Purry is vomiting

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone: I adopted a 2 yo spayed female that I found on the local golf course. Purry has been with us 2 months. She is a beautiful, happy kitty. I was feeding her a variety of Fancy Feast pate flavours. Recently she has been vomiting. She vomited 6 times since Sept 17. I took her to the vet on Tuesday and she recommended limiting the type of food for 7 days and see what happens. She vomited again today after only 3 days on baked chicken (cut up - human grade - no spices) and Fancy Feast Cod, Sole and Shrimp Feast. I have cut out all treats, but don’t know how to proceed. I know tuna is not good, so I have never fed her that. The vet sold me some Hill’s Prescription Diet Z/D wet. I am not giving her any kibble at all. How do I transition her to the Z/D? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would suggest removing fish flavors for a bit and see if that helps anything. Also a slow transition should be done with a small amount of the new food being mixed with the old at each meal with gradual increases every so often. Sorry I dont know exact amounts. Hopefully someone with more / better info will be along shortly.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. She is very pretty! Although it is possible for a cat to all of a sudden acquire an allergy to food they have eaten consistently, I would also consider other sources as well. She has eaten the same foods for nearly two months before the vomiting started, so it could be something else altogether. Any one or two particular FF foods that you have recently added to the mix that might be the culprit(s)? A bad batch of foods, if ordered all from the same place? Are there things inside (or outside) the home she might be getting into? Hairballs? How is her stool?

Also, when is she vomiting? Right after eating? Is the food totally or partially digested, or not at all? Does she vomit in the morning, or after an extended period of time between meals? Any other events/activities going on that coincide with her vomiting?

It isn't as crucial to do a real slow transition from one wet food to another, but gradually increasing the new and decreasing the old isn't a bad idea, perhaps over a couple of weeks. Do a comparison of ingredients in all the foods, just so you know what you are dealing with in terms of content.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks my hooman cat friends. We first thought she was eating grass, as she goes outside only on a leash. We stopped her from eating grass (she cat-swears at us when we say “no grass!”). In the original vet visit we told the vet she vomited after eating grass. Now we know it’s not the grass. She usually vomits 45 minutes to 1 hr after she eats with partially digested food in the vomit. Our house is mostly tomb-quiet with the most exciting thing happening being our hummingbirds outside. I will try slowly transitioning her to the z/d. Also we are in touch with the former owners and they sent info on the food she ate with them for 1 year. I have to drive to “heck and gone” to get that food, but I’ll do it for my darling girl. I think removing fish flavours might be a good idea as well. I have to become a cat-nutrition sleuth. If she continues to vomit, and/or it becomes frequent, I’ll make another vet appointment for an x-ray, or whatever the vet suggests. Thanks so much for your help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also we are in touch with the former owners and they sent info on the food she ate with them for 1 year. I have to drive to “heck and gone” to get that food, but I’ll do it for my darling girl.
I didn't know finding out what she previously ate was an option! I would definitely try to get some! And, the same thing goes, if you get that food, then compare it to the FF you've been feeding her. I am not saying not to try the Z/D, but so much of that stuff isn't worth what the cost is and leaves you no where to go even if it does work. It would be great to know what she was eating before, assuming it didn't cause her any issues.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks my hooman cat friends. We first thought she was eating grass, as she goes outside only on a leash. We stopped her from eating grass (she cat-swears at us when we say “no grass!”). In the original vet visit we told the vet she vomited after eating grass. Now we know it’s not the grass. She usually vomits 45 minutes to 1 hr after she eats with partially digested food in the vomit. Our house is mostly tomb-quiet with the most exciting thing happening being our hummingbirds outside. I will try slowly transitioning her to the z/d. Also we are in touch with the former owners and they sent info on the food she ate with them for 1 year. I have to drive to “heck and gone” to get that food, but I’ll do it for my darling girl. I think removing fish flavours might be a good idea as well. I have to become a cat-nutrition sleuth. If she continues to vomit, and/or it becomes frequent, I’ll make another vet appointment for an x-ray, or whatever the vet suggests. Thanks so much for your help.
My cat Emrys will eat grass when he has a hair ball or something to help himself vomit it out. So that's a sign that there may be something else going on causing her to vomit.