Question About Cat With Anal Glands Issues

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've suspected my female cat has had anal gland issues for awhile--she'll express them when you pick her up a certain way or touch certain parts of her lower body. Flax seed meal in her wet food has cut it down a lot but it still happens.

It took THREE vets until I found one who took me seriously. The first two vets basically told me there's nothing that can be done and that her bum area looked healthy. Finally the third vet without question expressed the glands for me and said it was 'significantly bad'.

Since then my cat's attitude has turned around for the better: she's MUCH more affectionate and seems really happy.

So my questions are:

1. Is this condition actually uncomfortable for the cat? My cat's behavior leads me to think so.

2. If anyone else has this issue, when should I have her bum checked again? Is it possible it was a one-time issue and the flax seed will maintain her health now?

Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the glands are really full, it may become uncomfortable for the cat and the cat will scoot his or her butt across the floor to try to relieve the pressure and pain.

Some cats need a little help with their anal glands. You can empty them yourself at home. It can be messy and you may need an extra pair of hands to hold the cat. You can ask the vet to show you how or look up Youtube videos or articles on how to do it. How often to empty the gland depends on the cat. Some may need it done a few times a week, others go can a few weeks or longer. Usually you know when it's time when the but area smells horribly stinky and maybe even see little brown wet spots when your cat getse off the sofa or something soft and / or the cat starts scooting.

tvet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My older female cat had to have gets expressed twice. Of course they don't like it being done...who would. But the end result was with her being a much happier cat. And I took her to the vet...i was too nervous to try and do it myself. Good luck with your kitty.

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is her poop soft? Some cats and dogs have issues with their anal glands and adding some sort of fiber can help. If the poop is too soft it won't press against the glands and express naturally, so sometimes firming up the poop can help.
I have 3 dogs and two don't have issues but one has to get his anal glands done about once a month, or once every couple months.