Question About Feline Leukemia Vaccine

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am contemplating rescuing a 3rd kitten. My other two have been tested and vaccinated. Would they be immune now if by chance this one was infected?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure that even a vaccinated cat is entirely immune, but yes the odds are decreased for transmission IF your other cats have had all the required initial vaccinations - and if old enough, the yearly shots thereafter.

How old is the kitten you are thinking of getting? Generally speaking they can be tested by 8 weeks of age and if the results are negative they can receive their first vaccination at that time. I would think this would be the best route to go before you adopt. And, until the new kitten has received all the required number of vaccinations, I would quarantine it - which really should be done anyway when you bring new cat into a home with other cats.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They would most likely be immune but it's not a guarantee. The best thing to do is get a snap test for the new kitten. You should be taking the new kitten to the vet right away anyways so might as well get it done then.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that once they have the vaccine they will always test positive for the Felv, which is something of a problem. I hope I'm wrong.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that once they have the vaccine they will always test positive for the Felv, which is something of a problem. I hope I'm wrong.
This is NOT the case! Plain and simply, just not factual.

On a positive note, your hope/wish has come true!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats who receive the FIV vaccine will always test positive, plus it's not very effective. That's why it's rarely used. The FeLV vaccine is pretty common, and about 85% effective.

How old are the other kitties? Adult cats have a fairly high natural immunity to FeLV. So that along with the vaccine means they should be immune. But definitely have the kitten tested before introductions, just to be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old are the other kitties? Adult cats have a fairly high natural immunity to FeLV. So that along with the vaccine means they should be immune. But definitely have the kitten tested before introductions, just to be safe.
They are 9 and 7 months. I would probably keep the new one in our room for a few days with very slow introductions to the other two. He is still with his mom for another week or two as well, so once I find out when I get him I can get a vet visit right away. The test is pretty quick with results.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely wait until a vet check is done and vaccinations are underway for the new one. Even being quarantined the introductions have begun, they can smell each other and get used to each other even though they don't see each other.

You didn't say if your cats go outside. To be honest I have never had my indoor cats vaccinated against FeLV. FeLV is transmitted by fluids from an infected cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No they are all indoor cats. I have entertained the idea of taking them out on harnesses or placing in an enclosure but they would never be left to roam alone.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
white shadow white shadow and W Willowy thank you, I wasn't getting very far searching -- conflicting, and I knew someone here would know.

I went into debt to get all my cats their felv vaccination when it came out years ago. This that I posted was something that I'd only heard recently and seems to be the FIV not the Felv vaccine. And, yes, Sweet Gum got her felv vaccination as soon as she was
old enough.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely wait until a vet check is done and vaccinations are underway for the new one. Even being quarantined the introductions have begun, they can smell each other and get used to each other even though they don't see each other.

You didn't say if your cats go outside. To be honest I have never had my indoor cats vaccinated against FeLV. FeLV is transmitted by fluids from an infected cat.
Do u think some of the vaccines arent necessary for indoor cats???I have heard that n seen that on this site..
Cause im just wondering...To know what to do next vaccine time for my boy:thanks:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do u think some of the vaccines arent necessary for indoor cats???I have heard that n seen that on this site..
Cause im just wondering...To know what to do next vaccine time for my boy:thanks:

FELV and FIV are really unnecessary imo. I'm not a fan of over vaccination with rabies and FVCRP so I get the 3 year vaccination for those. Although I did get my boys vaccinated for FELV with their first boosters while I quarantined a cat that tested faintly positive for FELV. Honestly if I didn't have to board the cats for my yearly vacations I wouldn't have gone beyond the initial sets plus first boosters for rabies and FVCRP.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Vaccines are separated into core and non-core vaccines Cat Vaccinations, Core and Non-core | Daily Vet | petMD Core vaccines are recommended for all cats those include Calicivirus, rhinotracheitis, and panleukopenia which often goes by the misnomer feline distemper. They also include rabies because most states have a legal requirement. The non-core vaccines are for certain cats because of lifestyle which includes FeLV for cats who are not just indoor cats and Bordetella because they spend time being boarded.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Current AAHA recommendations say that all kittens should get their first FeLV vaccine and a booster, because they might end up going outside. After that they say it should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and indoor adult cats should not get the vaccine unless they live with a FeLV-positive cat.

That said, I don't get the FeLV vaccine for my cats.