Question about mealtimes - trauma?

Juliarghh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!!

I've posted previously about introducing our new 7mth old ragdoll to our existing boy. I appreciate the support so so much and they are now thick as thieves:hearthrob: My question is now about our new kitty and his almost trauma-like obsession with food.

BACKGROUND: Blu came from a man that was a fly in-fly out mine worker, so we adopted him because his existing owner acknowledged that he just didn't have the lifestyle for a kitten. Blu has developed a healthy connection to us, I'd say, he snuggles and loves a pat but he will also chill alone or with our other raggie, Sebastian.

Blu however is food OBSESSED! I'm talking like trying to steal our food, jumping on the counters to lick the frying pans before we have washed up etc. We feed the boys separately now as what was happening was that Blu would inhale his food in about 0.2 seconds and then he would bully Seb out of his bowl and eat his food too. It got to the point that I had to take Blu to the vet because his abdoment was so swollen and tender that I thought he had worms... nope, he was just eating for two

We feed the cats on a schedule - an AM dry food at 7am-ish and a PM wet at 6pm-ish. Blu will scream and scream for both meals from about 1.5hrs before the mealtime... both cats finish their food every time, so they never end up with food to graze on. Currently the routine is that I pop Seb's food down whilst distracting Blu with his bowl then pick Blu up whilst he's lashing and screaming for food and feed him in the bathroom with the door shut. He stays in there until Seb is all done. Blu's obsession with food seems almost trauma-based... he was very skinny when we got him so he has put on some healthy weight with us which is great but I wonder whether he was always hungry previously so is now obsessed with his mealtimes here?

Has anyone experienced similar behaviours from a cat? Any suggestions on how to calm him down and reassure him that he won't ever go hungry?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
an AM dry food at 7am-ish and a PM wet at 6pm-ish.
Hi
In my opinion this is not nearly frequently enough for Blu. He's a big breed cat, so he's still growing and will be beyond the typical feline's maturity at about a year old, and absolutely needs more frequent meals so that his caloric intake is spread out through the day, plus kibble for overnight, --> but definitely more wet food, and probably a slow feeder until such time in the future that he's matured enough physically to not require so many calories and to be more comfortable knowing that his environment is and will be stable.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Blu may not be getting enough calories to satiate his tummy, hence the hangry behavior. How much dry and canned food are you giving each cat for their meals? 7 month old kittens are still growing, not as much as a 7 week old but still growing, and they're still bottomless hungry pits. It's recommended to free feed kittens until they are about a year old. A few small meals spread throughout the day works best for most kittens. Some people do two or three canned food meals and leave a measured amount of dry food out for snacking on.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its pretty easy for a cat to become food obsessed, and some times more or less just happened, but coming from an owner with, I assume a fairly irregular schedule, its not a big surprise Blu is a food obsessed cat.

I was going to say something about the # of meals before Furballsmom Furballsmom beat me too it. There are adult cats cats that do ok on two meals a day, but that is a long time between feedings. Most working folks do as soon as they get up, as soon as they get home, and right before bed. Might help a bit. Also note that if this is the 7 month old, young cats need more feedings because they eat more per pound than older cats (growing and all) and there stomachs aren't proportionally big enough. Its often said to allow kittens unlimted grazing until I'm not sure what month -- its difficult for them to eat enough to get fat they are growing so fast. But maybe by 7 months, 3 meals is enough.

You could also try setting a timer on your phone if you get up, get home, at the same times. If the cat links feeding to a timer, maybe its not as strongly linked to you, and the sense that the cat can affect it is less.

Some people have success with timed feeders, but since your doing 1/2 wet food, maybe don't mess with that unless all other options are gone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juliarghh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the insights!! They're both 7 months old, just to clarify that. Seb is completely relaxed around food... that's the reason for my question, because it's a stark difference in attitudes between the two.

I'm giving them each enough dry food in the AM to meet the recommendation for their age/weight, Seb is significantly bigger than Bluey so gets more. Blu is also a small cat - he's about half the size of Seb even though he's a week older. His frame is really small too, like his bones themselves are tiny.

My issue with free feeding or leaving kibble out overnight is that Seb wouldn't get any at all even though he'll never say no to food, Bluey would just inhale it as soon as he sees it. I don't then want to cause issues between the two of them over food availability?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can ignore the feeding recommendation on the bag / can :) Cats have their own individual nutrition needs, just like people, so what works for one cat may not work for another cat.

There are microchip feeders that you can use so Seb can get food but not Blu.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm giving them each enough dry food in the AM to meet the recommendation for their age/weight,
As mentioned, it isn't working for Blu's nutritional needs. Even though his size appears to be small, he seems to have a furnace going regarding how his system is handling the calories he's getting.

They're both 7 months old, just to clarify that.
Then both cats need more frequent meals during the day.

I'm strongly suggesting to stop the kibble in the morning, feed them more canned food which Blu really needs because the dry food basically only has carbs and totally lacks moisture, and as mentioned above, you can set up chip activated feeders.

My issue with free feeding or leaving kibble out overnight is that Seb wouldn't get any at all
You aren't feeding them overnight now, is that correct? The whole thought process here is to help Blu (which is what I thought your question was). Seb seems to be doing just fine, although as we're suggesting, his digestive system and overall health and growth will benefit greatly from more frequent meals of wet food :)

Last edited:

Juliarghh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not feeding them overnight, no. They dont leave a crumb behind of their AM or PM feeds. I could keep the pouch of wet food in when I get home from work (so essentially their dinner) but add one more pouch in right before bed perhaps?

I do like the kibble for budgeting purposes - I'm in australia and a 12pack of wet food pouches of Hills or RC costs $24. With two mouths to feed, the costs add up!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
If this isn't enough for Blu, you'll need to determine how to add more because he needs more food. Period.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Seb is significantly bigger than Bluey
Since Bluey was unweight when he came to you he may still have some catching up to do. You could switch the 2 meals to wet and hide dry food puzzles around the house. Cut holes in a toilet paper tube and fold down the ends, small cardboard jewelry boxes he can toss around to open. There are also all kinds of puzzle feeders on amazon.

Juliarghh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies!! I did consider dry food puzzles, I think they would both love that… they’re so smart.
I’ll add another meal in and see what I can do to swap or at least hydrate the kibble meal to make it moister for their digestion☺

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its pretty tough for 7 month old cats to get fat. In addition to switching to 3 meals, you could probably put out a lot more food without any problems.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not feeding them overnight, no. They dont leave a crumb behind of their AM or PM feeds. I could keep the pouch of wet food in when I get home from work (so essentially their dinner) but add one more pouch in right before bed perhaps?

I do like the kibble for budgeting purposes - I'm in australia and a 12pack of wet food pouches of Hills or RC costs $24. With two mouths to feed, the costs add up!
It really is important to have wet food as well. In terms of affordability, I buy my cat food online and always look for the cheapest and for deals. The best value/quality of the supermarket foods is classic fancy feast. They often have them on special (buy over a certain about and get a discount etc). Be careful with Applaws. The wet should never be the only food as it is 'complementary', which means it doesn't have all the nutrients to make it a complete food.
My rule is to stock up when things are on special :)

Juliarghh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It really is important to have wet food as well. In terms of affordability, I buy my cat food online and always look for the cheapest and for deals. The best value/quality of the supermarket foods is classic fancy feast. They often have them on special (buy over a certain about and get a discount etc). Be careful with Applaws. The wet should never be the only food as it is 'complementary', which means it doesn't have all the nutrients to make it a complete food.
My rule is to stock up when things are on special :)
I know the go around feeding wet and making sure it’s a complete diet food with the literal tick of approval. I’m only feeding Royal Canin or Hills at the moment with freeze dried kanga snacks and the creamy treats as treats☺Like I said earlier, they’re eating a combo of wet and dry food and drink water voluntarily too through the day… just had concerns around Blu’s responses to feeding times.

I appreciate the input around increasing food availability and/or feeding times. Will implement that asap! Thanks everyone