Question about fish oil and cat with fish allergy...

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is a food that contains fish oil safe for a cat with a fish allergy? I've been told that the oil doesn't contain any of the proteins that cause an allergic reaction, but I'm not sure and not willing to take a chance unless I know for certain this is true.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on how allergic your cat is, and the grade of the fish oil. B Beholder has a cat who reacts to fish oil, but he‘s also highly sensitive. They may be able to provide more advice, however.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All fish oil has a very, very small amount of protein. It is nearly impossible to completely remove it all. This is not a problem for most cats with fish allergies because the amount is so small and they don't need to consume very much of it on a daily basis.

The only way you can really know with your cat is by trying it out. If you're worried, Iceland Pure Unscented Salmon is a good place to start. This fish oil is pharma grade, meaning it has even less protein than other, cheaper fish oils. My Morty is the only cat I've ever seen (on this site) to have a reaction to this oil. It's very, very rare.

Cats need omegas in their diets and it can be difficult (and expensive) for them to get this through other sources. Unless their reaction is something so severe it may be deadly, I would suggest testing out fish oil first.

Here is a link to the one I'm describing. It goes a long way though so in the past I've frozen it in small containers. They sell it on Amazon as well.

ICELAND PURE PET PRODUCTS Unscented Pharmaceutical Grade Salmon Oil Liquid Dog & Cat Supplement, 33-oz bottle - Chewy.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eljuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All fish oil has a very, very small amount of protein. It is nearly impossible to completely remove it all. This is not a problem for most cats with fish allergies because the amount is so small and they don't need to consume very much of it on a daily basis.

The only way you can really know with your cat is by trying it out. If you're worried, Iceland Pure Unscented Salmon is a good place to start. This fish oil is pharma grade, meaning it has even less protein than other, cheaper fish oils. My Morty is the only cat I've ever seen (on this site) to have a reaction to this oil. It's very, very rare.

Cats need omegas in their diets and it can be difficult (and expensive) for them to get this through other sources. Unless their reaction is something so severe it may be deadly, I would suggest testing out fish oil first.

Here is a link to the one I'm describing. It goes a long way though so in the past I've frozen it in small containers. They sell it on Amazon as well.

ICELAND PURE PET PRODUCTS Unscented Pharmaceutical Grade Salmon Oil Liquid Dog & Cat Supplement, 33-oz bottle - Chewy.com
Thank you for the recommendation! (Sorry I keep QTing the entire post, not sure how to make names into links.) I'll definitely be giving this one a try.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the recommendation! (Sorry I keep QTing the entire post, not sure how to make names into links.) I'll definitely be giving this one a try.
No problem. And it's fine to quote a whole post, that's usually what I do. But if you prefer to name someone specifically just use @ and then their name. :)