Put your thinking caps on--why is she doing this?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First let me preface with this: Yes, I have an outdoor cat. Yes, I am aware of dangers of having an outdoor cat. Yes, I am aware of the dangers of the behavior she is currently exhibiting. But please understand (and some are aware of Ginger's situation) the life I am providing was her best option, and thus I will end defending my decision to keep her as an outdoor cat.

Here we go:

We moved approximately 6 weeks ago, about 1/4 mile from our old house. To get from our new house to our old house, one could avoid almost all roads by going through yards.

The first two weeks we lived in our new house Ginger was caged outside in a large dog crate, just like at our old house when first introducing her and each day she was walked on leash to explore her new 'territory' if you will, which is exactly how we introduced her at the old house to life out of the cage.

Week three she was released to 'freedom' and on Friday morning she was gone. We called for her etc nothing. So on my way home from work Friday I stopped by our old house--on a whim and there she was--actually not at our old house two doors down in the front yard hunting bugs. So in the car she went and home we came. She was fine at our house until Friday came again. I went out to leave for work in the morning and feed her and she was gone. So I went to work, text me old neighbor who said, yep I saw her earlier. So after work I went to the old house and there she was in the yard at the same house two doors down waiting for me.

So its now the 4th time I've gone to pick up my sweet angel and I can't think of a single reason why she goes on Thursday night/Friday morning--every week. I have racked my brain. She had her babies on a Monday, so its not that. My husbands work schedule is different every week, I work Monday-Friday 8-5 every week.

Any clues why?

More facts, the house she is going to, the inhabitants are not feeding her, we know them as well.

Our old house is empty currently--its a rental, so nobody there is feeding her.

She is a transplant from another neighborhood to our old house. I brought her there in April very pregnant and she was housed outside on our front porch in a large dog crate for about 4 months until she had her babies, they found homes and she was spayed.

There are strays in that neighborhood.

Thanks for any insight!!

Leslie

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Perhaps that was the first place she was really truly well cared for?

Is there any reason you can think of that she might not feel safe where you are living now?

Perhaps something odd startles her, making her leave - garbage pick-up? A neighbor who is gone otherwise comes home on Thurs/Fris?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is quite possibly the first place she knew love--but like I said she is content and happy here 6 days out of the week!

It isn't trash pick up day I thought of that

I did think perhaps the mailman gives her a treat on fridays?

Leslie

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

It is quite possibly the first place she knew love--but like I said she is content and happy here 6 days out of the week!

It isn't trash pick up day I thought of that

I did think perhaps the mailman gives her a treat on fridays?

Leslie
Do you have the same mailman at your new house? Maybe you could ask him if he could give your kitty a treat at your new house? (If he was giving her treats that is)

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats the thing our new mailman doesn't come up to the house as our mailboxes are at the street. I'm not sure if its the same man or not.

Leslie

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well maybe you can give her a special treat before she runs away to see if that could make her stay. You could try this every week and see if she stays and then reduce it down gradually. You could try something she really likes that she doesn't get too often. Maybe if she sees that it is good to stay home she will. Just a thought. Hope this helps.

fiddledee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know what would be happening to make her go back to her old home on certain days of the week. Usually the general gist of why cats return to their old homes was because it was safe and secure, plus like humans they are timid of change and like tradition/repetition.

Perhaps you can do like someone else suggested and make Thursday/Friday a good time for her to be at her new home. Perhaps treats or something special that she would not ordinarily have. Save this thing/event for just Thursdays and Fridays of every week, and eventually her internal clock will realize what day of the week it is and perhaps associate something good with that day.

Other than that, I can't really help you anymore. It baffles me why she goes home certain days of the week. It's apparent that you've tried thinking and tested every reason possible, but got no results. I'm curious as well. Please keep us updated with your kitty, and hopefully she stays safe on her little weekly adventures.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't understand that either.
When I started caring for ferals I tried to read and learn as much as I could find about feral and pet cats. I don't know if this is true or even if I can relay it correctly, but maybe it will help.

Cats are all about territory, inside or outside. They have a certain thing to do at a certain time of each day. Because you are so close to the old house, she probably sees at least some of that to be her territory. Outside cats will travel in a 2 mile diameter as their territory. (Maybe someone with better knowledge can give a more accurate picture)

Is there any way you can secure her before she leaves and let her out when you get home? The cage she stayed in before, a bathroom or laundry room, anything to try to break that routine she has now.

Sorry I don't remember much about having read this, just thought it might help in some way.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny you mention that skimble, I have thought about putting her in the garage when I get home tomorrow evening (thursday night) and seeing if I can break the cycle. I think I'll try it and see how it goes. The worst that can happen is she goes on Friday night/Saturday morning.

Leslie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My question is - if you don't pick her up, does she come back home later Friday or Saturday?
Like Skimble says - cats are all about territory, and where you live now being so close has just changed the "center" of her territory, not the area itself so much. But that's very interesting and very strange!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if she will come home...and I'm too worried of a mom to let her try.

I didn't lock her up tonight like planned, I decided to take her nightly meal out early and give her lots of love and told her not to go on her field trip. We'll see if she's here in the morning.

Leslie

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My precious darling was HERE this morning!!!! I was so happy to see here and loved on her and thanked her and told her I was so happy she stayed and didn't want her to keep leaving. She was still here when I got home and I again loved on her and praised her. I told her "I'm so glad you didn't go to the old house today, mommy worries when you leave and THIS is your home now." We'll see how things turn out next week--or if she goes tonight...

Leslie