Question About Stiches - Worst Time To Go In Heat

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are induced ovulators, but that doesn't mean they can get pregnant when they are not in heat! They must be in heat to get pregnant. However, it is possible to have a quiet heat cycle that the owner doesn't notice.
Saying "they must be in heat to get pregnant" makes it sound like the cat is safe to go outside when they are in between heat cycles without having to worry about getting pregnant. If they are intact, they can get pregnant at any time if a willing male is in the vicinity ;)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saying "they must be in heat to get pregnant" makes it sound like the cat is safe to go outside when they are in between heat cycles without having to worry about getting pregnant. If they are intact, they can get pregnant at any time if a willing male is in the vicinity ;)
I understand that you want to prevent unwanted pregnancies, which is a worthy goal, but I don't think that disseminating incorrect information is the best way to do that. "Induced ovulator" means that when the cat is in heat (in the "estrus" phase of her cycle), the stimulation of mating causes her to ovulate. It is incorrect that a cat can get pregnant at literally "any time" when she is not in heat; that isn't what "induced ovulator" means.

The reason people need to keep their whole females indoors and away from males is not that a female can get pregnant when she isn't in heat; it's that an owner can't always tell if a cat is in heat, especially if she has just started her heat, and therefore it frequently happens that a cat will get pregnant without the owner ever realizing that she was in heat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm getting conflicting info from scientific sources :/. Maybe they don't even know!

At any rate, a cat does not need to be in active calling heat to get pregnant. They cannot be kept locked up when calling and allowed to roam when not calling to prevent pregnancies like you can do with a dog. An unspayed cat needs to be entirely kept away from intact males if pregnancy is to be avoided.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm getting conflicting info from scientific sources :/. Maybe they don't even know!
I am not sure what you are looking at, but it is not really so complicated. Just as in people, ovulation in cats first requires the development of ovarian follicles. Follicle development is part of the estrus cycle and is initiated by follicule stimulating hormone (FSH). Once the ovarian follicles develop, they produce estradiol, which then causes the cat to become receptive to mating. During this period, the stimulus of mating leads to release of luteinizing hormone (LH), which triggers the fully developed ovarian follicles to release eggs (ovulate). That is why cats are known as "induced ovulators"; the stimulus of mating leads to the LH surge, while on the other hand in humans, the LH surge occurs on its own, causing spontaneous ovulation.

In order for mating to trigger ovulation, the cat must be in the correct phase of the cycle and must have ovarian follicles developed and ready to be triggered. If the cat is not in the correct phase of the cycle, she will generally not be receptive to males, and even if she is bred by a male, she cannot ovulate because she isn't in the proper hormonal state to generate a LH surge and she doesn't have mature follicles that can release eggs.
At any rate, a cat does not need to be in active calling heat to get pregnant. They cannot be kept locked up when calling and allowed to roam when not calling to prevent pregnancies like you can do with a dog. An unspayed cat needs to be entirely kept away from intact males if pregnancy is to be avoided.
Yes, all that is correct (except that I don't think allowing a whole female dog to roam is a good plan either!) A cat doesn't need to be in obvious heat to get pregnant.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

josemariadesousaneto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys very much for the advices. I really didn't know about silent heat due to the fact that her first one was very visible. Turns out I found who owned the two cats that live nearby and they are both ladies too! But I won't let her walk on the garden unsupervised anymore because I know how cats can be attracted from distant places plus that silent heat information.

Update: After a long discussion, when my parents had finally agreed to take Atena to the vet to check if she was pregnant, she went in heat again! (last Friday). I could never be so happy to hear all that noise again. I have been worried a lot these days.

One more question: do you guys have any ideas about how much time it usually takes for a short haired cat to grow its fur back? Her recovery is almost over and I was wondering if she could get sunburned without her fur considering that she likes to sleep by the window.

4horses

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An increase in nipple size does not occur until the cat is nearing childbirth or kitten birth in this case. I think everything looks normal here.

Until she is spayed, i would keep her fully inside to prevent unplanned pregnancy. Also cats are excellent climbers so i would not discount the possibility a male could climb the wall.

Female cats can get breast cancer later on if not spayed early.

Spaying a cat prior to 6 months of age leads to a 91% reduction in the risk of mammary cancer development. In other words, a cat spayed prior to their first heat (around 6 months of age) has only 9% of the risk of mammary tumor development compared to an unspayed cat. If spayed after 6 months, but before 1 year, the risk is 14% compared to an unspayed female.

Waiting to she is one yr old is fine, but i would not wait any longer than that!