Question about cat nail clippers...

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they become dull quick? is it painful for the cat if they are? I bought nail clippers back in april-may, and yesterday when i was clipping my cats nails, she hissed twice. Normally, she just whines a little, but lets me clip them. I noticed the clippers feel a little harder to open and close. im not sure why, i never wet them, i just clip her nails twice a month, and put the clippers away.

should i replace them? do you guys know of better nail clippers? i just got these at petsupermarket. they are from a company called four paws. Please advice, i dont want to hurt my cat.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont use specific ones for cats I use the bigger toe nail cutters used the same set for 4 years - in theory 8 years because I have 2 cats lol and they are as sharp as the day I got them

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use the large toe-nail clippers also.  I figure if they can cut my thick nails, the delicate ones on a cat are no problem.  I have had them for about 6 years.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought nail clippers back in april-may, and yesterday when i was clipping my cats nails, she hissed twice.
I had this happen with the guillotine style ones from petsmart even though I was replacing them yearly.  I think they crush the nail a bit when they aren't sharp enough.  I replaced them with these....

We haven't had them long enough to say whether they dull as quickly as the others, but they claim to be made of surgical steel....so here's hoping.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I bought nail clippers back in april-may, and yesterday when i was clipping my cats nails, she hissed twice.
I had this happen with the guillotine style ones from petsmart even though I was replacing them yearly.  I think they crush the nail a bit when they aren't sharp enough.  I replaced them with these....

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Touch-Cat-Claw-Clipper/dp/B00106TAEU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1353348797&sr=8-2&keywords=cat+nail+scissors

We haven't had them long enough to say whether they dull as quickly as the others, but they claim to be made of surgical steel....so here's hoping.
I've been using the same style for several years. I actually have two because I misplaced one for a while. Anyway, on pair started out sharper than the other. The sharpest one is still working well after 3+ years clipping claws on my 7 cats plus all the cats at the shelter.

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like many others here, I use human nail clippers, either the toenail size (which I use for my hands) or maybe the normal size.

IMO Revlon makes the best (Im a freak, I bought like 8 pairs at walmart so I can never be without one)

Now I just got two new kittens, about to hit 4 months.

There nails didnt hurt the first month I had them, then i realized the breeder had clipped them.

I will probably be doing my first clip tonight.

So to conclude, I say throw away the guiotine clippers, tell your vet you use human ones and take humor in their gasps of shock.

And another tip, just go for the tips of the nails, it takes away the skin and fabric tearing property, and your cat is not as spooked.

If you just clip the tips as they come in, you and kitty will be happy.

Also, look into Imperial Cat brand cat scratchers, they are the best quality cardboard scratchers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like many others here, I use human nail clippers, either the toenail size (which I use for my hands) or maybe the normal size.

IMO Revlon makes the best (Im a freak, I bought like 8 pairs at walmart so I can never be without one)
interesting, i have heard of others using human nail clippers, i might look into that. thanks!

EDIT: do you mean the ones that are like this?

Last edited:

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sure, specifically I use
Now mind two things ,the bigger the clipper, the more control you have, however, as with all clippers, you can have a crush/smash effect if not careful.

I think crushing comes when the nail has thickened (this either due to age, or infrequent clipping, as my kitty got older I clipped less and less often).

Use the human clipper sideways.

Cats nails are "sideways" if you compare them to ours.

And like I said, go for the tips first.

You should have your cat conditioned to accept clipping, so the more often you do it the better.

But if you screw up and get too close the nerves, dont be suprised if the cat never lets you do it again.

So to reiterate, shorter is better.

And throw away those rediculous petsmart clippers, I swear those are designed for small dogs, whose nails are 10x thicker than a cats.

Its a crime they sell them,  I bet if folks knew the basics on cat nail clipping, alot less adult cats would get declawed by their elitist owners