Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Question About My Cat’s Nose

Discussion in 'Cat Health' started by Maplegrove, May 11, 2019.

1. Maplegrove

Maplegrove Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

May 11, 2019
    Hi,

I recently adopted my 1 year old male black tuxedo cat, Mochi. I noticed that his nose is oddly shaped with a bump that is symmetrical. He has no problems from this and breathes normally. No drainage from his nose. My suspicion is that this is either a normal variant of cat nose shapes or that he had a past injury. Before I adopted him, he was found abandoned with his siblings for about 3 months in a crack house and was very malnourished. Now he is a healthy weight. I have not taken him to a vet personally, but he has had a checkup and full vaccinations/neutering by the rescue right before I got him and I was told he is in good health.

Photos are attached. By comparison, my other cat Tiny has a perfectly straight nose.

Has anyone seen this before? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Furballsmom

Furballsmom Cat Fan especially Black Cats Staff Member Forum Helper

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    Hi! Welcome!!
    I've seen other photos of similar looking noses where there were no problems, your darling baby doesn't have any breathing issues?

calico man and tarasgirl06 purraised this.

3. FeebysOwner

FeebysOwner TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 13, 2018
    Central FL (Born in OH)
    Hi. It could be related to a previous injury - or, just his nose. Since there are no outward signs of any issues, just watch to make sure it doesn't grow in size. If it does, then a vet visit would be in order.

4. PushPurrCatPaws

PushPurrCatPaws TCS Member Top Cat

May 22, 2015
    Hello! It's usually a great idea to take a newly-adopted kitty to your chosen vet as soon as you are able for an overall health checkup and to kind of set up a baseline health record -- even if a rescue has also done any vet checkups and vaccinations, etc. If it were me, I'd just set up a vet appointment and definitely have the vet also look at Mochi's nose.
    :redheartpump: :hugs:

5. di and bob

di and bob TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    As long as it doesn't cause problems with breathing, it should be OK. It looks to me like an old injury. It doesn't look 'normal' because it is not a smooth transition, but a 'bump'. Bless you for taking him in, just love him for the way he is!

tarasgirl06, Antonio65 and Furballsmom purraised this.

6. jen

jen TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 27, 2001
    Hudson, OH
    Lets put it this way, if you ever notice it getting bigger or making him have a hard time breathing or he starts sneezing, get it looked at. It is probably nothing but if it changes that is when you need to worry.

tarasgirl06 and Furballsmom purraised this.

7. Caspers Human

Caspers Human TCS Member Alpha Cat

Feb 23, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Karl Malden, Jimmy Durante, W.C. Fields, Barbara Streisand & Mochi could all be members of the same club! :D

You're cat is in good company! ;)

Unless it bleeds, oozes fluid, causes trouble breathing or grows in size, there's nothing to worry about. :)

Furballsmom purraised this.

8. tarasgirl06

tarasgirl06 TCS Member Top Cat

Sep 19, 2006
    Glendale, California
    I'm in the "a vet visit would be good" club, myself, @Maplegrove -- and welcome to you, Mochi and Tiny, to TCS! Thank you for caring and for adopting Mochi!

PushPurrCatPaws and Furballsmom purraised this.

9. Blueberries33

Blueberries33 TCS Member Young Cat

Jan 5, 2018
    My two girls have little bumps on there noses, once there's no breathing issues I wouldn't worry about it.

Furballsmom purraised this.