Question before clicking "place order"

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First I want to say a big THANK YOU to all that have complied so many wonderful resources in one place!  I have read, saved, and printed very many.

I have a FLUTD male that recently blocked even after being on RX diet.  I am starting the slow move to raw.  And yes, he is the picky one.  The others will steal raw chicken off the counter if I turn my back. 

Question:  Is there a certain type or brand raw for first timers that are better to start?  Texture, protein, etc.....  Right now cost is not an issue, will look for better costs AFTER my boy starts eating raw. 

I plan to order one of the low to no fruit/vegetable ones.  I have investigated all the commercial brands that meet the 95:5 or 100% meat, just not sure which to try first. 

I have read all the transition success post and am ready for the journey.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Darlene

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rad Cat and Felines Pride are well accepted by cats. They are veggie and fruit free. They're expensive but high quality.

BTW - I've heard of cats that blocked even when on an RX diet. I've also heard of cats that blocked even when on a raw diet. I suspect that a cat that blocks while on an RX diet might be one that could block even when on a raw diet. I hope the switch to raw helps your boy! My female is prone to struvite crystals and she has been crystal free for 5+ years on a raw diet.

Was the RX food wet or dry?

Good luck with your transition!

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats loved Rad Cat! Lamb is one that they went ga-ga over it! One of them however couldn't deal with it - she still can't eat any lamb...... But she is weird :rolleyes:
I never used Feline's Pride - the shipping cost was absurd. For the commercials, my choices were Rad Cat and Hare Today (Hare Today you need to add a supplement, but they sell it and it is easy)

Here is the link https://www.hare-today.com/index.php?cPath=21

You want the meat/bone/organs, fine ground - and here is the supplement to add on: https://www.hare-today.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=290

Good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
BTW - I've heard of cats that blocked even when on an RX diet. I've also heard of cats that blocked even when on a raw diet. I suspect that a cat that blocks while on an RX diet might be one that could block even when on a raw diet.
He was on the dry.  Could never get him to eat the canned RX, but still trying.  He will often stop eating the dry RX.  He does eat other non RX canned everyday.  He also had some trauma as a kitten from having his pee-pee nursed by a littermate until swollen, according to his rescuer.  He may be one of those that will have urinary issues that reoccur.  My thought is raw will be his best option.

Thank you for your suggestions.  Any other suggestions that you can offer will be appreciated as you have gone through the urinary issues.  So glad that your girl hasn't had any problems since going to a raw diet.  It's encouraging to hear! 

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info on Rad Cat and Hare Today!  Maybe I should include the Lamb early on because of my 4 boys this one classifies as "weird" too. 

You all inspire me with your experiences.  Makes me feel like I'm not alone. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooooo how exciting!

I don't know if you've read my experiences with Spooky over the last year, but it's been an interesting journey, with transitioning her to raw, her FLUTD, and her tendency to become constipated easily.

This is a bit of a diversion from the raw topic, but what type of stones were they? Do you see your boy pee frequently? I ask, because one thing that really helped me manage Spooky's FLUTD was (is) keeping track of her urine pH at home. All you have to be able to do is be able to slip a test strip in the stream of his pee for a few seconds. Not easy for everyone, depending on the kitty and our schedules. These are the strips I recommend. They test in 0.25 increments, which the others don't do.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PDB79W/?tag=&tag=thecatsite

If his issue has been struvite crystals, I have suggestions to help if his pH doesn't remain in that 6.5 - 6.75 range when on raw.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info on Rad Cat and Hare Today!  Maybe I should include the Lamb early on because of my 4 boys this one classifies as "weird" too. 

You all inspire me with your experiences.  Makes me feel like I'm not alone. 
You are most definitely not alone here in the raw forum!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If his issue has been struvite crystals, I have suggestions to help if his pH doesn't remain in that 6.5 - 6.75 range when on raw.
Yes, struvite crystals, mucous plug and pH of 8 !!!  I would love your suggestions on this.  I will look back and read about your experience with Spooky.

Mo Mo is a big cat (large head, tall) at 13 pounds, but he is a little thick in the middle.  He still has a good waistline.  He is also a high stress cat, jumps at the slightest noise and hides all day if there is a visitor/workman. 

Out of 4 cats he is the picky one and the sickly one.  I feel like raw food will give him the best chance. 

Thanks for the link on the test strips.  I will order some now.  Pretty sure I can sneak a test strip in the flow.

Thank you for your time. 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rad Cat gets my vote. Not only is it highly palatable it doesn't contain bone, which was my biggest concern for my struvite kitty, Mazy.

Regarding "prescription" foods. Dry is absolutely the worst thing you can feed a cat with urinary tract problems. The manufacturers make them because they sell. But it's so incredibly counterproductive to feed a cat who has blocked a dry diet I sometimes think vets should be accused of malpractice when they recommend these diets.

Mazy does get some bone in meals now, a couple times a week, and I test her urine using the strips. But it took me a long time to get to that point. I still do supplement with egg shell calcium for most of her prey model meals.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, struvite crystals, mucous plug and pH of 8 !!!  I would love your suggestions on this.  I will look back and read about your experience with Spooky.

Mo Mo is a big cat (large head, tall) at 13 pounds, but he is a little thick in the middle.  He still has a good waistline.  He is also a high stress cat, jumps at the slightest noise and hides all day if there is a visitor/workman. 

Out of 4 cats he is the picky one and the sickly one.  I feel like raw food will give him the best chance. 

Thanks for the link on the test strips.  I will order some now.  Pretty sure I can sneak a test strip in the flow.

Thank you for your time. 
I posted about it here and there and then finally consolidated it into one thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/255176/spookys-crystals-cystitis-back-at-the-vet

Basically, she's very highly strung. There are other options to manage his stress that may work for your boy:

Feliway
Bach's Rescue Remedy
L-theanine ("Suntheanine") http://www.ehow.com/about_6323937_suntheanine-pets.html
L-theanine treats - Composure by Vetri-Science
Nutri-calm

Obviously, you don't want to use all of them. If L-theanine or Nutri-calm had worked for Spooky, I would probably use them two or three weeks on; two or three weeks off (so she didn't become "dependent" on them).

I do use Feliway, but it's not enough.

For Spooky, to help keep her pH stable, I've had to use Elavil (amitriptyline); 5mg per day. Without it, her urine pH always creeps back up to 8.0 if I don't keep track of it and use L-methionine to acidify her urine.

L-methionine is an amino acid in meat, actually. This is why a raw diet is naturally acidifying, if there aren't other complications (such as stress, which can raise urine pH).

If you look at the ingredients in Hill's prescription c/d, you'll see the ingredient methionine - this is the acidifier they use to make the food target a neutral urine pH.

This is why the test strips are so important - IF using L-methionine, you do not want to overshoot and over-acidify the urine. 6.5 - 7.0 is a good range. (7.0 is neutral). The struvite crystals form in a urine environment that is too alkaline.

I used one 500mg capsule of L-methionine at each meal (three meals a day; total 1,500mg of L-methionine) for a while to help dissolve the sludge left in her bladder; she also received fluids at home. Once she was on the elavil (because none of the natural methods worked for her), I only give her L-methionine when her pH creeps back up. When she tests 7.0 or more (which isn't frequent any longer), I use 1/2 a capsule at her night-time meal (because that is the meal that is longest before another meal). If that doesn't bring it back down to below 7.0, I'll bump it to 1/2 a 500mg capsule 2x a day for a few days.

If you have a good working relationship with your vet, it's a good idea to discuss these options with your vet. :) (I used the L-methionine under guidance from my vet, who did the research to determine amounts).

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Laurie, thank you so much for taking the time to share that information with me.  It is most helpful.  This blockage happened a couple of weeks ago so I am evaluating everything to try in a sequence so I can tell what works.  Great information!

I am in a very rural area with no vet close by.  An hour away is an Alternative vet that I have used before and I am consulting her.  She supports raw, but not full vet service.  My regular vet, also an hour away is good but very set in the vet medicine teaching of only one way to treat an illness.....not per the individual situation.  Sad, but I am mostly on my own.  I have a medical background so I understand what is going on and what needs to be done, but have to think about a cat rather than a human.  Your information helps me so much and I can't thank you enough!

Hugs....

Darlene