Question about cat cones

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is being treated for an eye infection and part of the vets current instructions include him wearing a cone to keep him from irritating the eye further. His little brother loves to groom him and will still be able to with the cone on. Is there a way to fix it so he can’t get in? They’ve already spent two weeks being separated most of the time and are miserable without each other. Also how far past the end of kittys nose should the cone come to keep him from being able to groom his face? The cone seems a bit long and he’s having a difficult time navigating the stairs and things

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I haev found stress in cats can contribute to delated healing and all kinds of problems. I would let his brother out and monitor them. If you are able to watch, get the cone off once in a while too. they might not be as bad as you think. I have had cats with eye scratches and have never used a cone. If you are unable to monitor them, keep the cone on. I don't think brother will want to lick him with the cone on. don't separate them all the time, they may actually start to forget each other!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I so agree with di and bob di and bob ! Play this one by ear. Leave the cone off while you are close by to monitor, and allow them to be together. You'll quickly know (within a day or two) if you can leave the cone off, and not separate them when you are not there to monitor.

fastelk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just posted a similar issue.

Mine wasvto prevent my Checkers from scratching himself bloody and to heal the sites. I saw on here the idea to clip off the tie of an old sock and slide it on his neck. No it won't help the rye, but it will keep him from scratching. It seems to work like a "thunder shirt" for doggies, calming them. The collar just freaks them out and creates havoc. Worth a try.

Btw, Checkers had to have an onlation bc his eye was scratched and became infected. So the Vet removed it. (Unfortunately he has a cataract in the other. So he's blind now.) We couldn't keep the collar on him bc Checkers would wiggle out of it.

From now on, we'll never use a collar ever again! #SockCollar

Cat scratching her face bloody

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sock collar I don’t think would work to keep him from washing his face with his front paws or scratching at his eye with his back paw?