Question about cat trees

Janiedoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cats. Both common domestic cats. Both spayed females. Small to medium size. ( 8.5 & 9.5 lbs.) I'm here because I'm looking for a new, and better cat tree. (The old one is 2 years old, and getting wobbly)
Looking for opinions and recommendations.
These are the trees that I'm looking into purchasing. All are made by/sold at Newcatcondos.com
Screenshot_20220427-122938_Chrome.jpg

4 foot tall about $180
The next one is around 6'
Priced at around $250
Screenshot_20220423-102821_Chrome.jpg

I appreciate any and all opinions.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
If you can, check different websites and wait for a holiday sale or a flash sale, and as you mentioned, read the reviews so you avoid ones that aren't sturdy. I did fairly well in that regard by waiting, with a big and tall one for my big boy on a half-off price sale.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat Tree King, highly recommend if looking for something ultra stable and long lasting. Pricey, however, but they do run sales every now and then. We have 2 of the not too fancy types. I like that the platforms are oversized for bigger cats too (one of mine is a Maine Coon and super long so needs the extra space)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd look for one without carpet on it. Carpet is a hair magnet and a total pain if your cat throws up or has an accident on it.

I have low ceilings and most commercial ones don't fit or look stupidly high because of the bulkheads. I did have a small carpet one but my cat threw up a furball on it and I couldn't get it clean. Ended up throwing it out because it stank.

I have shelves now instead of trees, much easier to clean a wooden plank.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Janiedoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies.
I'd love to have shelves. But we have pine walls (shiplap) and, while it easier to secure things, it is harder to patch screw holes. And, I am concerned about the wood splitting. For now, I'm replacing the tree with another "cheapish" ($115) tree from chewy. I think the girls will love it. It is 65" tall.
This one:
Screenshot_20220428-212423_Chewy.jpg

I hope it will last a couple of years. My daughter does upholstery, so we may do some alterations on it, right off the bat.
In the mean time, I'm going to explore building my own.
I was blown away, when I saw that New Cat Condos, had a "f" rating on the BBB page. On trustpilot, I read that their trees are "nice" but customer service is horrible. Apparently, they don't package them well for shipping. If they arrive damaged, the customer must pay for the return and wait several weeks for a refund or replacement.
Our UPS driver isn't very careful, so I'm very hesitant to buy.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats. Both common domestic cats. Both spayed females. Small to medium size. ( 8.5 & 9.5 lbs.) I'm here because I'm looking for a new, and better cat tree. (The old one is 2 years old, and getting wobbly)
These are the trees that I'm looking into purchasing. All are made by/sold at Newcatcondos.com
View attachment 418431
4 foot tall about $180
Priced at around $250
View attachment 418432

Unless you are buying it through Chewy or Amazon, I'd steer clear. Even Amazon has mixed reviews.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
View attachment 418431
4 foot tall about $180
Priced at around $250
View attachment 418432
Always check reviews of the product itself, and the company too, prior to buying. For example, Feandrea cat trees have great reviews...the company not so much. So if you want to buy one, you have to find an outlet with good customer service reviews, and avoid buying direct from the source.

Janiedoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Janiedoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I purchased some 1/4" unoiled sisal to cover the other two posts. I love the look of the Midwest trees (they are too small to make my cats happy) SO I purchased some cute upholstery fabric to jazz up the new tree a little. The tree is scheduled to ship today.
This is the fabric that I chose:
Screenshot_20220429-172843_eBay.jpg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
i am stuck with a new tree I do not like and neither does my cat. My old one lasted 10 yrs. I got this smaller one December 2021
Old tree
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004E2H486/?tag=thecatsite

New tree
Amazon Sign-In
i am stuck with a new tree I do not like and neither does my cat. My old one lasted 10 yrs. I got this smaller one December 2021
Old tree
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004E2H486/?tag=thecatsite

New tree
Amazon Sign-In
Problem solved, I think
20220429_185746.jpg

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
View attachment 418431
4 foot tall about $180
Priced at around $250
View attachment 418432

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07G3JK85F/?tag=

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00TOK58UO/?tag=

Personally I like these two.

They look like you can just toss the pads into the washer if your cat has an accident on them.

They also blend in with the decor without looking like they came from the 60s

For some reason 90% of the cat condos look like they came from a 60s hippie van. Probably the carpet on them.

But try to look for removable pads so you can just toss in the machine when dirty

Janiedoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought this one from Chewy. I'll be personalizing it a little with upholstery fabric.
Screenshot_20220428-170043_Chewy.jpg

Sinut

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 418431
4 foot tall about $180
Priced at around $250
View attachment 418432

I like the CO-Z cat tree. It is a multifunctional tree with a climbing ladder facility. My cats continuously play with it. They are so enthusiastic now. Online sites will help you to find it easily.

cowkittymom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi JanieDoe,
You can buy newcatcondo trees through Wayfair if you are concerned about dealing with the company directly. I bought the second cat tree in your post (6-foot tree with multiple scooped perches) a few years ago. It is a solid tree and only moves a little when my 11 lb cat jumps from it to another tree. It is only good for younger cats unless there is another tree next to it. They need to climb up the poles to their desired perch. My cats are 8 years old & have no problem zooming up the poles. My girl cat especially likes the scooped perch right below the top level, but she occasionally uses the other perches as well.

Janiedoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi JanieDoe,
You can buy newcatcondo trees through Wayfair if you are concerned about dealing with the company directly. I bought the second cat tree in your post (6-foot tree with multiple scooped perches) a few years ago. It is a solid tree and only moves a little when my 11 lb cat jumps from it to another tree. It is only good for younger cats unless there is another tree next to it. They need to climb up the poles to their desired perch. My cats are 8 years old & have no problem zooming up the poles. My girl cat especially likes the scooped perch right below the top level, but she occasionally uses the other perches as well.
Wayfair was out of the skyscraper, unfortunately.
I bought the xxheavy 65" from chewy and it is very sturdy. I couldn't be happier.
I still intend to upholstery it in my colors, but I put it up yesterday.
The cats are trying it out, but they keep gravitating back to the old, ugly, broken tree.
20220504_212306.jpg
20220504_211252.jpg