Question about fixing behavior.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
So, I don't know if any of you remember my original post regarding my cat, Mia, who suddenly became the target of some bullying from my other cats.
I believe Milo may have been trying to initiate play with her, but she's never been a playful cat with the exception of sometimes playing with her roller ball toy or with me and the feather toy. Anyway, she reacted poorly which just sparked the other cats poking at her. Somehow she and Gracie ended up with an extremely hostile relationship, which I don't understand at ALL because they used to love each other. I have photos of them cuddling. They never had a cat fight at all prior. Just suddenly started hating each other during all this. It's at the point where Gracie will chase Mia away from thing and when Gracie IS behaving, Mia will hiss/run away and act like she was attacked.

Originally, Mia would hide. Now she's coming out more and more, which I feel is progress. The other cats don't really bother her anymore either UNLESS Mia starts hissing/running, then it attracts their attention and they chase her.

One of our biggest problems, however, is during all this - Mia's gotten an aversion to going to the cat room. She likes to stay where I am, which is usually at my desk in the kitchen OR in the living room (Currently sleeping on the couch because the back of it helps my back.) Since covid, we stay home/work from home. We turned our spare bedroom into a cat room with all their cat trees, some toys and litter boxes in there. Originally she used the room just fine, but now she will NOT walk down the hall to use the box, she's too nervous. So... she pees and poops in the kitchen, two different spots. I try to pick her up and take her in the back and when I do, she DOES use the boxes if I put her in.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to help get her going back in the back room to use her litter boxes again?

I have tried diffusers, calming sprays and treats, jackson galaxy's bully solution drops, enzyme cleaners... none of it really works to get her to go to the boxes.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Remind me, because I think I remember some of this, but you don't want to put a litterbox in the kitchen, even under a chair? Didn't she have a favorite chair in the kitchen?

Anyway, some people have used what is a very slow process, and I have no idea if it will work for you, but take a litterbox she's using regularly, and by small increments move it, just a few inches, in the direction of where you want her to end up. This may take days, maybe even weeks, and you need to be sure she's using the box in the "new" location before you move it another few inches.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Hi
Remind me, because I think I remember some of this, but you don't want to put a litterbox in the kitchen, even under a chair? Didn't she have a favorite chair in the kitchen?

Anyway, some people have used what is a very slow process, and I have no idea if it will work for you, but take a litterbox she's using regularly, and by small increments move it, just a few inches, in the direction of where you want her to end up. This may take days, maybe even weeks, and you need to be sure she's using the box in the "new" location before you move it another few inches.
Correct! Yeah. We don't want to put one in the kitchen because we're afraid the other cats will just start using it. That and the smell. My mother kind of already veto'ed the idea.

She currently won't use any litter box. She pees on the floor by the kitchen pantry door and poops in front of the sink. I'm able to clean it well but she goes anyway. >.<

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Correct! Yeah. We don't want to put one in the kitchen because we're afraid the other cats will just start using it. That and the smell. My mother kind of already veto'ed the idea.

She currently won't use any litter box. She pees on the floor by the kitchen pantry door and poops in front of the sink. I'm able to clean it well but she goes anyway. >.<
I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It's stressful for everyone. :hugs:
I don't blame you for not wanting a litter box in the kitchen, but, since she has already decided the kitchen is her bathroom having a temporary box there might be the best idea for now.
As much as I wouldn't want to keep the other cats confined for long, I would be tempted to lock the other cats in the cat room and put a box in the spots where she goes on the floor, very temporarily. My big concern would be deciding if it's just going to the cat room to use the litter box, or if she has litter box aversion as well. If she uses the boxes in the spots she has chosen, you'll know it's 100% a "cat room issue" and not a "litter box issue." With the other cats locked in another room, you'll be able to be 100% sure it's her using the box and not another cat.
Do you think your Mom would go for this, even just for a day or two so you can find out exactly what you're dealing with?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A temporary box in the kitchen is, to my mind, far better than using the kitchen floor. Generally, the box would slowly be moved back to a more acceptable area, a foot or so each day. Is there another area where her box could be located? IF you can afford it, there are box covers that are literally pieces of furniture (my dream is to have two as end tables, one for the box, and one with a cushion for a bed) that do an excellent job of odor/mess control.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The problem, I believe is that an upsetting event has created chaos in the cats. Sadly, sometimes it only takes one bad experience and you have to go back to start. As if introducing a new cat.

Sometimes cats will treat a cat that isn’t feeling well badly. I would start with a vet check for Mia. If everything is okay health wise, then I would keep the cats separate for 2 weeks and at that point start scent swapping. There needs to be no negative interaction and if there is, you go back to the start and start over.

Sometimes behavioral drugs are needed, but that should be a last resort.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
As much as I wouldn't want to keep the other cats confined for long, I would be tempted to lock the other cats in the cat room and put a box in the spots where she goes on the floor, very temporarily. My big concern would be deciding if it's just going to the cat room to use the litter box, or if she has litter box aversion as well. If she uses the boxes in the spots she has chosen, you'll know it's 100% a "cat room issue" and not a "litter box issue." With the other cats locked in another room, you'll be able to be 100% sure it's her using the box and not another cat.
Do you think your Mom would go for this, even just for a day or two so you can find out exactly what you're dealing with?
I'm going to present the idea of moving the box in the kitchen and see if she'll go for it, however I'm pretty sure it's the act of walking from one end of the house to the other that Mia avoids. If I pick her up and carry her into the cat room, she'll go in whatever box I put her in. Sometimes she'll jump out and pick another box (we have about 7 in there.)

A temporary box in the kitchen is, to my mind, far better than using the kitchen floor. Generally, the box would slowly be moved back to a more acceptable area, a foot or so each day. Is there another area where her box could be located? IF you can afford it, there are box covers that are literally pieces of furniture (my dream is to have two as end tables, one for the box, and one with a cushion for a bed) that do an excellent job of odor/mess control.
I agree with you. It's just a matter of convincing my mother. She's convinced it'll stink the kitchen up because the cats will alltry to use it

Sometimes behavioral drugs are needed, but that should be a last resort.
I plan on talking to the vet and seeing what medications might be okay for her, but Mia didn't react at all to the calming treats or the bully solution. Or the calming spray/diffuser.

Actually tbh with you, the diffuser seemed to make Charlie (my orange cat) irritable.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There is a huge difference between calming therapies and prescription drugs. You can’t compare them. But she needs a check up to make sure she is healthy and I would keep medications as a last resort if trying to re introduce them fails.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
How are things?
I'm so sorry for the lack of responses.

It's been crazy.

What I thought was behavior, turned out to be a UTI. I feel so incredibly terrible. I spent a lil under a year trying to handle it on a behavioral front, but a couple of days ago I noticed her straining to pee. Kept watching, found she had blood in her urine. Took her to the vet ASAP and he confirmed UTI. She was given antibiotics and has to go back in 2 weeks for another shot - he also gave her xanax for her anxiety.

I feel so bad that I didn't consider this could be medical. She had no fever, was eating, drinking, cuddling with me, playing with her lil toys. There was no indication that she had an infection at ALL...I just feel awful. I knew with Jasper when he had his UTI right away, but Mia's just flat out slipped by me.

My vet is amazing, so are the girls who work there. They were so kind and patient with Mia and willing to answer all my questions.

She's going to be okay though and the vet suspects that the infection is what caused the tension with the other cats.

I know it can't possibly be working to correct things this fast but when we got home, Charlie was actually SWEET with Mia and Mia didn't hiss/freak out to get away (she hadn't even had her xanax yet)

So far no hissing or growling or scampering to get away, knock on wood.