Pyrantel Pamoate

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
since I can't go to the vet, I'm thinking of deworming my cats with pyrantel, I read 0.1ml per 2 pounds, is this accurate dosing? How should I give it to them? Give them it straight from a syringe? Or mix it with some food? But what if they refuse to eat the food?

what about other dewormers out there like ivermectin and fenbendazole? Are these better? Safer? What dewormers do you suggest?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish I could help you, but I'm not an experienced de-wormer person. Thankfully, mine have all been dewormed by the vet and I've not had to do it myself. Hoping someone will be along shortly to help you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my mom going to buy the wormer and use it on the dogs too and one of the dogs is pregnant and when the puppies are old enough, she going to deworm them. so I need to find one that is effective and safe for both species and puppies.

I'm leaning toward fenbendazole because I read it effective against roundworms, whipworms, hookworms, and tapeworms while the pyrantel is only effective against roundworms and hookworms. But costs more. Is this correct?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For young puppies you'll want pyrantel. They can't have fenbendazole until 6 weeks, but they should be de-wormed every couple of weeks starting at 2 weeks if they live outside.

Pyrantel has a high margin of safety. The official dosage is 2.5-5 mg per pound. Most suspensions are 50 mg/ml (make sure to check this because some are different). So .1 ml per pound or .1 ml per 2 pounds would both be fine. Repeat in 2 or 3 weeks to kill the worms that have hatched in the meantime. Do 3 or 4 treatments, 2-3 weeks apart each, in a row for best results.

I always give it straight from a syringe, but some cats will take it hidden in food, if the food is good. Cream is a good thing to hide it in, because the thickness of the cream kinda dulls their tastebuds, lol.

You have to really know what you're doing to mess around with ivermectin, so don't do that. Fenbendazole is slightly better than pyrantel when you don't have young puppies to worry about. But it has to be given 3-5 days in a row which is kind of a pain.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to really know what you're doing to mess around with ivermectin, so don't do that.
Yeah I rule out ivermectin based on what I read about it being able to cross the brain barrier.

The reason why I wanted to fenbendazole because I read it killed tapeworms but then I read it only kill certain types and not the common type. So would it be better to get pyrantel and Bayer tapeworm dewormer? But it expensive, is there a cheaper option?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tapeworm meds are expensive. Even when Fish Tapes was easier to find, it was still expensive. But you don't have to use it very often; only when you see signs of tapeworms.

Tradewinds tapeworm tabs are fine, or the Bayer tabs. Or whatever brand TSC has.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay I think I will only use tapeworm dewormer when I see signs, they never had fleas so I doubt they have tapeworms

I'm wondering, is it necessary to deworm when I don't see any signs of worms? They are outside and catches mice and squirrels and whatever so I don't doubt they have worms.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a vet here says usually every 6 months and also I can't seem to find a place that sells Tradewinds tapeworm, they're all sold out or not available

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long a 16oz bottle of pyrantel last? And does it expire?