Question about feral cats abandoning their kittens..

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have my mother grab some tonight on her way home from work. I know we have powdered formula somewhere but they HATE it. I also don't think it's PetAg.
If you have powdered formula that has been opened and not refrigerated, it should be tossed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All righty. I'll make sure to toss the other formula, refrigerate the powdered PetAg, and make it fresh every time. I'm not even sure if the powdered formula we have says to refrigerate after opening. And if it does, it's impossible to locate. Otherwise I would have seen it. Now I feel horrible. At least they rejected it.

EDIT I found the storage instructions after searching through a wall of text. And even then it was hard for me to understand, the way it was worded. You would think something so vital would be printed, front and center: "Refridgerate after opening."

Last edited:

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, at least they hated it and refused to take it. It was worded also so that it seemed as if refrigeration was optional. I was so confused. I'm glad you guys pointed it out. Now I know. :) Thanks!

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Herc has officially worked his way up to 20 mL and he's STILL wanting more. I keep feeling his belly to make sure he's got room and he does. It's not hard or distended. I give him time between each 5 mL to make sure he's still hungry and he is. These kittens will continue to mystify me.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty proud of them. He and his sister are eating tons. He's still insanely gassy though. I feel it when I try to make him poop. I also can't do the triangle method anymore because when I try, his little arms flail so much that he's gotten his claws stuck in his eyelid three times today. I cant wait to get them to the vet

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty proud of them. He and his sister are eating tons. He's still insanely gassy though. I feel it when I try to make him poop. I also can't do the triangle method anymore because when I try, his little arms flail so much that he's gotten his claws stuck in his eyelid three times today. I cant wait to get them to the vet
Has he had a normal poop yet?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried Mylicon?

You can trim the very tips of their claws.

Last edited:

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He had a normal poop the night before last. Since then it's been spotty. He's been trying to work it out but to no avail. I'm expecting it to happen soon though.

I will go to the store tomorrow after the vet and pick up some Mylicon. That's the only chance we're going to be able to get that and the formula sadly. I would try trimming their nails but I'm terrified of cutting too much. I'll have to ask the vet to show me how to do it.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never seen kittens this happy. Physical problems aside, they just love to cuddle and purr. And they LOVE being burped. Lucille fell asleep in my lap while I was burping her. Then she stretched her little arms up toward my face and when I picked her up she just kept making kitty biscuits on my chest.

I seriously can't thank you guys enough. Without you they could have died. I know there's no real alternative to vet care but when I've got questions and can't take them to the vet immediately at least I know some people with experience are always willing to help without judgment. You're all angels.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He had a normal poop the night before last. Since then it's been spotty. He's been trying to work it out but to no avail. I'm expecting it to happen soon though.

I will go to the store tomorrow after the vet and pick up some Mylicon. That's the only chance we're going to be able to get that and the formula sadly. I would try trimming their nails but I'm terrified of cutting too much. I'll have to ask the vet to show me how to do it.
Here is an article that you may find helpful.  There are also videos on YouTube.com demonstrating how to clip claws.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-best-take-care-of-cat-claws

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awesome! Thank you so much! Their little claws are flailing weapons of "NO"

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They dig the powdered PetAg. Thanks again!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so glad you now have powdered PetAg, and that they like it. Has their gas gone away yet? You should see them begin to gain weight faster now. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't smelled anything from them. But I'm about to take the both of them to the vet so that she can check them out.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet put Hercules at 9 ounces and Lucille at 8. They told me some OTC dewormer I can get for them and said they'll try and start Lucy in antibiotics since she's got a bit of fluid in her lungs. So far she's not showing signs of infection so they're getting ahead of it and making sure that she doesn't get sick.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Which wormer did they suggest, and what antibiotic did they put her on?

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dewormer they suggested was Pyrantel, to be given at 2 weeks, 4 weeks, and 6 weeks. Antibiotic for Lucy is Clavamox, 0.1 mL twice a day for 14 days. Can't find the wormer anywhere. I have to wait until Friday before a store gets it in.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Why did they not do the initial worming, and send you home with the next 2 doses?