Purry has learned to use the cat door!

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone: I just want to brag a little. Purry is 3 1/2 years, female, spayed. She lives with her 1 year old brother Boogie (Maine Coon Cross). Purry is 6 lbs, Boogie is 12 lbs.

We had a catio installed in May. Boogie started using it almost immediately (he is an indoor kitty). Purry was not so keen (she walks on leash with me twice a day).

We tried propping open the flap, encouraging her. Nothing worked. She did not like the feel on the cat door flap on her face. So now it is 8 moths later. Until a couple of days ago she would sit on the window ledge and meow so the hooman would let her out. When she wanted in she would stand on her hind legs and madly scratch the window to let us know.

I finally took a look on youtube. The video I saw said that you need to hold the kitty up to the cat door and extend her paws in front of her and push her through paws first. I tried this, and she got it. However, because I did not go out into the catio and extend her paws to show her how to come back in, she was stuck out there scratching on the window until we let her in.

I finally went out into the catio and did the same thing to show her how to come in. She got it!! I don’t think she is not smart, but rather stubborn. Why should I do this when my hoomans will let me out/in!

I wanted to post this in case anyone else is having trouble getting their kitties to use the cat door.
E037C9E2-BC67-434D-ACB2-88B34B2AAE3F.jpeg
846110C9-377D-4B94-896C-20C2A0BF9917.jpeg
t

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s so lovely to be connected to you guys who understand and appreciate our kitties. Thanks for making me feel included. Purry says thanks for the accolades!:goldstar: