Question about a Stray and her kittens

thanatos0042

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my roommate and I moved we noticed a stay visiting our patio and started feeding her. At first she really didn't let us near her but we noticed she was pregnant and about 2 weeks later, noticed she wasn't anymore. It didn't take long at all for her to be at our door whenever she would hear us come out of it begging for attention. Fast forward to this last Monday and she brought her 5 kittens into our patio and there they have been since. We did put out a shelter for them and food and water, etc. Our dilemma is, do we bring them inside out of the elements or is it better to just let them be? (it's been raining here constantly lately) We have 6 of our own inside cats. I know the momma and kittens have a few fleas, they aren't excessive or anything, but they are outdoors sooo yeah. Any advice would be appreciated. We don't have a problem taking care of them, we are just not sure if we should try bringing them inside or not.

Thanks!

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes bring them inside if you can work on taming them than the kittens may end up having a better chance of an indoor home instead of outdoor. If the mother ends up up the same could be true for her. The fact is being outside is not good for the kittens.

Edit - A safe room, a carrier, a crate anything like that is useful too. Just keep them from your residents and deal with the flea problem carefully. I don't know how friendly the mother is she seems to trust you to some degree at least if she brought her kittens. But once again outside is not to their benefit.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in soon enough though.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

When my roommate and I moved we noticed a stay visiting our patio and started feeding her. At first she really didn't let us near her but we noticed she was pregnant and about 2 weeks later, noticed she wasn't anymore. It didn't take long at all for her to be at our door whenever she would hear us come out of it begging for attention. Fast forward to this last Monday and she brought her 5 kittens into our patio and there they have been since. We did put out a shelter for them and food and water, etc. Our dilemma is, do we bring them inside out of the elements or is it better to just let them be? (it's been raining here constantly lately) We have 6 of our own inside cats. I know the momma and kittens have a few fleas, they aren't excessive or anything, but they are outdoors sooo yeah. Any advice would be appreciated. We don't have a problem taking care of them, we are just not sure if we should try bringing them inside or not.

Thanks!
Just to agree with the above.  Bring them in, if its possible for you.  Have some isolation and quarantene from your residents, because of the fleas if nothing else till they are defleased, dewormed, and you fairly sure they are healthy.  Some form of vet check up is wise, but it may be easier said than done.  .  Also, she will surely be protective...

If you have an extra room, or bathroom is excellent, otherwise, a big cage or Pet Taxi, will be OK, at least to begin with...

samantha15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a stray female walk into my apartment about 15 years ago.  She gave birth in my apartment.  She was scoping out places to give birth in various rooms.  The fact that your cat didn't come in, I would assume means she wants to be away from your cats and doesn't feel safe. 

So I suppose you'd definitely have to have a closed off area for them to stay in for quite some time.  The important thing, I think is to socialize the kittens to human touch.  Pick them up every day.  I'm thinking....that if the cat is sociable enough for you to do this all will work out, otherwise it may be a problem, and then maybe the forum experts can help you out with that, I don't have the experience.  I'm thinking though that if she's wild it might be best to leave her on the porch with shelter, and then when she goes off to hunt, you can get easy access to the kittens every day.

Best case scenario of course though, would be to bring them inside.  Another thing is, if the porch is open, and accessible to mom going in and out, then it will be for other animals too.  A male cat or dog could easily come inside the porch and harm the kittens. 

Best of luck