Pus oozing abscess and HOLES in her skin! :(

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I knew my meowmy instincts were right...I just didn't know the right place to look. :( 

Tonight, I was out in the garage giving momma and percy their nighttime canned food and I went to pet her and felt something hard.  I parted her 3 inch (truly...sooo long) fur and dug to the skin and found an abscess that is about the size of a 50 cent piece!  :(  It was oozing a bloody looking pus that had gotten crusted in her fur (making it hard) and there are two or three tiny HOLES in her skin!!!  I tried to clip away the fur and couldn't do it...I was just so afraid I would hurt her.

I called the ER vet immediately and they told me that it could wait until in the morning because she had a shot of Convenia on Friday for the suspected UTI.  On Friday, this horrible abscess was nothing more than a healed over SCRATCH!  She would cry when I touched her there...I guess it was swollen even then, but I couldn't tell because her fur is so long.

She is still eating and she was out hunting today and came in tonight just like she always does.  I am just scared for her.  I have read that she will likely have to be put under to clean and disinfect the wound.  :(  I feel bad I didn't catch it sooner or do something!  I feel bad that she is outside where she can get hurt like that!  But she is the kind of cat that truly does not want to be inside.  I have tried!  She is partially feral and I don't think she has ever lived inside a house before.  She climbed the walls wanting back outside and she hates all of my other animals and viciously attacks them.  She can't be an inside cat...I just feel bad that she had obviously fought with some other animal.  And then I start thinking about rabies (big can of worms there) - she is UTD on all of her shots, but it still freaks me out to think she has been fighting with another animal. 

We are going to the vet at 7:30AM tomorrow.  :( 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, that does sound like a bite..... Luckily, she did take Convenia, and it is one of the best antibiotics for that :nod:
Is she vaccinated against FIV and FeLV?
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
:hugs: for momma :hugs:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lots of vibes for Momma. Some cats just won't stay inside, as much as you try and as much as you want it for her. You take very good care of her and Percy, you have nothing to feel bad about at.all.

I hope the visit goes well tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She had the Leukemia vaccine and the "combo shot."  She was tested for FIV, but unless the shot is in the combo, I don't think one was offered to us for that.  :(  I actually didn't know there was an FIV shot until I was reading online tonight about the bite stuff. 

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lots of vibes for Momma. Some cats just won't stay inside, as much as you try and as much as you want it for her. You take very good care of her and Percy, you have nothing to feel bad about at.all.
I hope the visit goes well tomorrow.

Thank you.  That means a lot.  I have never kept cats outside before, and this has been hard for me.  I really want to keep Momma and Percy inside.  I think he woudl be fine with it, but she just isn't...and I don't want her out there alone, so I keep him out there too.  He is fine with it...and he is the only cat she can get along with (because he is her son).  I am just really down right now.  I feel like I have failed her.  :(  If anything happens to her, I won't forgive myself!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things happen, don't blame yourself, and they can happen inside too. My indoor/outdoor cat Bonaparte is on antibiotics for an abscess on his tail which has caused a horrible swelling. But he was indoors for four days (because of the hunters out during the holidays) before I noticed the bump under the fur, and I think he was bitten by another one of my cats. Bonaparte could never be an inside cat either, although when he is in he is a real lapcat. But trouble can arise whatever you do.

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:  Momma Kitty is resting at the vet today.  It was a bite wound abscess - they said you could see the two holes when they got the fur shaved down enough.  They irrigated the wound and she is going to have to stay inside for a few days while it scabs over.  They only charged me $54 for the cleaning and shaving of the wound and her all day stay (until hubby gets off work and can bring her home).  I am kind of glad she has to stay there until hubby gets off.  This way, she is inside where it is warm (whether she likes it or not!) and can't take to roaming or rolling in dirt and messing up her wound!

Any vibes you can spare are still appreciated.  Keeping an outdoor kitty confined inside for several days is going to be about as fun as a root canal...for both of us!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad she is resting at the vet's and so glad you found that abscess bite wound :nod:... Now it will be healing up fast, don't worry. Here are some calming vibes for you Rebecca, as you try to manage keeping her inside for a few days. I know that won't be easy. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: and some hugs too :hugs::hugs::hugs:. AND MORE VIBES for Momma Kitty to heal quickly and be able to get back to what she loves in the outdoors!!!!! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks Lauren!  I can't help but wonder...who won (the cat fight)?  I have an idea of who it was she fought with.  We have a black cat - very skiddish and feral - that lives out near the road.  Of course, we all know that cats have a HUGE territory.  Apparently one of them got into the other's territory.  :(  I did notice that I haven't seen the black cat around in awhile.  I really hope Momma didn't kill her!!!  :( :( :(  Momma HATES other cats.  I wish she didn't...but she does.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AWWWW Don't you just wish we could sit them down and have a one-on-one with them :lol3:... We just can't - but boy I wish I could even with my own six. There is just no perfect world when loving and caring for cat's. We just have to manage and unfortunately that management put's a HUGE hole in our pocketbook's. :hugs: and :vibes:

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes...it definitely puts a hole in the pocketbook.  Right now is particularly tough because we have Blue who is elderly and dealing with cancer/thyroid issues which require monthly meds, special food, and bi-yearly blood checks (at $135 a pop).  We also have Rosco (the cocker) who had dealt with SEVERE allergy issues since he was a pup.  He eats a special diet, takes allergy shots, and regularly has to go to the vet for checks and flares (staph introducted by scratching) and take antibiotics on occasion.  Of course, Momma has had this issue and then the suspected UTI on Friday  - $138 total for the two visits.  Last month, Rex and Chloe BOTH had to have their yearly exams (over $100 each) and Meowgie has been racking up the Kitten shot bills.  Of course, we also switched foods due to the Purina issues - we went to a much more expensive food (Natural Balance) which we LOVE, but the cost is definitely there too.  Oh..and Meowgie is almost ready to be neutered! 

All this to say that at times, it can be a strain on the walllet.  Of course, I would rather go hungry than deny my animals medical care.  It is a no-brainer for us.  :)

Of course, I guess I could always stop buying beds and toys and pads and blankets for them all the time if I REALLY start hurting for $.  ;)  Oh, who am I kidding??  Nahhhhh!  LOL