Question For People Living In Warmer Climates: Do Your Cats Gain Weight During "winter"?

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So for the majority of my life I have been living in parts of the world where we had hot Summers and pretty cold Winters. My cats would usually lose a lot of weight during the spring, and chubby up during the autumn - in preparation for the upcoming season.

Now I live in south China and it's pretty warm throughout the year and I'm wondering if Marx will have similar flaxuations in weight?

The shedding seems to be the same. It's seems he's getting rid of his summer fur even though we have a couple more hot months left :D

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Ruby is an indoor only cat, so her activity level doesn't really change from season to season. But I could see how a indoor/outdoor cat might gain weight over the winter, when they were spending more time inside, therefore being less active.

Interesting topic. Hopefully more members will see this thread and reply.

As for shedding, the very first spring after I adopted her, Ruby seemed to shed more than she ever has since, but that could just be because, unlike now, I wasn't used to having fur everywhere! ;)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby is overweight - all year round - lol! But no, she doesn't get heavier in the winter time here in Florida. But she, like Ruby (rubysmama) is an indoor only cat, and it does make sense the indoor/outdoor cats might change weight somewhat between cooler and warmer months. But, you almost sound like your describing the weight gain was in advance of the cooler weather (like a bear getting ready to hibernate)?? Did your previous cats eat more during those times?

Feeby does go through the shedding and regrowth of hair based on the seasons, just as my previous cats did up north.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just read your thread title again, noticed the "living in warmer climates" part, and realized that me living in Canada, most definitely does not equal living in a warmer climate. :wink:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I live in Southern California, summers are 100F day and 85F night and winter's 60F during the days, nights we get one or two frost level nights but usually 40F.

My guys do get winter coats and summer coats. Rocket proactically puffs up in the winter. My rabbit also gets a dramatic coat change. Weight wise, I've never noticed a specific weight gain in the winter. My crew does spend nights indoors year round and has outside access during the day time.

When it's super hot they tend to spend more time outside and move around less. You should have seen them the day it hit 120F this summer, I came home and all three were as flat to the ground in the air condition as they could get (hardwood floors). I told them they had melted. The colder nights, 40F, they just seem to change sleeping spots to be right next to a human probably for a little extra warmth.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats always stay the same weight because I measure their food. They've basically stayed the same since about a year old.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am in Los Angeles, and like Kieka's cats, mine do get winter and summer coats, despite being completely indoor in a climate controlled house. During the summer, they love the AC and know where all the vents hit, and during the winter I never run the heat if am not at home (although I will leave the AC set so that they can maintain themselves in summer, plus I have a Cushing's dog), but put cushy blankets on the chairs and beds, and they do curl up on them. Weight always seemed individual to me as their food is always the same. The only heavy one is my diabetic cat.

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat will sometimes be a bit heavier at the end of winter. I try to stay aware of how much I feed him but it's so hard to do in the winter. I tend to snack a lot more when I'm bored and the winter can get pretty boring here in WI. Bodhi sees me eating and knows if he looks at me long enough I'll start to feel guilty and give him a treat even if it's only been a half hour since he was fed. lol

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie definitely gets a winter coat but Lilith really doesn't. Their weight stays pretty much the same though. We're in south Florida.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I maintain my cats weight and cut back if need be. She has always pretty much regulated her eating and weight gain well on her own. She has been a pretty consistant 7 lbs her whole 15 years.

How much weight is your cat losing? "A lot" can be pretty significant for a cat...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, the cats I used to have while I was in Europe were all outdoor cats. I didn't really weigh them, but you could tell the difference just by looking at them (especially with Diego, he was a pretty big fellow, in the summer he looked almost undernourished while in the winter he would turn into a ball of fur). Same thing happened with my aunts cats who lived on a farm. I always assumed it was a normal thing connected to their temperature regulations, kinda like how the fur changes with the seasons.