"Putting Up" (Preserving)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm waiting for my canning jars to finish cleaning and sanitizing in the dishwasher, then I will start chopping the produce for more chutney. I have the stuff to make another batch, so figured I might as well do it and get it over with. And while I'm at it, I'm going to do another batch of honey-glazed red onions late this afternoon or early tonight. The onions have to be pressure-canned and the best way to do that is on the side burner of the grill outside. So if everything goes according to plan (and you know how that goes!), I should have another batch of chutney and another batch of red onions done today.

Rick is working OT until around 10:30 this morning. When he comes home, we're going to go to a local orchard to see what they have in the way of peaches. I'd like to can a bushel or so or peaches for Rick to have in his lunch this winter. He takes a lot of applesauce in his work lunches and I think peaches would make a nice change for him from time to time. He said he'd help me with the peeling and pitting, so we're going to see how much peaches would cost. I will also need a box of quart jars as I don't have any quart jars at all. Peaches are water-bathed canned, so that won't be bad. Plus, maybe I can get a nice peach pie out of some, too. Or at least maybe some peach dumplings. Or a cobbler...come to think of it, cobbler would taste pretty good right now.

So far I've done two batches of lime pickles, two batches of cinnamon pickles, a batch of bread-and-butter pickles (which I said I wasn't going to do, but the cucumbers produced well this year), a batch of honey-glazed red onions, and a batch of old farmhouse chutney. And then hopefully we'll get some peaches done, too.

I did four quarts of freezer cabbage; two for my sister and two for me. 

My sister and I are still talking about making chili sauce. She is the chili sauce expert; I've never tried it. And her grapes are almost ready for another try at some grape jelly. Her elderberries are almost ready, too; my BIL would dearly love a couple of elderberry pies and that's usually my department.

I don't can tomatoes, but I do roast them and then freeze the puree for sauce. I do have some dehydrated tomatoes in the freezer. And I still want to try making tomato powder. 

And next month, Rick and I will freeze a bushel or two of applesauce. I won't can applesauce because it's too easy to freeze.

Plus we have the other stuff from the garden in the freezer.

It's been a productive summer for the most part......except for the deer and raccoons stealing our corn!

I think the worst part of canning is the initial investment. Since I do pressure-can, I bought a pressure canner; it took us a while to get the hang of that thing, too. We finally decided that it works best outside on the side burner of the grill. It doesn't want to work right on the smooth-top stove in the kitchen; I have trouble getting it up to pressure and then keeping it up at the pressure. On the grill....it just goes right up to pressure and whistles for the time it's supposed to and life is good.

I tend to use a lot of pint jars and half-pint jars. The half-pints are good for chutneys and such, especially since it's just Rick and me for the most part. I give a lot of stuff to my sister and BIL and to Rick's mom and dad, too. Half-pints work out well. Pint jars work for my glazed onions and for the pickles, again because it's just the two of us....and because Rick does not eat much in the way of pickles. So most of the time, it's just me nibbling on pickles. I will do peaches in quart jars, simply because a quart jar would last Rick 3-4 days for lunches. He loves peaches. I mentioned pears, but he really doesn't care for them.

I swear that come the beginning of June next year, I will have the following items in my canning pantry: at least 25 pounds of sugar, two gallons of white vinegar, at least two packages of lime, a nice container of alum, at least two pounds of cinnamon candies, and enough canning jars to see me through the season. I ran out of lime this year and made a mad dash to our local hardware store early one morning on my way to work; thankfully, they had it. I ran out of cinnamon candies this year and made another dash to our local candy store one day over lunch at work....and bought the last pound they had at the time.

I still haven't done that much with the dehydrator, not as much as I'd like to. We did zucchini chips this year and they were quite good, especially the salt-and-pepper chips. Did some tomatoes this year, too. Hopefully I'll get some tomato powder done, just to experiment.

Does anybody else can or freeze or do any kind of preserving?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
DH is in charge of canning. We've got a whole cabinet full of tomato puree and strawberry jam. I usually do the freezing, and in fact blanched and froze the next-to-the-last batch of green beans this morning. We've got lots of peaches and decided to pit, slice and freeze them this year instead of canning them. The dehydrator will get a lot of use the next few weeks. So far we've just used it for chili peppers, but the plums, pears and apples are ready or just about. We've still got a lot of tomatoes, so maybe they'll go in the dehydrator, too.

The blackbirds are picking the grapevines clean (and driving Mogli insane in the process, since there's a vine right under the living room windows), so no grape jelly this year.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've never canned, but I do freeze. I've made 3-4 batches of spaghetti sauce so far this year and it is all in the freezer. My garden wasn't as productive this year unfortunately. :(

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up on a farm and every year there was a huge garden and a lot of canning done.  I grew up in Kansas and it got hot in the summer and with no air conditioning and all that canning the house got really hot.  

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my son was still living at home, I canned and froze everything in sight. Now, I am pretty much over it. We don't do a garden anymore. There are only two of us so we just buy produce from the local vegetable and fruit stand in the summer. We do have some fruit in the yard, We have fig bushes, pears and grapes. I took a bushel of pears to church with me last Sunday. I have picked grapes and given them away. Also folks come and pick their own. I am over picking grapes. I have been stung three times this year by wasps.
Just wanted to mention for those who like to freeze. If you have access to pears, make pies with them. Use same recipe as you would for apple pie. Cook them and freeze them. Then just heat them in the oven when you need a dessert. Serve with vanilla ice cream. They are better than apple pies.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester, you are so awesome! I love your kitchen posts!!! I'm still trying to figure out the dang crockpot... If you ever wanted to give me lessons I'd gladly pay you! ;) 

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Winchester, you are so awesome! I love your kitchen posts!!! I'm still trying to figure out the dang crockpot... If you ever wanted to give me lessons I'd gladly pay you! ;) 
Using a slow cooker is so easy.  You don't even need to use recipes.  However, if you are uncomfortable with a slow cooker, you can certainly use recipes, but you'll soon find that you get the hang of it and "just wing it" after awhile

Do a Google search for "Slow cooker recipes", there are thousands of recipes.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Using a slow cooker is so easy.  You don't even need to use recipes.  However, if you are uncomfortable with a slow cooker, you can certainly use recipes, but you'll soon find that you get the hang of it and "just wing it" after awhile

Thanks Natalie! I really want to use my slow cooker but I'm concerned about drying out foods.

We have two crockpots, a large one with a timer function (switch to "keep warm" after X number of hours) and a small one with no timer, just high/low. It's just two of us so I have trouble filling up the large crockpot - I think the crockpot needs to be 3/4 full to cook properly, right? But the small one only has a low setting, not keep warm. Most recipes call for 4-6 hours on low, maybe 8. The smallest margin I have is 9 hours... if I put it in EXACTLY as I left at 7am, and if my boyfriend got home EXACTLY at 4pm to turn it off. Which is not likely. So we are looking more like a 10 hour margin-- double the cooking time it calls for!

One of my hugest pet peeves is throwing away food I paid for and put in effort to make, only to have to buy/make more food. So, making perfectly good food inedible by drying it out is not an option. Do you have any advice? 

Sorry to hijack the thread!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The betty crocker website has some great ones!  Allrecipes.com does as well!  I have a 3 ring binder with page protectors I use for all the recipes I get online and print off.  That binder is nearly full now and a good percentage of the recipes are for a slow cooker!  I get a lot of use out of both of mine!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, guys! I really do appreciate your kind words! I try, really I do. And I enjoy my time in the kitchen so much that I don't really consider doing this as "work". 

I've really considered SS this year, but I'm so afraid that I won't get my stuff out in time or something will happen. That's what holds me back. I always read the threads about SS and you all have such a great time with it.

I always watched Grandma and Mom when they did their canning. And they canned everything but meat. Dad built Mom a huge pantry in their basement and it was always full of tomatoes, green beans, corn, and canned potatoes. They didn't have a freezer when we were growing up, other than what was with the fridge, so if Mom wanted to preserve anything, she had to can it. She always did lime pickles and bread-and-butter pickles. Lots of grape jam and jelly. Tons and tons of peaches. There were always peaches in the basement. My MIL did the same thing, although not to the extent that my mom did. (When I decided that I wanted to try canning pickles a few years ago, I called my MIL and asked her for her water bath canner. She started laughing and told me it's been waiting in the basement for me for years! I had always told her that I would never can anything; she says she knew better and figured that it was best to save it for me anyway. It is now in my basement; she doesn't want it back.)

I've always frozen things and we've always had a big freezer in the basement. I've frozen applesauce for longer than I even want to think about...it's Rick favorite food. Apple pies and dumplings. I love to have food on hand for when people come to dinner or for when our son comes to our house. And, of course, those meals come in so handy on nights when we're so busy we don't know which end is up. I always make sure our freezer is full.

I never canned anything until a couple of years ago. Then I decided to try pickles. I dearly love pickles and with my grandmother gone and my parents getting older and not being able to do what they used to do, if I wanted pickles, I had to make them myself. I think the best compliment I got was when I had given a few jars of lime pickles to Mom. Her caretaker was there one night (she was Amish and such a nice lady). She tasted my lime pickles and told Mom to tell me that my lime pickles were better than hers ever were! And that Mom needed to get my recipe! How cool is that? And from there, I just kept going. I won't can vegetables; I don't see the use in that as we have the freezers. I won't can tomatoes; for some reason home-canned tomatoes scare the heck out of me! I really wish Grandma was still alive; the things that woman could teach me. 

Rick says that as long as we can garden, we will. Grandma always had a truck patch of a garden and so did Rick's grandfather. We started out gardening again a few years ago and the space was fairly small. Each year, he tills just a few more feet and we add something else. This year, we tried lima beans; we have gotten just a few pods, not even enough to cook (although I cook them anyway in a little saucepan, just because they are ours). But we like to garden, as long as we can keep the critters away from the plants! You have no idea how angry Rick was over losing the corn....and yes, we could have bought corn and froze it. But we do have a few quarts of corn left from 2012, so we won't starve. One of my GFs constantly reminds us, much to Rick's frustration. that she buys her produce instead of growing it. But we enjoy the garden and it gets us up off the couch.

Crock pots. Well, crock pots are easy to use. Like Natalie mentions, there are some great websites out there for crock pot recipes. (And may I say that we've got a great Crock Pot thread on TCS, too!) You might want to check out a couple cookbooks for crock pots; I think Taste of Home has a crock pot cookbook....I think it's on my cookbook shelf at home, in fact. I will check. I can't get along with a crock pot, especially during the winter months, when we come home from work and the soup or stew is ready to eat. There are some really good pot roast recipes for crock pots, too. And lots of chicken recipes. And don't forget pulled pork sandwiches....from the crock pot. You can dry meat out in a crock pot, if you're not careful....I've done it, largely because I used a smaller amount of food than I should have. I would advise you to buy a new crock pot.....in a size that would be good for the two of you. With a timer. And when you make a recipe, use the required amounts of food and set the timer to start cooking at the right time. But you also have to be careful that the food doesn't just sit there at room temp for awhile, too, as that could make you ill. Whatever is leftover, you can throw into the freezer for another meal later on.

A lot of times, I will make something in the crock pot on Sunday for Monday night's dinner, especially if we're not coming home from work until later. Then I have to heat it in the microwave, but it still doesn't take as long as cooking it from scratch on a busy night.

With seven cats in the house, I am leery of using the crock pot when I'm at work. I used to keep it back in the computer room during the day and would shut the door to keep the cats out of the room. Since Muffin came to live with us, though, she pretty much has the run of the computer room. Now I prepare the crock pot and put it in the basement on top of the dryer and plug it in there. I don't worry about it being on during the day as long as it's away from the furry gang.

ParsleySage, you might want to look into a pressure cooker? You can have your meat, vegetables and such prepped and ready to go in the morning before you leave for work. Then when you or your BF get home, put everything in the cooker. In an hour, you can have really good pot roast. Or a small roasted chicken. The electric PCs are so easy to use. I was scared to death the first couple of times I used ours; in fact, I wouldn't let Rick even leave the kitchen, I was so paranoid. He had to sit at the table the entire time the PC was turned on. Now? Easy-peasey! He does his thing while I make dinner in the PC. Mac and cheese in about 7-8 minutes or so. And it's quite good! When we were remodeling the kitchen and I had to rely on small appliances for meals, that pressure cooker saved my life more than once. I would highly recommend an electric PC....can't recommend the stove top ones, though, as I don't use my stove top pressure cooker/canner in the kitchen. So I can't say yay or nay.

While the PC is doing its thing, I will make a salad or heat dinner rolls, set the table, etc. Often, til we're ready, the PC is, too. And today's PCs will brown the meat, too. No extra pans to wash.

I like pears and would to make pear pies. Rick does not like them and I can't see making pies just for me, although I'm sure my sister and BIL would help me eat them. 

Last edited:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I need to get canning! I don't do as much as in previous years.

Pam, make chili sauce! The aroma while it cooks is reason enough to make it!

I normally only make condiments: sweet pickles, 3-pepper relish (Bell peppers), applesauce, fig-balsamic vinegar preserves, lemon marmalade. green tomato relish and chili sauce. I also can a hamburger mix, which is handyYou must usepressure canner for any meats, NOT the hot water bath method.

(Why is my text now back-spacing?!???)

I've always wanted to can butter.  You use normal butter, but it melts, then hardens into a soft, spreadable butter. Canning it makes it last for a few years, un-refrigerated.

I don't find that canning vegetables is worth it for me, except for tomato (which is really a fruit) products.

I used to hate figs and balsamic vinegar, but LOVE them together in preserves. Try it sometime!  It's even good on peanut butter sandwiches. I often eat it slathered on warm, soft breadsticks, that have melted butter and coarse salt on them, with (dry) Parmesan cheese. YUMMMMMM..... Just be aware that figs can have a laxative effect. Wish I had remembered that before gorging on those breadsticks!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Pam, how the heck do you lose weight when you have those marvelous cooking skills???!!?

Don't be afraid to can tomatoes! In fact, stewed tomatoes were my first canning batch, and I'm still alive!

I agree about Crock Pots. I couldn't live without mine--we have 3 of them--sometimes all going at once on a Sunday morning, often making the same thing--some for dinner that night; the rest to freeze in small batches.

This is why, on the "What's for dinner tonight" thread, I usually post on Sundays, and mention the Crock Pot recipes! They make the best soups, stews and meats. I wouldn't cook soup, chili or stew in any other fashion.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
It's difficult for me to lose weight.....it really is! I try to watch what I eat and try to be careful not to eat too much. And walk, walk, walk! 
 My problem is that I dearly love to cook, I love to bake, and I love to eat. So it's a catch-22 thing with me.

I don't know why I worry so much about tomatoes, but I do. A friend of mine has a daughter and son-in-law who canned 40+ quarts of tomatoes last year. When they started to open their jars? Every single jar was spoiled. Badly. The smell alone was enough to knock their socks off. They don't know what they did wrong and her daughter was devastated....all that money and effort down the drain. I'd be devastated, too. So yeah, tomatoes scare me. That's why I freeze them and dry them instead. Some day, maybe I'll try to can them. One of my GFs is an "expert" canner of pretty much everything and she told me to come out and help her with her tomatoes so that I could get some ideas. I also have the Ball Blue Book of Canning and Preserving, I think it's called. That's where I got the idea for the honey-glazed red onions that I love so much.

Crock pots are magnificent little appliances! Absolutely wonderful things! 
 (So is my pressure cooker...that's why I suggested it to ParsleySage. It's a great appliance.)

As for chili sauce, my sister is the chili sauce guru and I depend on her to give me several jars, enough to get me through the winter. I asked her the other night and she says she's planning on doing some, so I hope she does. I think her chili sauce recipe includes peaches and pears, too? I'll have to ask her about it. I know it's good stuff.

I pretty much only can condiments, too. Not much in the way  of vegetables, simply because I can freeze them so handily. I've not canned meat or meat products yet.

Butter! Now that's interesting! I may have to research that!

I used to have a balsamic vinegar with figs and it was truly wonderful stuff. I'd pour it into a sauce pan and reduce it down for a bit of sauce for vegetables or even pork chops. I used it all and haven't found it anywhere in our stores. I could probably find it online. That preserve would be downright decadent on breadsticks!

We don't eat much in the way of preserves that often. Not on bread anyway. But I love to experiment with preserves to create new kinds of glazes and sauces, especially for grilling.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom canned a lot of tomatoes every year.  I don't know anything about canning other than I dreaded it every year, but she had a bit pot that she used for canning and she put the jars in boiling water for a while.  That really heated up the house.  I remember she always checked to make sure that they sealed.  I think it was just a depression in the lid.  I don't remember there ever being a big problem with spoilage.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
One of the things that I enjoy after a canning session is listening for the "ping" that tells me that the lid sealed. Rick even listens for the jars to "ping".

***knock on wood*** I've not yet had a problem with a jar not sealing.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish some of you had these pears on my tree and the grapes on my vines. I use to try to save it all in jars when my son was still here. It took a lot of food for him. Now I buy a jar of jelly at the Dollar Store for a buck or two and let my friends come pick the grapes. I have been stung two times by wasps this year trying to help friends pick so I am over that. The wasps or my friends can helpl themselves. I do usually try to cook some of the pears like canned pears, but I put them in the freezer. We already took a bushel to church for friends and there is probably another bushel out there to pick.:lol3:

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I wish some of you had these pears on my tree and the grapes on my vines. I use to try to save it all in jars when my son was still here. It took a lot of food for him. Now I buy a jar of jelly at the Dollar Store for a buck or two and let my friends come pick the grapes. I have been stung two times by wasps this year trying to help friends pick so I am over that. The wasps or my friends can helpl themselves. I do usually try to cook some of the pears like canned pears, but I put them in the freezer. We already took a bushel to church for friends and there is probably another bushel out there to pick.:lol3:
That's how I feel about tomatoes, green beans and walnuts this year! :lol3: I just spent another morning in the kitchen wondering how in the world we're going to be able to use all the tomato puree and frozen beans and dreading having to shake the walnut trees and pick up and bag all the nuts.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I would have gladly taken your grapes and dehydrated them for raisins!

We have a black walnut tree and last year it produced a huge number of walnuts. The problem is......I hate walnut with a passion and won't ever use them. The squirrels love them, though, and we have little walnut trees cropping up throughout the yard.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up in an area that had a lot of black walnut trees and I loved homemade black walnut ice cream.   Here in Ohio I very rarely see them, just occasionally during the holidays.  There's one ice cream shop that sells black walnut ice cream and I very rarely see it in the grocery store.