Question About Pellet Use For Cat Litter?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I currently use smart cat litter. Which is a clumping grass litter. But for some reason both my kittens have an ear irritation. They've being to the vet twice and nothing was found from the microscope. No ear mites, fleas, yeast, etc.

Was thinking maybe the litter was the cause? Cause I don't know what else could be causing it. So I'm thinking of using just pine pellets, exact one below.

Tractor Supply Pine Pellet Stall Bedding, 40 lb. at Tractor Supply Co.

Any thoughts? Has anyone used this kind of litter before. And if so, how often do you clean? How deep do you make it?

Thanks!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure what would cause the ear infection. I have used grass litter for a long time, without problem. Not to say it cant happen to some cats :dunno:

i know a lot of people use the pine pellets. When i have tried pellet litter it has never worked well for my 4, they refuse.

If the pellets work for your guys, great! if not i like the Littermaid walnut litter i get at Walmart quite a bit, if you want a change from grass. I like it almost as well as the grass. It tracks a bit less, but does not clump quite as well, good, just not quite as well. It is dust and fragrance free too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure what would cause the ear infection. I have used grass litter for a long time, without problem. Not to say it cant happen to some cats :dunno:

i know a lot of people use the pine pellets. When i have tried pellet litter it has never worked well for my 4, they refuse.

If the pellets work for your guys, great! if not i like the Littermaid walnut litter i get at Walmart quite a bit, if you want a change from grass. I like it almost as well as the grass. It tracks a bit less, but does not clump quite as well, good, just not quite as well. It is dust and fragrance free too.
Yeah just running out of ideas. But it must be something at home if both of them have it.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah just running out of ideas. But it must be something at home if both of them have it.
I dont know, has the vet tested for all those things, and an inner ear infection? have they been medicated?

Never hurts to try a different litter, your guys might love the pellets, and that would be an easy fix if its the problem. :yess: My guys just would not use pellets, i tried several different ones, and nope, not happening. :running:

Another possibility is a fine silica crystal litter. No organic in it, so might be more hypo allergenic if thats an issue. I like dr. Elseys respiratory relief crystal litter, very fine particles, not dusty or scented. and the cats all like it.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont know, has the vet tested for all those things, and an inner ear infection? have they been medicated?

Never hurts to try a different litter, your guys might love the pellets, and that would be an easy fix if its the problem. :yess: My guys just would not use pellets, i tried several different ones, and nope, not happening. :running:

Another possibility is a fine silica crystal litter. No organic in it, so might be more hypo allergenic if thats an issue. I like dr. Elseys respiratory relief crystal litter, very fine particles, not dusty or scented. and the cats all like it.
Yep, they've being carefully monitored. I think both would adjust to pellets fairly well. And honestly I kind of want to for a while since they both dig way too much and get on their fur a lot.

I use a DIY litter box. Could they possibly be allergic to that?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dj5KyXnBoAtWRN1u7

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use Smart Cat grass litter, too. Two of mine—litter mates—scratch a lot so they’re allergic to something, but the scratching pre-dates the use of grass litter. In fact, that’s why I switched from Dr. Elsey’s Ultra. I thought they might be allergic to the small amount of dust in it. It didn’t help. They still scratch.

I don’t use pellets for the girls, but the animal sanctuary where I volunteer uses pellets (wood burning stove pellets with no additives, so completely natural). I’ll tell you pros and cons based on my experience cleaning those boxes.

Pros
1. Inexpensive
2. They do a surprisingly good job of absorbing odor
3. No tracking to speak of...just the occasional few stray pellets outside the box, easily swept up with a broom and dustpan

Cons
1. Non-clumping: clean up is annoying. Urine causes the pellets to disintegrate and kind of spread out as the pellets absorb the liquid so you have to remove as much of the the wet as you can. If it dries before you scoop, you have to sift out the dry sawdust (in the case of the wood pellets) which is kind of hard to remove without also taking out good pellets. But since it’s cheaper than cat litter, you still end up ahead cost wise.
2. Many of the cats dislike walking on it. The pellets are uncomfortable for their feet. But they were all using the boxes with no problem so clearly they can adapt. Currently, however, the cat room has three pellet-filled boxes and two clumping clay-filled boxes because of the needs of one of the cats. The pellet boxes are barely being used. They’re all migrating to the clumping clay. (Interesting side note: I find the cat room smellier now that they’re using cheap clumping clay. I never used to notice much odor when it was pellets only.)
3. If your cat has an issue with diarrhea, it’s very hard to monitor it. And clean up is much more difficult. You really have to remove the whole area.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Smart Cat grass litter, too. Two of mine—litter mates—scratch a lot so they’re allergic to something, but the scratching pre-dates the use of grass litter. In fact, that’s why I switched from Dr. Elsey’s Ultra. I thought they might be allergic to the small amount of dust in it. It didn’t help. They still scratch.

I don’t use pellets for the girls, but the animal sanctuary where I volunteer uses pellets (wood burning stove pellets with no additives, so completely natural). I’ll tell you pros and cons based on my experience cleaning those boxes.

Pros
1. Inexpensive
2. They do a surprisingly good job of absorbing odor
3. No tracking to speak of...just the occasional few stray pellets outside the box, easily swept up with a broom and dustpan

Cons
1. Non-clumping: clean up is annoying. Urine causes the pellets to disintegrate and kind of spread out as the pellets absorb the liquid so you have to remove as much of the the wet as you can. If it dries before you scoop, you have to sift out the dry sawdust (in the case of the wood pellets) which is kind of hard to remove without also taking out good pellets. But since it’s cheaper than cat litter, you still end up ahead cost wise.
2. Many of the cats dislike walking on it. The pellets are uncomfortable for their feet. But they were all using the boxes with no problem so clearly they can adapt. Currently, however, the cat room has three pellet-filled boxes and two clumping clay-filled boxes because of the needs of one of the cats. The pellet boxes are barely being used. They’re all migrating to the clumping clay. (Interesting side note: I find the cat room smellier now that they’re using cheap clumping clay. I never used to notice much odor when it was pellets only.)
3. If your cat has an issue with diarrhea, it’s very hard to monitor it. And clean up is much more difficult. You really have to remove the whole area.
When you say scratch a lot, do you mean their ears? Do they ever shake their heads? Have any ear discharge?

Yeah I know the cons, but I don't know what else to do at this point. Plus I do hope at the very least with the more diffcult pellets they won't spend forever in the litter box.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
When you say scratch a lot, do you mean their ears? Do they ever shake their heads? Have any ear discharge?

Yeah I know the cons, but I don't know what else to do at this point. Plus I do hope at the very least with the more diffcult pellets they won't spend forever in the litter box.
I know what you mean. It's so hard to see them scratching and not be able to figure out why. Lily scratches the backs of her ears and her neck; Iris scratches her face. Both vets I've visited think it's food allergies but no luck so far with limiting certain proteins.

In addition to the walnut litter duckpond mentions, you might look into Okocat. They make four varieties of clumping wood litter, a non-clumping pine, and what they say is dust-free non-clumping paper. I've used the clumping wood--the super soft version--and like it. I haven't used the paper but it may be softer on kitty feet than other pellets.

Products | okocat | Healthy Pet

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean. It's so hard to see them scratching and not be able to figure out why. Lily scratches the backs of her ears and her neck; Iris scratches her face. Both vets I've visited think it's food allergies but no luck so far with limiting certain proteins.

In addition to the walnut litter duckpond mentions, you might look into Okocat. They make four varieties of clumping wood litter, a non-clumping pine, and what they say is dust-free non-clumping paper. I've used the clumping wood--the super soft version--and like it. I haven't used the paper but it may be softer on kitty feet than other pellets.

Products | okocat | Healthy Pet
Okay thanks. I would just find it odd that the two of them both got a food allergy around the same time. i guess it's possible, but seems a bit unlikely.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Okay thanks. I would just find it odd that the two of them both got a food allergy around the same time. i guess it's possible, but seems a bit unlikely.
They're sisters from the same litter, and they've always scratched. (My brother and I both have seasonal allergies, although we don't scratch. :)) It's just gotten so much worse as they've gotten older, particularly for Lily. The vet thinks it might be a chicken allergy. I tried omitting other proteins from their diet a couple of years ago with no success, but I've never tried removing chicken, mainly because it's the only thing Iris is willing to eat. So I'm trying Lily on the no-chicken diet first. If it works (but it hasn't so far), then I'll have to figure out how I'm going to get Iris to eat proteins other than chicken!

Changing their litter didn't make a difference for mine. I hope it's the solution for yours!

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Talked to my vet, and she recommended I actually go with a clay litter since grass and wood can easily be causing the problem as well.

Going with dr. elsey since I've heard the name a few times.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talked to my vet, and she recommended I actually go with a clay litter since grass and wood can easily be causing the problem as well.

Going with dr. elsey since I've heard the name a few times.
Let us know how it goes!

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried the pine pellets but my cat hated it. He refused to use the litter box with it. I use Dr Elsey's now which he likes and it's not as dusty as some litters.

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have switched to the Tractor Supply equine pine pellets and it is wonderful for us. The cats use it, the pellets dehydrate the solids very well--no odor--and the urine causes the pellets to turn to sawdust (but not so fine the cats can inhale it) and the sawdust falls into the slats at the bottom of the pan onto puppy pads underneath (Purina Breeze system). The pellets keep the odor from the urine from escaping and it's super easy to reset every other week or so when the under-pan gets full of sawdust.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Got the new litter box and new litter yesterday.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nHv9jmTiTHsTbDgE9

Going to get another litter box today. They both seemed quite obsess with it and sat there together for quite a while and even when one was actively using it. My only worry is that if they get their paws wet and touch the clay.