Question about nibbling/biting

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Walter, the "baby" use to nibble or bite my hands lightly. I would stetnly say no and he would then lick my hands. Eventually, he mostly stopped.

Now he is biting dh and the "NO" from both of us doesn't work at all.
He loves everyone in the family. [especially me..once out of tiny babyhood...for those who don't know, he was given to us at 3 weeks old] He is laying on my leg purring right now. He hangs with me most often. He must be 16+ weeks now.

Question is... is he teething or why would be biting dh? I am not sure when they teeth.
Really dumb ? Could he be jealous dh is sitting next to me? He doesn't do it to the kids (6 and 7).

Thanks guys!

fortunate4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens play and bite with their siblings and Walter is doing this with you.  You can't encourage it however (I know you are not but just saying).   Any time he does this remove him from the situation/room.  Be very calm and kind however.   Harsh treatment never works with cats and actually will create a host of new problems.   He may be trying to "claim" you.  Give him a lot of attention when you are all together but he needs to know where he fits into the family.

Play with him using a toy such as a feather thingy on a wand or something else where it is interactive.   Don't do lasers.  That just creates anxious kitties.   If you still do like the laser then end the play with pointing it to a toy so he can "conquer" the toy.  Just taking the laser away creates more anxiety as they look for it.   They like to have things that simulate catching a mouse or bird (prey).    I was told to play interactively with them 10 min a day.  A kitten might need more.   Jackson Galaxy (My Cat from Hell) has a lot of good information.

fortunate4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry meant to add that I have a cat who is a nibbler,,,,some just are.   I try not to stimulate her too much and I walk away when she starts doing it.  Sometimes it is a sign that the cat just can't take much stimulation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
fortunate4 fortunate4
He has 3 older sisters... two are less then 2 weeks older and the oldest kitten is 4 weeks or so older than Wally. They have been pretty good at mothering him.

My "kids" get tons of attention from me. Today I tried reading a book and 3 of the 4 laid on the book, wanting loves. Lol.

I was telling my husband and my kids today (and say it often) how lucky we are the kittens are so loving and affectionate.