Question About Flea Treatment For A Kitten

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a kitten today. I'm only going to have it for a day or two till I pass it on to someone to care for, but I wanted to treat it for flea's. I was planning on bathing it, but I picked up a flea comb at the pet store and the lady there told me I could sprinkle it with baking soda and comb out the flea's instead. I don't know how old the kitten is, maybe two months? Have you heard of the baking soda method and is it safe for kittens?
yellow-kitten.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I generally recommend flea combing and putting the fleas in a bowl filled with water and Dawn dish soap. Just dip the comb in. The fleas will drown. I would not use baking soda.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I was hoping there might be an easier way. But I was afraid that the kitten might breath in the dust from the baking soda, so I wasn't sure if it was a good method. I have found dipping a q-tip in Vaseline helps pick off the flea's. Sometimes those buggers are hard to get out of the fur.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I wouldn't use baking soda on a cat. Can't imagine what that would taste like when the cat went to bathe itself! :barf:

The kitten is old enough to use a spot-on isn't it? If not, I would go with the bathing and/or flea combing method.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have another quick question for you experts, so instead of starting a new thread, I will just ask here. I caught a little black girl kitten last night. She will be going to the vets office tomorrow. She is sniffling and congested with goopy eyes. She is about two months old (guessing) and she is eating well. She's kind of a mess and full of flea's. Should I give her a bath today? I just don't want to make her any sicker, but I thought she would feel better to be clean and have the flea's off of her.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is infested and crawling with fleas, I would give her a Capstar (generic brand also available). That would kill every flea on her within hours.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can give her a warm bath with blue Dawn dish soap. Create a soapy ring around her neck first, or the fleas will all crawl up to her head. Dry her well with a warm towel from the dryer.

Keep her eyes cleaned. Sitting in a steamy bathroom with her for a few minutes will help her to breathe better.

Vet will likely put her on an antibiotic tomorrow.

Thank you for rescuing her! :)

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a good idea, Orange&white. I don't have a car, so I don't have the time to get it (it eats up your time, traveling by bus or walking).

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can give her a warm bath with blue Dawn dish soap. Create a soapy ring around her neck first, or the fleas will all crawl up to her head. Dry her well with a warm towel from the dryer.

Keep her eyes cleaned. Sitting in a steamy bathroom with her for a few minutes will help her to breathe better.

Vet will likely put her on an antibiotic tomorrow.

Thank you for rescuing her! :)
OK Thanks. :)