Question about eye injury and recovery

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been in tears since yesterday. My kitten who I've had for 2 months injured my other cats eye. I had a major panic attack and rushed Emily to the vet yesterday. Her eye was half closed and had gunk in it. The vet checked for scratches on the eye and foreign objects but said it looked like a small cut on the inside bottom lower lid. She gave me Neomycin Polymixin B ointment and said the discharge would stop in a day or two. It's a struggle getting the ointment in the eye because I'm old and alone but think I'm getting most in. Emily's eyes still half closed but I don't see any discharge. My question is when should I see some improvement? I know it's bothering her and we all know how uncomfortable something in the eye can be. The kitten does not leave her head and neck alone which is another issue I'm dealing with.
1574768899675.png
1574768854059.png

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If the vet said it would be a couple of days before the discharge should slow down/stop, then you are already seeing improvement! I would think if you don't see the swelling go down (which may be why her eye is partially closed) in another couple of days, then I would notify the vet. You probably ought to try to keep the kitten from bothering her too much for the next few days while it heals. If Emily seems like she is in pain, you could always ask the vet about administering a small dose of pain meds for a day or two.

If Emily doesn't eventually start to 'set the kitten' straight regarding the kitten constantly bothering Emily's head and neck, you will likely have to do it for her, by removing the kitten each time and telling her a firm 'no', then place her away from Emily for a minute or two.

How is Emily doing otherwise with the new kitten? If she seems stressed, you might consider giving her some places she can go to get away from the kitten when she feels the need to do so.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how kittens can be.....I cringed each time they jumped on my cats heads, but they didn't get scratched. The chances of it happening again are very small.
The easiest way to apply ointment is to gently pull the lower lid down until it forms a 'pouch'. Then apply the pointment in a small ribbon in thepouch. When they blink it will put the ointment on the eye. Never apply the ointment directly to the eyeball. After a while, if you persist, they get pretty laid back about you doing this. I would practice pulling the lid down for a few seconds whenever you get a chance to get her used to it.
Don't stop your older cat from discipling teh little one. That is what females do. If she grabs the kitten and pins him down, slaps him, or growls at him, let her be. That is how kittens learn limits on playing. You don't want him growing up to be a bully. The kitten will scream like he is being murdered if she pins him, that is normal if you remember kittens playing together and how they scream! PS I agree with the above, pull the kitten off her and distract him for a bit to give her a break. Get a catnip filled kickeroo on Amazon or pet stores. They are long toys that cats wrestle with. They are irrisistable, and throwing it next to the kitten will distract him form Emily. Also, the kitten will eventually outgrow this, and Emily will eventually get him in order.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

okeelady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Emily's eye looks a little better this morning yay! I tried holding her lower lid open to put the ointment in but being alone I couldn't hold her, hold the ointment and hold the lid but I am getting it in her eye so I figure its better than not getting it in at all. Those Jackson Galaxy kickeroo's are great! I must have 1000+ cat toys and numerous cat trees and posts. Over 30 years I've had 17 inside cats all older strays (except the two I have now) that have appeared at my house so I've accumulated a bunch of cat things. Emily has slept in the bedroom alone with me the past 2 nights which has been really nice to bond with her. Normally I have to keep the bedroom door closed otherwise Bob the kitten attacks my feet and won't let me sleep. I've had Bob 2 months and they chase each other and play a lot so they do get along pretty good. If he'd leave her head, neck and tail alone I'm sure they'd get along better.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you even wipe some along her closed eyelids, some will work it's way in. i had a cat that required cleaning and medicine for literally months, he didn't even move at all when I applied the ointment he got so used to it. I'm so glad it looks better!