Question About Introducing New Cat When Resident Cat Is Sneezing (feline Herpes)

cheeseburger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all - we have a call into the vet about this but I thought I'd seek your opinions here too.

We have a 2 year old resident cat that had really bad feline herpes when we got him from the shelter. He made a full recovery and has been completely healthy for the last year, not even a sniffle.

We just got back from a one week vacation and even though we had a petsitter 2x/day for him, he must have gotten a little stressed while we were gone, as he left a poop surprise for us in our bed and started sniffling a bit. A few days later, he's sneezing 4-5 times a day. He doesn't seem too bad, just a little sniffly, still playful, eating and drinking but a little lower energy. I'm supplementing lysine in his wet food.

All that said, we have been trying to adopt a friend for resident cat, and we made arrangements to take in a foster cat *tonight*. This cat was a stray so potentially has been exposed to feline herpes. Not sure what the vaccination situation is but I am going to ask.

I am worried about bringing in foster cat while resident cat is showing symptoms. The foster cat will be isolated in its own room the first few days, but I'm concerned the stress of new cat might make resident cat worse, and that I could make new cat sick.

What's everybody's thoughts on this situation? I'm not really sure what to do -- whether I should call off the foster until we can get new cat herpes vaccinated or what...

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would wait till you're 100% sure the new cat is vaccinated (and also I would wait at least 2 weeks after the vaccination for the antibodies to fully work), and I would also wait till your cat feels better, as the introduction itself can be stressful as you already mentioned.. Good luck, I hope it won't take long!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeseburger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cool, thanks guys. This is what I was thinking the plan should be, but I just wanted to be sure. I appreciate the confirmation!