Question about cerenia

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I can't find a photo of how I do it but found this one.

I put my fingers right where the whiskers are and tilt my hand back-by tilting head back with your wrist the mouth will fall open enough to get the pill popper in there.

I saw another photo show them using their finger on the side of the mouth but I had a chomper and nope she would NOT tolerate this.

Right now my Pumpkin face is easy to pill but the pill popper makes life so much easier.

I call my method the pinch method=you use the forefinger and thumb at the top of mouth where the whiskers start- and you tilt your wrist back like you would turn a book page-I just searched 10 videos and NO one uses my method-learned about this method from ?? Someone showed it to me online, I don't like the videos as most cats use their paws to scratch you or scrunch down so you can't get the head to tilt back. Most cats it's a two person ordeal. My Angel Floey was a 4 person ordeal. She was the hardest cat EVER to pill. Good luck. We used injections and liquids with her. There was no way she would allow you to open her mouth.

Sorry I don't have a drawing=tomorrow I will practice a drawing or maybe get Jon (bf) to hold the camera and film me pilling Pumpkin face tomorrow. But I know she isn't your typical feisty cat.

The best bet is to roll that pill in butter and try to pop it into the back of the mouth followed by a syringe of water afterwards to make sure they swallow it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessdotdotdot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat
They didn't even test for any virus. They told me they doubt it's the virus because she's up to date on all her shots. They think she bit into a wire. No tests were done to find out why she now has this ulcer on her toungue! The vet gave me a choice of mixing it into her food or the liquid form l, I went with liquid because she wasn't eating.

Thanks so much! I only have a Petco near by, not sure they'd sell them... but it's worth a shot. I never knew they made pill poppers and gel caps for kitty medicine. I also never knew I could cost the medicine in butter. That's not bad for a cat? These are awesome tricks since she has so many pills she has to take and can be difficult with keeping them in her mouth!

I was trying to lift her head back like that, but she does this thing where she backs up her whole body when I'm trying to do it. And then once she kept spitting it out once I put it in, the pill kept sticking to my fingers so it was hard to get the pill all the way on the back of her mouth so she could swallow. But I'm gonna try your way, maybe I'll have a better result!

I'm deff gonna check out petco for all those neat things they have when I leave work. Because once I leave here, she needs her appetite stimulant and her cerenia. I can't imagine she'll be easy on me this time. Thank you!!!! I would have never known, this is the first time I ever had to do any of this, so it's totally new to me!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
butter won't hurt them. and I also syringe some water into kitties mouth before so it's wet. the butter will help it slide down. just get normal real butter. nothing fancy. take a tiny dab on your finger-see if kitty will lick it off your fingers-if she does-give her some butter on your finger then pill her then follow with water. also check to see if she will take a pill pocket. it's treats with a hollow center so you can put a pill inside it-most cats don't chew treats-they just swallow whole.

I find it's best to put cat on a medium high surface with their butts against the wall so they can't back up.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gabapentin is more for nerve pain.  You can't really test for these viruses.  Syringe feeding is common practice and appetite stimulants don't always work.  If its Calici virus, you would likely see multiple ulcers plus common URI symptoms, sneezing, discharge etc, and occasionally some lameness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessdotdotdot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
stephenq stephenq Everything she prescribed has been working great, thank goodness! She's somewhat back to normal. But it was ONLY her tongue. No ulcers on her gums or anywhere else, just the tip of the tongue. No eye discharge, no sneezing, no URI symptoms. Just her tongue being very red and and just "raw" is the best way to put it. So with that being said, does that mean she most likely didn't have the calici virus? She DID have a 105.5 fever on Sunday and then showed the signs on her tongue by Tuesday...

sarahsmith455

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was prescribed Cerenia for my cat who I think is feeling a little woozy off the antibiotics she's on for an infection. I was wondering if anyone knew how long it took for cerenia to finally work and kick in with the pill form?
Our cat was diagnosed with Lymphoma and was initially prescribed Cerenia and the appetite stimulant Mirtazapine along with Prednisolone. He was very lethargic after being given the medication, but had also been very sick before we started him on the meds, so we didn't know if it was the cancer or the medication. After being given the medication he stopped eating all together, was drooling a ton and was seemingly on his last leg and we were getting ready to put him down. We weren't giving up all together though and even though our vet said most cats do well on Cerenia and the appetite stimulant Mirtazapine, he listened to us and switched our cat to a new appetite stimulant Entyce that is very new and has an off label use for cats. We also started giving him 1/2 a dose of Pepcid AC instead of the anti-nausea Cerenia. Within a day he started acting normal and eating again. We also played around with the times we gave him his medication and we are currently giving him the Entcye in the morning and the Prednisolone along with the Pepcid in the evening after his last meal. He mostly was throwing up at night, so the Pepcid is helping the with that and we haven't seen him throw up since starting him on it. We are also giving him chemotherapy as well and we don't know the end result of all this, but he is so much happier and acting like his old self and hanging with us, cuddling and begging for treats. I just wanted to share with anyone out there going through Lymphoma with their cat another option that your vet may or may not be offering to you.

cookiebeast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi sarahsmith455,

Thanks for writing your experience with Cerenia. My cat was diagnosed small cell lymphoma and she started chemo for about 2 weeks now. I haven't got much success with Cerenia and Mirtazapine. It causes excessive drooling and she tends to not want to eat at all. I even got the Cerenia shot as the pills wasn't working for her.

We have an appointment on Friday and I'll be sure to bring up Entyce and Pepcid to the vet. My cat doesn't throw up at all, I think she's nauseated because she turns her face away from food each time I bring it to her. This is usually after she takes her chemo pill, Leukeran.

Slimkittykim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat was diagnosed with Lymphoma and was initially prescribed Cerenia and the appetite stimulant Mirtazapine along with Prednisolone. He was very lethargic after being given the medication, but had also been very sick before we started him on the meds, so we didn't know if it was the cancer or the medication. After being given the medication he stopped eating all together, was drooling a ton and was seemingly on his last leg and we were getting ready to put him down. We weren't giving up all together though and even though our vet said most cats do well on Cerenia and the appetite stimulant Mirtazapine, he listened to us and switched our cat to a new appetite stimulant Entyce that is very new and has an off label use for cats. We also started giving him 1/2 a dose of Pepcid AC instead of the anti-nausea Cerenia. Within a day he started acting normal and eating again. We also played around with the times we gave him his medication and we are currently giving him the Entcye in the morning and the Prednisolone along with the Pepcid in the evening after his last meal. He mostly was throwing up at night, so the Pepcid is helping the with that and we haven't seen him throw up since starting him on it. We are also giving him chemotherapy as well and we don't know the end result of all this, but he is so much happier and acting like his old self and hanging with us, cuddling and begging for treats. I just wanted to share with anyone out there going through Lymphoma with their cat another option that your vet may or may not be offering to you.

4cats1parrot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was prescribed Cerenia for my cat who I think is feeling a little woozy off the antibiotics she's on for an infection. I was wondering if anyone knew how long it took for cerenia to finally work and kick in with the pill form?
This is an old post but in case anyone is reading today, I have heard about allergic reactions to this drug...not that it happens often but when it does its bad what was suggested to me was INSIST on cerenia PILLS the first time in case of a reaction theyusually try to givea shot that i think was supposed to last a week where as a pill is for the day and in the case of an allergic reaction you can stop. My cat had a cycle of vomiting causing nausea causing vomiting and neededit to stop the cycle...now I use slyppery elm bark gruel is does help with nausea. You mix it with water or Aloe (aloe is deadly to cats get the right kind!) it has to be lily of the dessert INNER leaf only not whole leaf or georges which i like cause it has no taste. Mix with the aloe or water till its a sloppy gruel and either syrynge it in or finger it in the mouth or add to food. I dont remember the ratio but if you go to foodfurlife.com look in their files on the site it tells you more there. It is also used for constipation

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you sure you are not confusing Cerenia with another drug, Convenia? Cerenia is an antiemetic, Convenia is an antibiotic.

Cerenia injections most certainly do not “last” a week. An injected dose will persist in the blood stream just as long as an oral dose. The only difference is that if the gut is not healthy, the oral dose may not be absorbed well and may not work as well as an injection. Besides, who wants to take pills when they are nauseated? Injections or suppositories are the way to go.

4cats1parrot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you sure you are not confusing Cerenia with another drug, Convenia? Cerenia is an antiemetic, Convenia is an antibiotic.

Cerenia injections most certainly do not “last” a week. An injected dose will persist in the blood stream just as long as an oral dose. The only difference is that if the gut is not healthy, the oral dose may not be absorbed well and may not work as well as an injection. Besides, who wants to take pills when they are nauseated? Injections or suppositories are the way to go.
My vet told me the injection is better as I dont have to repeatedly give pills And it would be good for a week and to come back if it persisted, another group i belong to warned me try the pill firs to find out if your pet is allergic or not as there are people there who had a horrific problem due to an allergic reaction and a way to avoid it would be to start with tablet first if all is well go for the shot. Pilling a cat is not hard. Im not confusing it, it was prescribed-for her nausea. Im not knocking the drug but i still think a tablet would be out of her system faster than a shot...after all he told me I wouldnt need another for a week for a reason.