Pyrantel vs. Praziquantel

tandl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I had our "feral four" spayed/neutered last week, I requested dewormer. They sent me home with four doses of Pyrantel--it was a yellowish liquid dosed out based on each cats weight.

I strongly suspect at least one of the kittens has a tapeworm -- there is often a segment of something small, white and flat sticking to his tail or around his rectum. It's a bit flatter than the 'grain of rice' description I've heard before, but same size. I will find similar things left off where he has been sleeping.

In my 'research' it looks like the Pyrantel does not treat tapeworms, but Praziquantel does. I found the Bayer praziquantel online from Chewy and it does not require a prescription.

I also found Drontal tablets that appear to have both medications, but they do require a prescription, and as the kittens just got a dose of pyrantel I'm assuming that is not appropriate.

Am I correct in my assessment that using the Bayer tapeworm dewormer is appropriate? They are pills, which made me groan considering what i just went through trying to get meds in these kittens, but these pills can be broken, crushed, etc. so I feel slightly more confident that I can sneak them in with some food!

Should I treat all of the four even though I'm only seeing direct evidence from one cat? Is it safe to assume that if one has it, they all will? Or just treat him first and see?

Thanks!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are correct on everything you said. Clinics routinely dewormer kittens with a broad spectrum dewormer. Tapeworm often is not included.

I am not afraid of dewormer. You really aren't going to do harm, the others may just not need it if they don't have them. I would typically assume if 1 in a litter has a parasite they all likely do, even if not seen yet. I would treat them all. At some point if they are staying indoor cats now, I would have a fecal sample taken to the vet just to check for anything else and to make sure they don't see any more segments. They shed at different times so it may just not be able to be seen right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tandl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are correct on everything you said. Clinics routinely dewormer kittens with a broad spectrum dewormer. Tapeworm often is not included.

I am not afraid of dewormer. You really aren't going to do harm, the others may just not need it if they don't have them. I would typically assume if 1 in a litter has a parasite they all likely do, even if not seen yet. I would treat them all. At some point if they are staying indoor cats now, I would have a fecal sample taken to the vet just to check for anything else and to make sure they don't see any more segments. They shed at different times so it may just not be able to be seen right now.
Thank you! I will go ahead and give to all.

• Purraise
Reactions: jen

BuddhaCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Drontal is not prescription only everywhere - I ordered it from a reputable online pet website that did not require a prescription. It’s quite safe and effective. I can’t recall which store I used maybe 1800petmeds? But it is available to order on several sites and what I got was the real thing.