Q About Breeding Cats

VintageLahni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi to you all who adore cats!!

Im Lahni.

Im a total newbie who just signed up here!

I would really appreciate it if you guys can help me with some information..

I live in Cali and am soon to be a future cattery owner.

I have registered my cattery name with TICA and CFA so far.

And now I’m trying to apply for EIN, but I got stuck from the beginning.

The 1st Step is Choose Entity Type.

Which one do I choose?

1. Individual/
  2. Limited Liability company/
  3. Trust/
  4. Estate of Decreased Indivisual/
  5. Non-Profit Org/
  6. Partnership/ Corporation/
  7. S-Corperation/
  8. Personal Service Corporation/
  9. Church Org
??

Is cattery business #1 or #8 ?? Or something else?? I have no clue!!

As I’m going through this application, I will most likely keep asking you to help me with all those Qs.

I THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Do you already have the cats you plan to breed from, or are you making arrangements with other registered breeders?

I'm afraid I live in the UK and therefor not familiar with 'EIN'

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Actually, you might want to look at #2, the LLC. There are lots of articles about them on google, and there are some tax advantages for a small business owner to be had, as well as some protections of personal property. They do vary from state to state somewhat, so you do need to plug your state into your search.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VintageLahni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am waiting for my kittens to be old enough to leave their mommy cat. It’s going to be late summer.
Meanwhile, I’m trying to figure out what I need to prepare.
Since my mentor cattery is Russia- My breed is Siberian-, I can’t ask my mentor about this. I might just contact local or anywhere in US for advice.
EIN- Employer Identification Number.. basically Tax ID..
I think I need one here in US.
That’s the thing.. I need to find out about..

VintageLahni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
#2..?? Oh man.. Im just so cluess!! LOL
I need to learn all these.. hahahaha
Thx for kind replies!! Helping me A LOT!! :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I strongly recommend you find an additional mentor who lives in the US, preferably in your same state or region.

CFA mentor program: Mentoring Program Overview
TICA mentor program: Mentor Program

One reason to do that before establishing yourself as a legal business is that there are many areas with restrictive anti-breeding laws that make it difficult or impossible to legally breed cats.

VintageLahni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your advice!
I have sent a couple of emails to 2 catteries. One in out side if CA, and one in CA.
Hopefully they would help me..

Thank you for the mentor program links!!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Welcome to TCS VintageLahni VintageLahni :welcomesign:

I moved the thread to the breeding forum and your account now has access to post here.

As for your question, I would highly suggest talking to a local accountant. At least from your state, preferably even from your county/city. There are so many laws and regulations about these things, many of them at state level and some even more local. An initial consultation shouldn't be too expensive and would go towards your business costs. It could end saving you a lot of money and headaches down the road.

Good luck!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would highly suggest talking to a local accountant. At least from your state, preferably even from your county/city.
Absolutely. And do check with your Better Business Bureau for any negative reports before selecting one. Also, some (like many lawyers) offer a free (or low cost) initial appointment, to see if you really need the service.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome Lahni, always nice to meet a fellow Siberian Breeder :)

I am from the Netherlands, so unfamiliar with EIN. I think you need #1 though, as you are an individual and will run the cattery on your own.

Breeders in Russia do have a slightly different approach with our breed than people in Europe and USA. Nothing bad about it, just the way of countries. But you might want to look for a breeder near you to help guide you through the first steps and to "learn" from. If you have any questions, you are free to contact me.

Good luck with your startup!

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
People in the breeding business can be anal. Trust your instincts and do a lot of your own investigation.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
People in the breeding business can be anal. Trust your instincts and do a lot of your own investigation.
Legitimate registered breeders, who are the only ones that should be breeding, have to be anal. There are a lot of rules to follow and there is obviously the health and welfare of the cats to consider.

VintageLahni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I am from the Netherlands, so unfamiliar with EIN. I think you need #1 though, as you are an individual and will run the cattery on your own.

Breeders in Russia do have a slightly different approach with our breed than people in Europe and USA. Nothing bad about it, just the way of countries. But you might want to look for a breeder near you to help guide you through the first steps and to "learn" from. If you have any questions, you are free to contact me.

S

Sorry for the late reponse..
Thank you so much for your kindness!!