Pyometra

imadmwk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello
Am trying to rise awareness in my group for this fetal disease, and help some cases.
I have a few questions regarding this and would like a help answering them:

I've read a lot online about the disease, but these qustions not answered.

1- Does Pyometra involve a certain type of germs, or its involve a certain situation?
2- Can this disease affect newly maturated females?
3- Is this disease contagious to other females?
4- Can this disease carried by male cat and transferred when mating?
5- Does early mating cause this disease?
6- Anything else I need to know about this?

Thanks in advance for helping

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spaying a female will prevent it entirely. It's strongly recommended to spay a pet female at a young age, and spay a breeding quality female as soon as her breeding career is over.

Pyometra is an infection in the uterus. True pyometra is common in dogs, but not actually very common in cats---the usual ailment that afflicts intact female cats is endometrial hyperplasia, but for layman's purposes it's basically the same thing. It's caused by the hormonal changes in the uterus getting out of control from being in heat too long.

It's not contagious or transmitted by males. It can affect an unspayed female at any age, but the older she is, the higher the risk gets. Though I've known 2 cats who had it before they were a year old.

This article seems like it answers most of your questions: Cystic Endometrial Hyperplasia in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost