.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The continuing saga of trying to breed Sara... :)

She has silent, almost unrecognizeable heats and when she does act like she is in season- she flips upside down when the male scruffs her. I tried for months to witness a mating, but finally had to just leave her with the male alone. This wasn't a problem since they enjoy each other's company and sleep curled up together. But I left them together for two weeks and I am not positive when they mated. Fast forward and she is showing and has developing milk glands. I am taking her for an ultrasound or xray (we'll decide after the vet examines her) so I can get a better idea on how many are in there and if everything is going well. I'm nervous about the process after going through a pyometra with my first queen.

On a more positive note. She'll be the first female I have bred to have her own litter of kittens. Things haven't worked out with females from previous litters. Additionally, my mentor has a silver kitten coming up that she is interested in giving to me. I am very excited as her cats are consistently in the top 25 in CFA.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad she finally mated! 

Some girls do make the boys work for it 
 Can understand your nervousness, though I've not dealt with Pyo myself.

And congrats on her being a homebred girl, those litters are extra special. How exciting to have a new prospect as well. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure the vet can help much.  When she pinked up might be your best clue as to when she is due unless of course it happened while you were away...  Don't let him X-ray her though.  That exposes them all to a small amount of radiation which in my view is completely unnecessary in this situation.

Fingers crossed it all goes well, and well done to the boy for grabbing her when she would stand for him!

Last edited:

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I have bred and reared a number of litters in the last 6 years, but my first home-bred female's pregnancies wouldn't go to term so I spayed her, and this newest girl is difficult as heck to breed. It's just ironic I think when you see how many kittens are born in barns and under houses out in the wild.

Right now I only have two breeding animals and a pile of altered cats :) Will be nice to hear a herd of kitten/elephants romping around the house again.

My mentors Maus are absolutely stunning - I hope she chooses me as a home for one.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your first home bred girls, hope all runs smoothly this time, least she mated and it took

I only just had a litter from a home bred girl, held her off longer than usual. And the girl mentioned earlier had a litter and turned the raising over to another girl