Pyometra

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had my Snow spayed today. I had to let her go through one heat due to a lack of funds. After the spay my vet called and told me she had Pyametria and that it was a good thing I spayed her today because it was bad and she would have been very ill very soon. She seems to be taking a long time getting back to herself. Could it be due to the antibiotics they had to give her? I'm slightly worried.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It usually does take 24-72 hours for the surgery medications to get out of their system. My boy is completely out of sorts for a few days after any surgery. That she had pyometra as well would make her recovery likely a little slower since she also has any lingering infection to work through. If she isn't feeling more like herself (or she seems worse) within 72 hours I'd follow up with your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They sent home some pain meds for her. Any ideas on when I should start her on them? I figured I would give her the 1st dose in the morning.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depends on the medication and what they have her at the vets office. Some use a 3 day pain injection while others do a 8 hour dose after surgery. I'd call the office and ask them to verify.

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Depends on the medication and what they have her at the vets office. Some use a 3 day pain injection while others do a 8 hour dose after surgery. I'd call the office and ask them to verify.
Ok.they sent 3 syringes home that day to give one, once daily. Thank you for your help.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pyometra can be deadly and it's a serious infection. I think the spay and anesthesia combined with the infection have hit her hard. Did they give you any antibiotics for her or did they give her an antibiotic shot with her spay?

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pyometra can be deadly and it's a serious infection. I think the spay and anesthesia combined with the infection have hit her hard. Did they give you any antibiotics for her or did they give her an antibiotic shot with her spay?
They gave her a shot they said would last about 5 days. Then I suspect they will want me to bring her back in for blood work.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have the paperwork from the vet showing what kind of shot they gave her? I'm wondering if it was a Convenia shot. Those can make a kitty extremely lethargic.

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for helping to calm a nervous mommy. She is much more herself now. The scamp even tried to jump up on the kitchen counter and gave me a heart attack. Lol.

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And her other sister Lightning. Lightning and Fang were from the same litter.
IMG_20200111_150040167.jpg

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Had to take snow back in. She had a minor set back. She got a new infection. But she's on another antibiotic now.