Question Cutting Nails Of Kitten

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I brought my 5 month old kitten to the vet, they clipped her nails for me. I still kind of feel uncomfortable doing them, I am one of those people where I have to DO something to learn it, and I don't really want to practice on my little pal. I feel like her nails are not really long at all though, she has a scratching post, a scratching ramp thing (we call it the kitty cat motorcycle ramp), and then a cat tower that she loves to hook on with her claws and pull herself into.

Does every cat need their nails trimmed? I know that is part of the reason why they need scratching posts, because that kind of "files" it down. If I have to do it I will do it, I just didn't really know when? I am sure that the vet was specific, but I was so overwhelmed and stressed that Emma was going to be scared that I probably was not paying the best attention. Emma was fine. LOL. Just sits there on the table while they examine her.

She definitely uses scratching posts a LOT. We put one at the top of the stairs, and then two at the bottom. Is it possible for them to get their nails down to a good level with that alone? Ever since we put the scratching post at the top of the stares it is great, because there is a kitty obstacle course every night. This was last night's adventure...(hopefully I am allowed to post a pic, if not please just let me know)

oc.jpg

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those scratching posts will sharpen her claws. When they start to feel like needles, you will have to trim them. It's not hard to do, and it's a good idea to get her used to it while she's young. Check YouTube - there's an excellent video that shows you how to do it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With most cats, you don't HAVE TO trim their nails, like a dog or rabbit. They take care of them quite well, usually (some older cats will let them overgrow, have to keep an eye on them). I only trim claws when they poke me. So if a particular cat doesn't stick his/her claws into me, they don't get trimmed. And they do fine without trimming.

I agree about watching Youtube videos---it's hard to explain the proper technique, seeing it is so much better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies! In the beginning, I would literally have tiny scratches all down my legs and arms, but I wouldn't even really feel them happening. It is starting to get a lot better, because she in the process of learning about retracting her claws and not injuring her treat provider :) The worst scratch (hopefully this is not TMI), but I was on the loo and she runs in the room, jumps up on my knee before I even know what is going on, and then slides off, nails scraping the whole way down. Great times with the kitty! I would like to say she didn't do that again, but oh yes she did. At least the second time she aimed better and legit sat in my lap. That is the moment I realized just how weird little kitties are!

Attachments

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would probably try to trim a kitten's nails frequently only because I have had experiences where their nails get caught in things and it can get quite dangerous. For example, I had a kitten that loved to play in the sink and one time got his nail stuck in the drain. He was screaming and crying as I imagine it really hurt.

It's good to get them used to having their paws touched and handled. Maybe trying rubbing her paws and gently pushing on them to expose her nails while she's sleeping. This could be a good step for you to get used to handling her paws and for her to get used to having you handle them.

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would probably try to trim a kitten's nails frequently only because I have had experiences where their nails get caught in things and it can get quite dangerous. For example, I had a kitten that loved to play in the sink and one time got his nail stuck in the drain. He was screaming and crying as I imagine it really hurt.

It's good to get them used to having their paws touched and handled. Maybe trying rubbing her paws and gently pushing on them to expose her nails while she's sleeping. This could be a good step for you to get used to handling her paws and for her to get used to having you handle them.
I never really thought about it as being dangerous for them, now I will do it as soon as they get sharp. I don't know why it freaks me out, like I am quite capable of doing other grosser things when it comes to Emma! I think a youtube video will definitely help, because then I can watch them do it once, then start it over and follow along. I think I just worry that I am going to hurt her, but I am quite an intelligent human being, so that probably will not happen as long as I go slowly :)

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never really thought about it as being dangerous for them, now I will do it as soon as they get sharp. I don't know why it freaks me out, like I am quite capable of doing other grosser things when it comes to Emma! I think a youtube video will definitely help, because then I can watch them do it once, then start it over and follow along. I think I just worry that I am going to hurt her, but I am quite an intelligent human being, so that probably will not happen as long as I go slowly :)
It's normal to be a little nervous your first time. Once you do it a few times you'll get the hang of it and it will become easy for you.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a helpful image someone posted in another thread:

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh! That is nice and simple!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are different style nail clippers, too. I use the little kitten scissors for my cats and guinea pigs. I think I cut the cats' nails about every 5 weeks. They grow out into a beautiful set of predator claws and I just snip the tips off and try not to go down to where the nail widens. The only cat that goes longer may be Amalie because I only do her back feet. She's front declawed and her rear nails go into my thighs. They don't get as sharp as the other three cats' front feet. I never need to clip their rears.
Try to get comfortable with handling the toe beans. It's really beneficial as they grow and mature that they are used to being mussed with, because you never know when you HAVE to do something like in an emergency and you want them to be used to you. Otherwise, if you prefer to let the vet do it, then have the vet do it.

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are different style nail clippers, too. I use the little kitten scissors for my cats and guinea pigs. I think I cut the cats' nails about every 5 weeks. They grow out into a beautiful set of predator claws and I just snip the tips off and try not to go down to where the nail widens. The only cat that goes longer may be Amalie because I only do her back feet. She's front declawed and her rear nails go into my thighs. They don't get as sharp as the other three cats' front feet. I never need to clip their rears.
Try to get comfortable with handling the toe beans. It's really beneficial as they grow and mature that they are used to being mussed with, because you never know when you HAVE to do something like in an emergency and you want them to be used to you. Otherwise, if you prefer to let the vet do it, then have the vet do it.
I am just in awe that you can trim guinea pig claws, and here I am worrying about a cat!! lol

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha. Guinea pigs can be super squirmy. I don't know your cat, but Stewart was a blast trying to train into getting trimmed. My boyfriend's brilliant idea was to bring this semi feral guy home, who we found out besides his behavioral problems has asthma, so he was permanently ours instead of a foster. 5 years later he's my lap cat, but he's still kind of crazy. Not so crazed that we have to tell the kids DO NOT TOUCH anymore.
He loves that cat. That cat is my step son.

mac n tosh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am terrified to clip my cats' claws. I know it's simple but I really think I will cut too low. I know how to do it but...

Don't worry about the loo, that's the only time Tosh will sit on my lap!