Question about NASOPHARYNGEAL POLYPS?

bizzeemomof6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I'm new to this site...just registered.

I have a question about nasophargyngeal polyps. I'm almost positive that my Shadow, who is 1 year old, has this. He started sneezing about 3 days ago. Today he is now gagging, like he's trying to cough up a hairball, and has a bloody discharge coming from both nostrils. He doesn't appear to have difficulty breathing. He is also eating and drinking normally, for now anyway.

Does anyone here have any experience with this condition? I'm so worried that my poor baby is suffering a lot. He is just lying around not doing much today. He isn't hiding from us, though, so I'm taking that as a good sign that he's not in pain.

Should I take him to the emergency vet or is this something that can wait until Monday? Also...if your cat had this...is surgery absolutely necessary or is there other treatment you cat was able to have? I'm worried about the prospect of surgery. As you can tell from my username, we have six kids and not a lot of spare money available for surgery expenses...which makes me extremely sad.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help anyone can give me!

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't believe no one has had anything to say yet. I'm sorry you've had to wait so long for a reply.

Pretty much everyone here agrees that if there's blood or the cat is in pain, they go to the vet as soon as possible. My main concern is that it may be cutting off his breathing. Watch for him to stick his neck forward, and pant. That's a sure sign that Shadow can't breathe.

I found a really good link, which I posted below, that explains things technically, yet simply. It was easy to understand. Shadow will probably need surgery if this is indeed the diagnosis, but the procedure is simple and recovery is almost guaranteed. There are of course possible complications, but most of those clear up within a month.

Best of luck to you both, and to Shadow.

http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/Hea...ryngealPolyps/

joyv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel as if my 21 year old Frankie has this condition. I was told my a vet that my baby has a tumor, although since he was diagnosed 2 months ago when the vet that Frankie had never been to said I should put him down because he was bleeding from his one nostril, he tool an xray and it does show a shadow on his left nostril. I can not afford all of the tests to see if it is cancerous, His nostril is draining water constantly also through his left eye, it is somewhat sticky mucus, no discoloration. He can not breath through that nostril. He is eating well, drinks his water and his mental state is great, although for the occasional looks of not feeling well from time to time. A friend of mine that said her dog was having the same symptoms, tried Restorapet, she said the symptoms went away!

I am going to try it! I will check back to let  you know how it goes. Has anyone ever used this supplement? or has anyone's fur baby ever had a polyp in their nostril.

Please write back as soon as possible.

Thank you