que on tick maybe?

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat got out (she is an indoor cat) and was out for 6 days. Well my daughter just noticed something under her arm (in her armpit area) there are black dots (she said maybe tick poo) around this thing. But it is grey and I don't see any legs on it. I tried to use nail clippers didn't have tweezers so just used those to grip but to pull it off, but my kitties skin just stretched with it and the thing didnt' come off. Then the cat was really upset and growling and she cried when I pulled it. Could this be a tick or maybe a growth? I thought ticks were brown or black? My cat is orange and white with pinkish white skin so not sure why a growth would be grey.......

I am going to wait till my husband comes home and have him look too and see what he thinks. I can try to get a picture of it but kinda hard since it isn't that huge and hides in her fur some.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your indoor cat escaped and was all alone for six days, she should probably be seen by a vet. Who knows what she got into! Especially with something that odd and concerning, and with how she acted about it when you were messing with it.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by junior67

My cat got out (she is an indoor cat) and was out for 6 days. Well my daughter just noticed something under her arm (in her armpit area) there are black dots (she said maybe tick poo) around this thing. But it is grey and I don't see any legs on it. I tried to use nail clippers didn't have tweezers so just used those to grip but to pull it off, but my kitties skin just stretched with it and the thing didnt' come off. Then the cat was really upset and growling and she cried when I pulled it. Could this be a tick or maybe a growth? I thought ticks were brown or black? My cat is orange and white with pinkish white skin so not sure why a growth would be grey.......

I am going to wait till my husband comes home and have him look too and see what he thinks. I can try to get a picture of it but kinda hard since it isn't that huge and hides in her fur some.
A tick will turn gray and enlarge as it feeds on the cats blood. Sometimes a cotton ball soaked with alcohol will make it turn loose of your cat's skin,but your cat won't like it. Just be careful if you try pulling it, since their head can stay attached!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thanks. AFter my husband got home we looked and he had some tweezers so I held her while he grabbed it by the head area and we got it all out.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dushka picked up a sheep tick once, it was large and grey, and I at first thought it was a growth. Make sure you watch the area for infection, and clean it well with betadine disinfectant.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its gray and puffy, its probably an engorged (blood filled) tick - that's why you don't see the legs and it won't come off. I've only seen the engorged ticks a few times on stray dog/cat and for some reason its grey color.

When its full it will fall off. Not sure if you should pull it off cause you'll leave the mouth parts and it can be infected. Maybe call the vet and ask them how to remove it safely. If you "pop" it, the tick will be dead and you will get blood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my aunt and step father both said when they are "older" and full of blood they get gray. So guess that is why. we did get it off and made sure we got all of it. I have been washing and watching the area and looks normal so far.