Putting Litter Box In The Garage

Buckeye22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have an attached garage, I'm considering putting the cat boxes in there and installing a cat door so the cats can get to it in their own. If I decide to do this I will no longer park in the garage so I don't have to worry about hitting them or them running outside.

Before I try this though I'm concerned that the garage will get too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. I live in NC so the temp is usually in the 90's in the summer and very humid. In the winter the lows are usually down in the twenties or thirties but get down to the teens a few times over the winter.

If it gets too hot or cold wild that make the cats less likely to use the litter box and go somewhere else in the house? I imagine they wouldn't like the fee of cold litter in their paws, and the hungry in the summer might make the litter a little damp, not to mention the smell would be much worse.

Anyone ever put their litter boxes in an attached garage? How did it go?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never done it because I need to put the car in it, and there's no way I would risk my cats getting run over or killed in the engine. North Carolina does get very hot in the summer, and it can be suffocating. I doubt if it would be hot enough to discourage your cats, but the humidity will increase the odor. All things considered, I don't think it's a good idea to put the litter boxes out there.

It might be better to look at litter that controls the odor. I use Fresh Step and have a high-sided box in the corner of the kitchen, and there is no odor and the box is not very visible. Other members have their favorite litters and will probably make some suggestions.

If you have a basement, that's a good place to put the boxes. I have boxes down there, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buckeye22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish I had a basement, that'd be the best option but most house don't have basements in NC.

I think I'm leaning towards keeping. The boxes in the house, I just think the heat and hungry would make the boxes too smelly if I put them in the garage.

IsabellaKennedy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_6477.JPG
We live in NC as well. I have two cats that go out into the garage for their litter box. My husband built an awesome enclosure and I have space for my car still. My cats LOVE it! They hang out there sometimes or we will leave the garage door open and they can watch the birds. It's fine in summer. We've done it for almost 3 years.

IsabellaKennedy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 194937 We live in NC as well. I have two cats that go out into the garage for their litter box. My husband built an awesome enclosure and I have space for my car still. My cats LOVE it! They hang out there sometimes or we will leave the garage door open and they can watch the birds. It's fine in summer. We've done it for almost 3 years.

IsabellaKennedy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 194937 We live in NC as well. I have two cats that go out into the garage for their litter box. My husband built an awesome enclosure and I have space for my car still. My cats LOVE it! They hang out there sometimes or we will leave the garage door open and they can watch the birds. It's fine in summer. We've done it for almost 3 years.

bluebirdy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I kept the litter box in the bathroom as the least objectional place for those smells anyway :p

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats view litter boxes as a way to claim territory. So maybe put a litter box in the garage with the door propped open, while keeping your old litter boxes where they are. Once they get used to it, then install the garage kitty door. When they get used to that then move their other boxes to the garage? I would put the boxes by the door that leads to the house and give them a cat tree in there. That way you are expanding their territory.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother and stepfather have an attached garage with two rooms, one of which is just storage. They keep food, water, and litter in there for my stepsister's cat, with a flap in the kitchen door.

This is done for two reasons-Mom doesn't want the litter in the house, and this also prevents their dog from getting into it. It's worked out very well.