Putting Cat Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda and Vader

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this so I apologize if it is not.

Our 1 year old baby has not been eating and is very lethargic and has fluid in his abdominal cavity. We are waiting for the test results but they're pretty sure its FIP. We are expecting that we will have to put him down soon because he hasn't eaten other then a few bites in a long time. Our other cat seems ok thank God but he is 2 and already has a long term illness so they weren't worried about him contracting it.

We have never had to put a pet down as these 2 are our first babies so I was wondering what we should expect. Obviously it is going to be terrible regardless but we are having such a hard time with the thought of doing it because hes still just a baby.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I am so, so sorry you are going through this. It’s always heartbreaking, but especially so when they are so young. My heartfelt sympathies.

I’ve only experienced putting a cat down once, this past December. We opted to have the vet come to our house, so my experience may be atypical. It was more expensive, but he was comfortable and surrounded by his family in familiar surroundings. It also let our other two cats observe and recognize that he was gone, which we think helped their grieving process.

I think the actual procedure is the same. There are two shots - It starts with a sedative to calm them and remove any pain. They are pretty out of it. Then, when ready, the final injection is done. That part is very quick and very gentle. The vet will check the vitals.

Again, deepest sympathies. It sounds like you have this guy an amazing 1 year, and he was lucky to have you. Don’t be a stranger, we are here for help and support.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hello - I'm so sorry!

It depends, --if you're able to, you might want to consider an at home procedure. Most of these, I've read, are handled very well, but ask any questions and/or request a description of what the person will do.

If you go to a clinic, it can possibly be more chaotic depending on what else is going on, or if your kitty is stressed by going to the vet.

:vibes::alright: :grouphug:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry you and your baby are going through this. We had to put down Tawny with FIP at age 15. It was many, many years ago, and I am not sure in home visits were even an option. So, we drove him to the vet. The 2 shots were also administered just as KarenKat KarenKat stated.

While we may have caused it (we had his belly drained 3 times before it was decided we needed to stop), he was very dehydrated and it made the procedure much more difficult, so just be aware of that. You might even ask the vet about the dehydration factor just so you know that up front, especially if you would choose to have the vet come to your house.

BentleysMom96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My deepest condolences that you are going through this heart-wrenching situation. There's not much you can prepare for a time like this. Unfortunately death is a part of life and there's no easy way around it.
You are going to grieve. It is going to hurt. I just hope that with time, your hearts will fully heal. <3
We had to suddenly put our Marvin cat down a couple years ago. He was an outdoor cat. We tried our best to keep him indoors, but he would literally break through our windows to get outside. There was no taming him. We're not entirely sure what happened to him, but he ended up on our doorstep, half ran-over with tire marks on his body. It was the worst vision that I cannot escape. We took him to the vet because he was crying in so much pain. I would've done anything to take that away from him.
Ultimately we had to put him down. They give him two shots total. It isn't painful. Your kitty won't feel a thing. You will be able to hold him the entire time. He will slowly drift away from the injections and it will be hard. You just have to be strong for him. He would want you to be happy that he is no longer in pain and suffering.
Best of luck to your family. I'm crying as I write this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yoda and Vader

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your responses. We ended up taking him to the vet for the procedure. He was very out of it so he wasn't stressed out I dont believe. He was so small it only took a couple minutes for the sedative to kick in and then he went very quickly. Our hearts are broken but it is the best thing we could've done for him

BentleysMom96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My condolences to you and your family. <3 He definitely understood that you were sending him to a better place. Sending love your way.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
RIP little baby. :alright: If/when you are ready, you can post a pic of him along with any thoughts you would like to say about your little guy in the 'Crossing the Bridge' section of this site.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry for the loss of you kitty. It sounds like the process was gentle and loving for him. My deepest sympathies.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My sincere condolences and deepest regrets on the loss of your one year old cat. I'm sorry this was your first experience having to lose a beloved pet. RIP sweet angel. :angel: Hold your other cat closely and give him a big hug. :hugs:

When you are ready please feel free to write a tribute to your special boy here:
Crossing the Bridge

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry you had to have your cat PTS Yoda and Vader Yoda and Vader

We always lock the threads when a cat has passed away, so I'll lock this one now.

I hope your other cat remains healthy. Condolences from everyone on TCS.

:angelcat:

Status
Not open for further replies.