Question about parvo

maxkid88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fortunately, one of my cats got infected.
We took her to the hospital and she spent a very difficult week and half there, but luckily she survived and now shes home.
The problem is i know its a very contagious virus, and i have 4 other cats home, 3 of them are particially vaccinated (only 1 vaccine out of 2) and another one is un-vaccinated.
So far we put the sick cat in a cage back home so she wont imfect the others.
My question is how long will i have to keep her isolated? How long will she be contagious?

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Parvo is spread primarily through faeces, so if you can keep her in a room with a separate litter box this may be best. Anything that the faeces comes into contact with can also become an infection site. So for example, if she steps on her stool on her way out of the box, anywhere she walks could have the potential to infect another cat. Infected cats can excrete parvo for approximately 8 weeks after infection.

Bleach, I believe, is the only effective chemical at removing the disease from surfaces, so I would put her in a room with minimal furniture, no carpet and completely isolated from the rest of your cats. Give her her own dishes, litter box, bedding etc, absolutely no sharing. Get yourself some gloves and put a pair of shoes inside the room, for you to wear inside. Try to minimize your contact with her and your contact with your other cats if you can, and shower immediately after having contact with her.

Unfortunately it's a very contagious disease :(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Amazon carries disposable surgical booties, and they aren't terrible expensive. Put a trash can with a bag that can be closed securely right inside the door of her isolation room, You can drop both booties and gloves in there as you leave, then immediately wash hands thoroughly.

JacquieM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Amazon carries disposable surgical booties, and they aren't terrible expensive. Put a trash can with a bag that can be closed securely right inside the door of her isolation room, You can drop both booties and gloves in there as you leave, then immediately wash hands thoroughly.
I got some booties for my ringworm situation, but honestly I’m confused about how to use them. I put them on outside the room over my shoes, then I walked into the room, but I was like “Should I take them off in here before I leave? But then my shoes will be contaminated. 🤔 I guess I’ll take them off outside the room. But that spreads ringworm.” i’m confused, and also exhausted after 6 hours of cleaning and disinfecting my house today. 😳

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If possible, remove the bootie in such a way that you dispose of it before you step back onto the clean floor. This may take some logistics, like a small can to put them in which can be disposed of outside. Take a look around your specific floor plan and see what works. You may need to remove one, dispose of it, put that clean foot on the floor, and then do the other one.

JacquieM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If possible, remove the bootie in such a way that you dispose of it before you step back onto the clean floor. This may take some logistics, like a small can to put them in which can be disposed of outside. Take a look around your specific floor plan and see what works. You may need to remove one, dispose of it, put that clean foot on the floor, and then do the other one.
You’re a genius! The standing on 1 foot idea, I did not think of that. The issue of course is that the cat is trying to escape at the same time that I am exiting. It’s most important that that does not happen. I think I will takeoff one booty inside the sanctuary; dispose of it; Step that clean foot out side; slam the door; and takeoff the other booty. Oh boy, this will take some balance.
If necessary, I’ll just have to come out with both booties on, dispose of them, and just continually spray that whole area with rescue. What can you do. Thanks so much for responding

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is always more complicated with a cat who wants out. The directions on medical websites for the use of booties and other protective equipment do not include working with cats! TBH, if you have to step out of the room with both feet, just make sure you eyeball exactly where you stepped and then just clean that area.

JacquieM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is always more complicated with a cat who wants out. The directions on medical websites for the use of booties and other protective equipment do not include working with cats! TBH, if you have to step out of the room with both feet, just make sure you eyeball exactly where you stepped and then just clean that area.
I also keep forgetting and coming out of the room with my sanctuary clothes on. Still forming the habits!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PLEASE make sure your other cats are vaccinated as soon as they are able. And ask how long it takes to build up the antibodies. We had parvo go through our wild outdoor cats and it killed SO many! Only the cats that were vaccinated did not suffer the disease. The cats I have now lived through it, but they suffered so.....

JacquieM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PLEASE make sure your other cats are vaccinated as soon as they are able. And ask how long it takes to build up the antibodies. We had parvo go through our wild outdoor cats and it killed SO many! Only the cats that were vaccinated did not suffer the disease. The cats I have now lived through it, but they suffered so.....
I guess you are writing to me. I’m still getting used to this site. My cat does not have Parvo. He has ringworm. I’m so sorry for your experience; it sounds very painful. Thanks for reaching out.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:paperbag: Well, that's a relief! The original post was about parvo, so that is what i thought your cat had! Ringworm is nasty too. It just seems to take so long to get rid of it. . Remember if you, yourself get any lesions, treat with an antifungal and cover it with a bandaid to not spread it.

JacquieM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:paperbag: Well, that's a relief! The original post was about parvo, so that is what i thought your cat had! Ringworm is nasty too. It just seems to take so long to get rid of it. . Remember if you, yourself get any lesions, treat with an antifungal and cover it with a bandaid to not spread it.
Yep. Unfortunately this is a recurrence.