Quality Catnip

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Where can I purchase really good quality catnip? I have some refillable toys and scratchers, but the stuff at the pet stores don't seem to be that strong.

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can get Cat Crack or Cat Weed on Amazon. Was very strong for my cat and he doesnt use it anymore. He likes either the Yeow brand or cosmic catnip. I always buy the smaller packets because if u buy a larger on, for some reason it kinda expires midway- as in my cat doesn't enjoy it as catnip anymore. Perhaps whatever aroma it had is all gone after being repeatedly exposed to air.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get Cat Crack or Cat Weed on Amazon. Was very strong for my cat and he doesnt use it anymore. He likes either the Yeow brand or cosmic catnip. I always buy the smaller packets because if u buy a larger on, for some reason it kinda expires midway- as in my cat doesn't enjoy it as catnip anymore. Perhaps whatever aroma it had is all gone after being repeatedly exposed to air.
Thanks I'll check it out!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that barnyard animals are really popular with all my cats. It’s catnip in wool - 2 things cat love. Just be careful because some cats will try eat the wool so I always supervise.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got some Meowijuana at a conference and laced a friend's cat toys with it. Butterscotch enjoyed herself. Her daddy says she usually doesn't react that way.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
A potent natural alternative to catnip is silver vine. It takes a very small amount, and my cats love it! I bought the brand called KittiKrack on Amazon. According to research at the Tufts vet school, 80% of cats respond to silver vine while 70% respond to catnip.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
A potent natural alternative to catnip is silver vine. It takes a very small amount, and my cats love it! I bought the brand called KittiKrack on Amazon. According to research at the Tufts vet school, 80% of cats respond to silver vine while 70% respond to catnip.
Yes I've tried that before and they loved it, but so did my dog. He chewed it up and my cats ate the tiny pieces. Then they vomited it all over the house. My dog like to chew on sticks and I can't make him understand they are only for the cats. They can only be a very supervised treat away from Bosco.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes I've tried that before and they loved it, but so did my dog. He chewed it up and my cats ate the tiny pieces. Then they vomited it all over the house. My dog like to chew on sticks and I can't make him understand they are only for the cats. They can only be a very supervised treat away from Bosco.
Oh, joy. I bought the powdered form, and I periodically put a small amount on their toys. I took an old sock, stuffed it with pieces of towels and sheets, and tied off the end. They love to hold the sock in their paws after I treat it, kick the heck out of it, and slobber all over it. Then they look embarrassed and walk away. :)

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An associate at the pet food store I go to said you can get a large plastic container and fill the bottom about three or four inches high with catnip and keep toys in it so they all smell like catnip!

I've never hear of any of these catnips before. I have gotten mine a catnip spray but it runs out so fast and it isn't cheap. I'll have to check out cat crack an cat weed

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Come to think of , it, yes I have hear of cat crack. Not sure about cat wee. Others have mentioned it on here. I'm looking it up!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought a dry mix of silver vine and catnip on chewy. hopefully they will like that.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I just bought a dry mix of silver vine and catnip on chewy. hopefully they will like that.
How could they not? Oh, wait. They’re cats. :lol: But I’m sure they’ll go crazy for it.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An associate at the pet food store I go to said you can get a large plastic container and fill the bottom about three or four inches high with catnip and keep toys in it so they all smell like catnip!
One gallon pickle jar works well. It fits toys much larger than the marinator Jackson Galaxy sells.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I grow my own organic catnip, it's the oils that the cats react to, so freshly crushed catnip is best. It's not hard to grow if you have space that the cats can't get to to allow it to grow. My problem seems to be I have too much of it now, lol. I originally planted it in one 2x2 square raised plot. The cats roll in the plants outside and they have now "planted" it on all four sides of the house.