Putting Down A Pet That Isn't Yours

Kimberly07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband's Aunt passed away unexpectedly this past weekend and because she lived alone, she had been gone for several days. She had four cats, one of which was in really really bad shape, not moving, only shrieked once when I picked her up, so we tried to feed her during the chaos, but she just wouldn't do it. Her pupils where huge and she literally wouldn't move. About 10 minutes later, you couldn't see her breathing anymore and she wasn't moving, but would have jerk like body movements. I found a vet that would be willing to take her and cremate her. I wrapped her snuggly in a towel, placed her in a shallow box and drove her to the vet. When I went to get her out of the car, her body jerked again hard and scared me half to death. Upon examination by the vet, she still had a slight heart beat, but was definatly in the process of dying per the Vet, which I knew already. We made the decision instantly to go ahead and euthanize her to put her out of her suffering and trauma she had experienced with her owner passing away and no food and water for days. I feel so bad for this little girl. I'm sure she was so scared and not feeling well in her final days. At least she was loved on before she crossed the bridge.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dang

I'm incredibly glad you were there for her, bless your heart!!

RIP sweetheart, baby, you're pain free now :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your aunt's passing but so thankful she had you to check in at times. Two deaths were enough, and you saved three more little lives by being there. You will be blessed for your kindness, that sweet little one was in dire need of comfort and you provided it. She was surrounded by her owner's love, that will bring her peace. She couldn't face the world any more and chose to join the one she loved above all else. She was traumatized beyond saving, may God have mercy on her tiny soul, and mercy on those left behind to mourn. You performed an act of mercy, and you offered comfort in a tiny being's last moments, thank you and know you will be rewarded.
RIP sweet girl, you will join the one who loves you so much, as it should be and always will be, eternally joined by love. May the good Lord bless and keep you both, until you all can meet again!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You were put in a difficult position but you handled it with the utmost care and kindness. You gave her peace when she needed it the most and ended her suffering. She has been returned to the one who loved her the most and they both will be forever grateful to you for your kindness and compassion.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
This is one of my fears... what if my wife and I are going on a day trip ~300km away get hit by a truck and killed?

Maybe I should write a note and put it in my wallet to have someone contacted to check on my cats/take care of them.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or you could tell someone before you go on your trip when you'll be gone and when you'll be back and to check on the cats if you don't call in on time.

I've often thought there should be a service where people called in to say they were alive every other day so someone would know to check on their animals.

Kimberly07 Kimberly07 you did the kindest thing anyone could have done when you helped her cross to her dearest friend's arms. Her scream was the relief that she could share her grief with you. That you thought she had already gone proves the safety she felt in your arms.

Mark Lehrkind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I still think about Crystal she sat by her dad, Ralph, for many days he was already gone but she didn’t know all she knew was he stopped taking care of her. When the neighbors finally came it was too late, but she was a good dog til the end. She was already kind of old but...cry...and it has been years. I’m glad I didn’t have to make that decision. She was such a good girl.

WinniesMomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry! To lose your aunt and then to have that event happen as well. The kitty was lucky to have you guys there to help release her from pain.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am also very sorry to hear about your husband's aunt.

Please don't ever doubt that you made the right decision. You and your husband are very kind. You not only did right by the cat, you did right by his aunt, the nicest thing you could have done for her. She wouldn't have wanted her cat to suffer after her death.