Question about Dr Harvey's freeze dried tripe

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it isn't a hit here, Jennie is the only one who likes it, and whoever said it smells like cow poop was exactly right! :lol3::lol3::lol3:

My question is how many (or how much of one) of these patties would make a small meal? A meal equivalent say to: one ounce of canned food or one ounce of muscle meat/liver (calcium supplemented)?

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried some freeze dried.....mine will eat it dry as a treat, but didn't like it reconstituted.  They do like either fresh, or canned (which is not a great option due to containing carrageenan).

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Otto: Did this product crumble, or at least break apart easily? It seems if it is in a patty form, then it has been ground.

To answer your question, there is prob not a good answer other then reconstitute it and weigh it.  Is it a meal, not really, its marketed as a treat, and of course you could make that to a meal.

I made the mistake of buying Evanger's version. First problem is and I knew that Evangers had ceased to produce freeze dried treats and switch to air dried.

I have a hard time believing they made it in house(they claimed to me) and gave up, maybe air treats are getting more popular, but i think they are pointless for cats.

The other problem is it was hard as a rock, it wasn't a patty, it was like they just threw the tripe in the freeze dryer.

I gave it to my brother for his dog.  I should break the rest apart with a hammer so he doesnt choke on it.

Harley: I had that can of Trippette I told you about.  Well my brothers dog got real stomach sick one day, runs, and wouldn't touch a thing, not dry food, not steak, nothing.

I was a little panicked for my canine nephew so I took over the canned tripe, I knew it was popular to dogs and really "attracted" them.

[Let me state, that cooked tripe smells FOUL]

Well he didn't eat, but he was smelling it (which was good as he wasn't getting up).  somehow some fell on the carpet. I tossed it and saved the rest of the can in the fridge.

Well the next day dog was better (pitbull), but when he came home (parents watch during day) he started rubbing his face on the carpet where some had spilled!

Then the other day, I forgot to put the second half of a whole ground rabbit(with fur) chub in the fridge, it sat out all day. My brother said bring it over.

The dog didn't eat (he gets fed ALOT of no no food at grandparents house), but he did the same wild reaction, rubbing his face on ground next to the bowl. 

Can't wait for my next HT order, will get the ground tripe for the dog (give him half, test other half on kitties).

Im getting real close to getting my Weston grinder, if the kittens like the tripe, I might use whole tripe to cut the ground chicken, maybe 10%?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are like little pucks actually, about one inch in diameter, 3/4 inch thick. They break up easily.

They do not absorb water well, but Jennie doesn't have a problem with that. I gave her half a puck broken up into a little water as a meal. Half a puck, without water is .1 (one tenth) of an ounce, which would be on par with two Stella&Chewy nuggets.

In my house 6 S&C nuggets (re-hydrated) equal an .8 (point 8) ounce meal. So..if I am doing my math right 1 1/2 tripe pucks would equal that.

Okay. :)

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can't wait for my next HT order, will get the ground tripe for the dog (give him half, test other half on kitties).

Im getting real close to getting my Weston grinder, if the kittens like the tripe, I might use whole tripe to cut the ground chicken, maybe 10%?
10% sounds about right.  I mixed 8 pounds of chicken with 2 pounds of tripe.....think it was a little too much, and they didn't like it as much.  Last month tho....they loved the beef supermix that was 50% tripe.  I also used a bigger chunk chicken supermix with the mix (2 pounds of the total 10 pounds)....with extra hearts and gizzards....so that may have been the problem....maybe a bit too chunky for them with 40% being chunkier.  I think the dogs will get the rest of the chicken supermix.  (Fortunately, they will eat anything...lol).