Question About Miralax Dosage

kuri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty was very constipated and I was giving her Miralax to try to help, but it never ended up working. I didnt know at the time that mixing it with wet food wasn't enough and that I needed to add water to it first to let it dissolve. So I was wondering if anyone can tell me how much water should I add to 1/4 tsp of Miralax? Thanks in advance!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do 1/8 of a tsp twice a day for my boy. I just add in a couple tablespoons of extra water to his wet or raw food. I feel like maybe miralax isn’t working for your cat. Heave you tried pumpkin?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A spoonful or two is plenty. If you want a measurement, try 1 or 2 tablespoons. More water won't hurt :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try 1/4 teaspoon twice a day then, Make sure you explain things to your vet. I just mixed it in with an egg yolk and whipped it up. You want to have them consume it all in a small amount of whatever you put it in and then get them to drink something. My cats will drink lactose free milk, you might try a warmed portion of that, about two tablespoons and see if she would drink that with the Miralax mixed in, there are also canned portions of 'Senior Supplement' on Amazon that my boy drank well.

Teri122

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Miralax doesn't really have to be mixed with water. It pulls water from the body into the intestines to make the stool less dry and easier to pass. We either just mix it in the canned food (usually), or sometimes I put 1/4 tsp of water and a little bit of the food mixed in it and scoop it over top like gravy (Miralax gravy, yum!), but that is really just to change it up a bit. If it isn't working maybe you need to increase the dose. Jewel was on 1/2 tsp twice a day because she had kidney disease.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Miralax doesn't really have to be mixed with water. It pulls water from the body into the intestines to make the stool less dry and easier to pass.
Because it pulls water from the body into the intestines, dehydration can occur. That's why the instructions for Humans is to dissolve a dose in a full glass of water before ingesting, not sprinkle the powder directly onto food. Water movement between internal tissues is no different in animals.

Teri122

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
True, and as the body pull water out it triggers thirst. The body knows what it needs, so you drink. Like with diabetes the body tries to get rid of the high sugar level in the blood by peeing it out. Which makes the body feel dehydrated so it makes you drink more, that's why one of the first signs of diabetes is drinking a lot. In other words, the cat will drink to get the fluid needed. And wet food has a high fluid content.