Question about embrace insurance

leyz

First Time Cat Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. So I got embrace insurance last year and I'm up for renewal.

I have a question to those who have embrace insurance. so every year does the policy premium go higher compared to when you sign up as a new customer? say for example I did my cat quote for same amount, his policy premium renewal is $27 compared to if I sign up as a new customer and the policy is only $26. also just for does the waiting period renew every year when you renew your policy - like it becomes 14 days again for illness and 3 days for accident? thank you!

Screenshot_20220125-033415_Gmail.jpg

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IDK about pet insurance but human insurance is known to go up yearly due to inflation and other reasons. I'd image the same with pet insurance.

I'd call Embrace directly to find out. Policies are so hard to read sometimes!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a question to those who have embrace insurance. so every year does the policy premium go higher compared to when you sign up as a new customer? say for example I did my cat quote for same amount, his policy premium renewal is $27 compared to if I sign up as a new customer and the policy is only $26. also just for does the waiting period renew every year when you renew your policy - like it becomes 14 days again for illness and 3 days for accident? thank you!

View attachment 408744
I see that you have a large total cap plus reimbursement percentage is that why your monthly was so high ?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m looking at Embrace as well for my new kitty. I’m doing a search here for opinions and experiences and your thread being most recent comes up first.

You will have a lower premium with a higher deductible. I just did a comparison of my quotes. The $1000 deductible is half the rate of the $200 deductible. You can save another $1 per month by selecting the annual payment option instead. And yes, as your cat ages, you can expect the premium to go up as well. Some of that may also be inflation. Everything costs more this year than it did last year. And some of that will be keeping pace with your cat’s age.

With pet insurance, you don’t want to change your carrier. Any illness that has happened since he signed up last year has the potential to be a “preexisting condition” with another carrier. Even if that illness was temporary. My Krista had a vomiting visit in her 18 month look back period for Trupanion. That ruled out every bill related to her future IBD and lymphoma. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I signed her up a week shy of her 13th birthday which would have made her ineligible had I waited a week. I don’t know if other carriers would take her at that age. But then by the time I was thinking of shopping around again (bc Trupanion was rejecting anything close to that vomiting “preexisting condition), she had many more visits in her file for another carrier to write exclusions on.

I would say stick with Embrace. I have done some comparison shopping for my new cat. Embrace looks like the best for price vs coverage. Bump your deductible to $500 or $1000. That should lower your rate significantly. And no, there is not a waiting period on renewal. Once you’re signed up and you passed the first waiting period, the coverage should be good until you cancel it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leyz

First Time Cat Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you guys for the reply! i was wondering coz I thought they had to give me a new waiting period. My premium is higher compared to when I have a new cat but i'm sticking with embrace. Thank you!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you guys for the reply! i was wondering coz I thought they had to give me a new waiting period. My premium is higher compared to when I have a new cat but i'm sticking with embrace. Thank you!
Is your new kitty a indoor/outdoor kitty? I was wondering why your carrying such a high total cap of $30k.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ust did a comparison quote with "Embrace" my 3 yr. Old has a higher monthly premium than my 2 yr. Old. Plus the 3yr. old maximum cap is $2k less than the 2 y r. old. To insure both monthly would cost me $43. + the initial $25. Administrative fees.

leyz

First Time Cat Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
I ust did a comparison quote with "Embrace" my 3 yr. Old has a higher monthly premium than my 2 yr. Old. Plus the 3yr. old maximum cap is $2k less than the 2 y r. old. To insure both monthly would cost me $43. + the initial $25. Administrative fees.
thank you so much! this is noted!!!

leyz

First Time Cat Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
Is your new kitty a indoor/outdoor kitty? I was wondering why your carrying such a high total cap of $30k.
indoor. but i was worried for in the future. with inflation and possible cancer, it should be about that much.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
indoor. but i was worried for in the future. with inflation and possible cancer, it should be about that much.
Seems to me that the older the cat is the more the policy costs. Yet the total cap is reduced. Perhaps my two are a bit higher as they are both purebreed Turkish Van's.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$43 for two cats is not bad at all. I did comparison shopping for my five year old among several carriers. I didn't search all of them. How can I even know that? But of the six or so that I did quote, only Healthy Paws had lower rates than Embrace. But they also had lower limits and lower reimbursement percent. For the coverage, you can't beat Embrace.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems to me that the older the cat is the more the policy costs. Yet the total cap is reduced. Perhaps my two are a bit higher as they are both purebreed Turkish Van's.
That's weird that they reduced the cap. I wonder if that's a multi-cat thing. My five year old was offered a cap of $30,000. I have only the one to insure. With a $1000 deductible and an expensive California zip code, her premium came out to $18. I went with the $217 annual payment.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 408744
Does "Embrace " pay the Veterinarian directly. Or do you, then seek reimbursement ?

leyz

First Time Cat Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
i see! yeah pure bred i think has higher premiums!

leyz

First Time Cat Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
$43 for two cats is not bad at all. I did comparison shopping for my five year old among several carriers. I didn't search all of them. How can I even know that? But of the six or so that I did quote, only Healthy Paws had lower rates than Embrace. But they also had lower limits and lower reimbursement percent. For the coverage, you can't beat Embrace.
that's true. i think embrace is really good!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no, it's reimbursement type sadly!
I chose another insurance Than "Embrace". I looked a a Pet Insurance Review. I went with "Pets Best", they received a 98% approval rating . They also offered 4 options of payment, which was nice. Monthly, Quarterly , Semi Annually Or Annually . I chose the Annually Payment. I have a $250.00 deductible , 90% Reimbursement , with a unlimited cap. Another nice feature is a 24/7 Veterinarian Help line. I saved a little by choosing one payment. I did it mostly because I didn't want the monthly payment hassle.

leyz

First Time Cat Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
I chose another insurance Than "Embrace". I looked a a Pet Insurance Review. I went with "Pets Best", they received a 98% approval rating . They also offered 4 options of payment, which was nice. Monthly, Quarterly , Semi Annually Or Annually . I chose the Annually Payment. I have a $250.00 deductible , 90% Reimbursement , with a unlimited cap. Another nice feature is a 24/7 Veterinarian Help line. I saved a little by choosing one payment. I did it mostly because I didn't want the monthly payment hassle.
Nice choice as well. I checked on that as well before and it was one of my options actually but it was a little bit pricier than embrace. Although, they did have the unlimited reimbursement which is cool! :-)

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice choice as well. I checked on that as well before and it was one of my options actually but it was a little bit pricier than embrace. Although, they did have the unlimited reimbursement which is cool! :-)
I paid $232.14 for 1 yrs coverage. I was given a $11.61 discount since I paid the whole amount. In April I plan on adding Miles to the policy.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I am going to choose Embrace as well. Although there are other companies with cheaper premiums they appear to have really good coverage and from what I have been able to find, their claim payouts and process are reviewed favorably by customers. I did notice in the literature that you have the ability to lower coverage in some way in the future you can do so but if you want to increase your coverage, it will be like starting over with a new policy with waiting times and any condition that might be pre-existing at that time. In order to avoid that, I'm going with unlimited annual expense and 90% reimbursement since I am able to fit that into my current budget. Vet costs are so high.