Question About Proportions Using Whole Ground Rabbit

binx77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

Thank you guys for all the awesome info you provide. I've been a lurker for a long time, however I have finally decided to feed my kitty raw and have a few questions.

1. I currently have 10lbs whole ground rabbit (fur and all) from Hare Today and was hoping to follow the raw recipe from here: Recipes . My only concern is that on the ground rabbit web page, Hare Today says the whole rabbit comes out to the 80/10/10 ratio on it's own without any additions. The recipe on Cat Nutrition says " as of 2016, I have reduced the amount of bone content in the food even more than in the above recipe - I now feed 50 percent whole carcass with bone and 50 percent boneless meat." Wouldn't that put the bone and organ ratio waaaay below the recommended values? Is this a good recipe to follow or should I look elsewhere? I particularly liked this one because it includes extra chicken heart and liver, which is easily found (and cheap) in my area.

2. This recipe also uses glandular supplements, which I have not seen in any other recipe I have come across. Is this a necessity? What is it used for?

3. My cat was prescribed EFA1N, (EFA1N for Animal Use - Drugs.com - mix of fish oil, DHA, EPA) 1/2 a pump onto one serving of food daily. I am assuming this allows me to skip the fish oil step in the food mix, especially since fish oil has a tendency to break down when frozen anyways.

4. Similar with fish oil, I read that taurine also has issues with breaking down when frozen. If I use the above recipe, is the amount of chicken heart listed sufficient to actually leave taurine out completely? I am fine with sprinkling some onto his food throughout the week, I just have no idea how much since I don't have it in capsule form. Whenever I read that taurine can be sprinkled on it's stated as a capsule portion rather than on gram basis.

I have purchased lots of different meats and supplements in preparation so I am not picky on which recipe to follow, I am just limited on the fact that few people have posted recipes using whole ground rabbit. And, like I said above, those that have to seem to have low bone/organ ratios compared to what is recommended since the rabbit is apparently already very balanced. At the moment, I have 10lbs rabbit, 5 lbs chicken breast, 2 lb chicken liver, and 2 lb chicken hearts, chicken necks (just used as a snack to introduce him to raw meat/bone, not for the daily mix), Taurine powder, Vitamin B-50, Vitamin E Dry, and Lite salt.

If you guys have any recommendations on recipes, adjustments, additional things I need to purchase, and overall advice on starting raw feeding, I would appreciate it so much.

Thank you! :)

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
Here’s how I prepare whole carcass ground rabbit:
5lbs wc rabbit
20grams Alnutrin supplement for meat and bone
3000mg taurine powder
Fish oil
3 cups water

Any extra taurine, which is water soluble, just gets peed out, so no worries about kitties getting too much.

I also give freeze-dried turkey hearts and liver as treats, a little insurance for getting enough of those.

He’s been eating this, along with raw turkey, whole carcass ground cavies, rabbit chunks, and whole mice, for about 3 years and he’s doing great.

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Without having the data readily available nor the desire to research it out again and find it...I'll say that taurine is not sufficiently damaged by the freezing process to be that concerned about it so long as you're using dark muscle meats and hearts as your primary source of taurine. And as mentioned, you can add more as a supplement without any ill effects if you feel you need to.

Something to keep in mind...whole rabbits typically have the bare minimum amount of taurine that a cat needs.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a recipe on catinfo.org. Dr. Pierson recommends 2 pounds of ground rabbit plus 1 additional pound of boneless meat since rabbits are boney.