Quadriplegic Cat

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there. Sorry to ask, but what is behind his/her paralysis? An older cat, a kitten, other health issues, etc...

I am sure you already searched this site (as did I) and found nothing. But, I will do this, if I can't do anything else, to help you.
Meet Sir Toby Toblerone! The quadriplegic cat recruited for a very special role on the railways
How to Take Care of a Paralyzed Cat | Disabled Cats | PetPremium

Please let us know more. I am sure there are members on this site that have some other ideas/suggestions/information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'd seen the last two links, but the info. about Toby was really helpful especially the pictures of what they used to keep him physically comfortable. I've messaged his carer's through Toby's Facebook page.

I don't know what the medical reason is for this feral suddenly not being able to walk or hold his head up. I suspect it is the same illness that took another colony member a few months ago. That cat had swollen joints and a limp, but I wasn't able to catch him until he was completely lame. I took him to a vet - one of the few that would treat a feral - and had a very disappointing, upsetting , and expensive experience. I brought him home and cared for him until he passed.

This kitty has a good appetite the last couple of days. And he has some movement in his legs. Most of the time he's unable to hold his head up, but I've begun "sitting" him on my lap so that when he eats he's in a more natural position, and for a minute or two he's able to hold himself up with his front legs.

I've done rescue long enough to know that his time here isn't long. My focus is on making him comfortable. Thank you again for the Toby information.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know. It looks kind of like a cradle bed, with a pillow added to raise his head. Maybe do a search on bedding/etc. for paralyzed cats? I hope you hear from someone on Toby's FB. Have you asked to have a consult with any vet universities that might have some info on his condition? Maybe UCF, if not them, FSU or UF? The fact that he has some use of his head and paws is promising all by itself. Please keep posting, and asking questions...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Bless your heart for working so hard for this baby!

I'm thinking you might not have to find that exact bed - there are several kitties with severe CH (cerebellar hypoplasia) at kittenrescue in Los Angeles and they use beds like these for them;
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/harmony-textured-round-cat-bed-in-pink

Here is the setup they use for feeding them, with support around their backs so they don't fall over (these babies are extremely wobbly and have strong full-body jerkiness), and a bowl that doesn't slide around.

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner has given you some terrific info. The folks at kittenrescue can also give guidance with helping your baby with elimination of urine and poop if you need it.

About Us • Kitten Rescue

1592447089069.png

Last edited:

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Bless your heart for working so hard for this baby!
I'm thinking you might not have to find that exact bed - there are several kitties with severe CH (cerebellar hypoplasia) at kittenrescue in Los Angeles and they use beds like these for them;
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/harmony-textured-round-cat-bed-in-pink
Here is the setup they use for feeding them

View attachment 339466
That lead and picture is really helpful - thank you ! I looked at the round and regular orthopedic beds but wondered if the hammock type in the picture meant less pressure on the body. It must be a baby product because I've searched and couldn't find anything similar for cats. I found an undulating one for cats and dogs which would elevate the head, but it doesn't look like a natural position for a cat and all the photos were of dogs in it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kittenrescue always has a thin blanket over each bed, and I've never known if that's to help with body pressure points sort of like a hammock, or to help in case someone has a pee accident.(They change out the blanket coverings every morning and evening, and any beds that happened to get wet).
There's a bed under each cat except the grey boy

1592448220824.png

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know. It looks kind of like a cradle bed, with a pillow added to raise his head. Maybe do a search on bedding/etc. for paralyzed cats? I hope you hear from someone on Toby's FB. Have you asked to have a consult with any vet universities that might have some info on his condition? Maybe UCF, if not them, FSU or UF? The fact that he has some use of his head and paws is promising all by itself. Please keep posting, and asking questions...
I did reach out to several universities about his colony mate with similar symptoms. I got no replies.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you working with a vet?? Has anyone checked out this cat? Sometimes, a vet will have better success reaching out to a vet university and/or vets in specialty areas, such as neurology.

Still searching for additional information... here is another possible contact point for help.
Lincoln, The Formerly Quadriplegic Miracle Kitty
Roosevelt The Paraplegic Kitty

Also, lavishsqualor lavishsqualor , sorry to single you out, but thought you might have some potential contacts, or ideas, since you are the general area????

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I did reach out to several universities about his colony mate with similar symptoms. I got no replies.

They are possibly too busy to reply back. I always just took my cats to The University of Missouri whenever I needed someone to see them. I never waited for them to reply back to me. Universities tend to be up on the latest on animal health and are generally less expensive than a private vet. I am encouraged by the way he can hold his neck and paws up a little. Please do try to get him to a vet, even if he doesn't make it, it will be closure for you.

Last edited:

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you working with a vet?? Has anyone checked out this cat? Sometimes, a vet will have better success reaching out to a vet university and/or vets in specialty areas, such as neurology.

Still searching for additional information... here is another possible contact point for help.
Lincoln, The Formerly Quadriplegic Miracle Kitty
Roosevelt The Paraplegic Kitty

Also, lavishsqualor lavishsqualor , sorry to single you out, but thought you might have some potential contacts, or ideas, since you are the general area????
Thank you for the links.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's up !!!!! (partially). He moved his front end in to a semi-sitting position just now and is eating on his own !! (since he hadn't been able to support his head I was holding him in my lap with my hand by his mouth to feed him the past two weeks).

Jimmy the miracle cat. (knock wood - that one's for you Dad.)