Question about adding a second cat

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this is the right area for this but I am debating getting a companion pet for my 14 month old cat, Magnus.

I have not made up my mind yet, and am weighing the pros / cons (not to mention I live in an apartment so I don't have any good way of separating the two animals initially).

Anyway, I may very well NOT get a second cat but I wanted to figure out a couple of things so as to make a better decision.

1) I already have a male cat, Magnus, age 14 months old, but he's fairly timid. He used to be a feral, and had one littermate and was with his mom up until almost 6 months old, when he was caught by a TNR group and we adopted him. He's been the only cat in our apartment since then. It took him a month to be comfortable enough with us to come out from under the bed and start exploring the apartment. He still hides from strangers. But he has bonded with my husband and I and is not timid around us. 

I was CONSIDERING getting him a playmate because, even though I work from home, I do have to work while I'm at home, and I thought if he had a little buddy to play with he would like that. BUT given his timid nature, I'm wondering if he would have a hard time with another animal? Do you think he'd better off as a solo cat? when is a cat NOT a good candidate for getting them a companion? would they teach each other bad habits or would the second cat help build his confidence?

I probably should have adopted him and his brother and the same time but his brother was apparently not as socialized at the time and the TNR group didn't want to adopt him out (he went back to being semi feral but then eventually moved in with the woman who had been feeding him).

Also I've only ever had one cat at a time so not sure how it would be to have to take care of two cats (more food bills obviously). My landlord is OK with one cat but I'd have to double check if he'd have a problem with two.

2) Should the second cat be a male also? I have more experience with male cats than females, i admit. I was thinking if we got a second cat it should be about the same age or slightly younger than Magnus? (so an older kitten to about a year old?). Or would it be better to get a slighly older cat (role model), as long as he is mellow / gentle (not alpha)?

3) IF I get a second cat, I know you are supposed to separate them for a while, but I live in an apartment and there is really no way of confining him to one room without stressing Magnus (the only rooms that can be closed off is the bedroom (where Magnus sleeps and is his "base camp"), or the bathroom, where Magnus litterbox is. how would that work?

I probably am NOT going to add a second cat while i live in an apartment. Maybe if I ever move to a house... but I wanted to get some answers / suggestions so if the opportunity presents itself I know what I should do. 

Probably it's just kitten fever as well; I keep seeing cute cats that need to be rescued from the rescue group where I got Magnus, as well as on other rescue sites online and I am probably thinking with my heart and not my brain lol....

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can afford another cat, you should get another cat.

I had 2 cats in an apartment - one I think was a very recently strayed kitten (SO friendly and clean) and the other was a feral kitten we captured, both girls.
This was back in the eighties so we just took 'em into our 2 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn - none of this fancy intro stuff.

No problems except the feral spent her first 3 months with us under a bed.

You should get a cat of similar age & energy level so one isn't always annoying/frustrating the other with demands for play.

I read a trick for figuring out if your cat will tolerate a new cat (I don't know if I buy it's veracity but whatever).

Go love on some other cat, pet it get it's scent all over you and go home and see how Magnus reacts. If he doesn't hiss at you - it can probably work.

Act super excited about the new cat. Tell Magnus you're doing this for him; you're getting him his very own cat.

I would keep the new cat in the bathroom - I'm sure you can find someplace else for the litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks for the advice. Another question: how can you tell if a rescue cat is an alpha or more 'mellow' around other animals. I think an alpha would be a disaster and I don't want Magnus to get bullied. The whole idea is for him to have a buddy.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The shelters usually put cats together to figure out if they get along with other cats - so the staff would tell you.

I should say that I don't really get the whole 'alpha cat' thing. As far as I understand it, it's a model that is based on canine social interaction.

Some cats are pushy about some things, but not about others. And the cats decide whether stuff is worth fighting over.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For instance, Cagney gets kind of aggressive over food and Lacey will back off - which is why I have to feed them off separate plates.

Lacey gets pretty crazy over Da Bird and will hiss at Cagney is Cagney gets too close while Lacey has Da Bird. Lacey will swoop in and steal Da Bird from Cagney if she sees an opening. Cagney does not fight her for it. 

If a cat is really territorial and cannot get along with other cats, they should be able to tell u that at the shelter.